iSonic 72cm / 123L Hoechstgeschwindigkeit

• sehe das genauso !

• Die Marken, die Flextop anbieten, kann man an einer Hand abzählen.

Aber ja, Flextop finde ich besonders in den kleinen Größen auch angenehmer.

• Immer den kürzeren Mast bei 2 möglichen Längen kann man M.E nicht über die Marken verallgemeinern.

Habe 2 V8, bei denen das lt. Neilpryde geht:

8.7 mit 490 und 520

6.2 mit 400 und 430

beide Segel fahren mit dem längeren Mast besser. Mehr Bauch, bessere Kontrolle, stabileres Profil. Beim 6.2er würde ich sogar die grundsätzliche Eignung des eigentlich empfohlenen 400er RDM Mastes absprechen. Außer das die Länge mit der passenden Verlängerung geht ist das mit dem 400er RDM flach wie ein Brett.

• I only tried other masts if a sail doesn't feel balanced or efficient. As a lightweight 10yrs ago I often used softer masts with succes.

Today I am heavier, not trained and have lower responsiveness. Today a (too) softer mast messes up the sail (performance) often for me. In a gust the profile isn't tensioned enough and does oversheet/deform in something nor aërodynamica before I can react properly. I had no problems with a softer mast in the past, I could prevent that the sail would deform out of shape, I did this with responsiveness (open UP sail with boom hand when needed).

Today I tend to buy another sail (brand) if it doesn't work out OR if the good mast/sail breaks too fast. Finding a better mast can be quite a search, the sail should be well made to be worth this effort (and investment). I have promised my young daughter to be carefull, this is why I always use rdm these days. Rdm is no problem actually performance can be really good. Rdm brings me back shore on my sometimes deserted homespot (Gooimeer Ijmeer), which is deep water with (freight) ships.

The "slightly more flextop mast" solution works good for me in bigger sails, for example a 7.8 switchblade (460 rec mast) is nice with a rdm 490 base/460 top. Both the Nolimitz rdm fast (same factory as ezzy masts) and loft rdm (green labels) work out well. I really like the Nolimitz masts, thick walls strong Rdm masts, a backbone to rely on for many years. The loft rdm is made lighter and is a touch softer. In my 8.5 loft switchblade I use the 490 nolimitz rdm base and 490 loft rdm (green label) top which is softer also making it more flextop.

On my current smaller loft switchblade sails (5.8 and 6.3) I don't feel that this flextop strategy is needed, because the luff lenght of the small sail is already quite short, this allready gives automatically a lower center of effort. Using these small sails in their windrange gave never the feeling that the nose of the board is in a very low position.

The beauty of Windsurfing, hundreds of variables and often not one answer. But if you have a magic combo of gear you will enjoy soo much, but never sell (you will regret, I know) .

• Immer den kürzeren Mast bei 2 möglichen Längen kann man M.E nicht über die Marken verallgemeinern.

8.7 mit 490 und 520

6.2 mit 400 und 430

beide Segel fahren mit dem längeren Mast besser. Mehr Bauch, bessere Kontrolle, stabileres Profil. Beim 6.2er würde ich sogar die grundsätzliche Eignung des eigentlich empfohlenen 400er RDM Mastes absprechen. Außer das die Länge mit der passenden Verlängerung geht ist das mit dem 400er RDM flach wie ein Brett.

So ging es mir mit dem 8,8er Bullet: es war eigentlich für einen 460er Naish-Mast konzipiert, doch damit war das Segel weich wie ein nasser Waschlappen. Ein 490er North - minimal gekürzt, sonst hätte er nicht ins Segel gepasst - brachte Abhilfe.

Nichts ist in Stein gemeißelt, auch die Empfehlungen der Hersteller nicht. Wobei man sich da mitunter schon wundern muss.

8.7 mit 490 und 520

6.2 mit 400 und 430

Das klingt schlüssig und entspricht meiner Erfahrung.

Ich schrieb ja von eher hardtop oder CC basierten Prinzipien, sprich hier der Weg auf einen "weicheren" Mast. Entweder durch die Biegekurve, um das Topp zu entlasten oder eben indem man auf einen kürzeren Mast geht.

Dass der Weg seine Grenzen findet, ist bei Pryde als seinerzeit einzigem Flextop-Anbieter klar. Noch mehr macht keinen Sinn, irgendwann ist der Bogen dann überspannt.

Vielleicht sind das auch skalierte Größen, bei denen das nicht mehr so funktioniert hat. Nicht jede Marke entwickelt und testet immer jede Größe einzeln durch und das sind dann möglicherweise die Resultate. Häufig aber auch in den Randgrößen zu finden.

Ein Beispiel ist hier das Gator 3,7qm (2018/2019) gewesen. Empfohlen für 370cm, funktionierte aber nur mit 340 (nicht mal als alternative Größe vorgeschlagen).

Ob es inzwischen anders ist, weiss ich nicht. Die Größe war immer nur auf Vor-Bestellung zu bekommen.

Dieser Text wurde nach alter, neuer und eigener Rechtschreibung geschrieben und ist daher fehlerfrei!
    Tipp Weltmeister F1 2011 & 2013, Tipp Team-Weltmeister F1 2009, 2010, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021!

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Erik Loots

Wenn du bei empfohlenem 460er eine 490er base benutzt, verschiebst du dann nicht den Segelbauch / Flex ehr nach oben? Ebenso, wenn ein kürzeres als das angegebene Top verwendet wird?

Dann beginnt doch der flexende Teil des Mastes ca. 15 cm weiter oben :confused:

I see (visually) this mast sail combo does open up the top of the sail. Plus more profile (due to stiffer mast) = more lift from bottom/middle sailsection. Less lift from the top. This makes the sail push the nose of the board less downward, which I needed like to get the board trim automatically most of the time for me. Often the standard mast is good, small adjustment it gets more peak performance for specific persoon and place. It took me quite some time (more than 1 season) to understand and learn best way to trim Loft Switchblade for me. It is about recognizing what you need and the get a trimming (or Fin) strategy to get most out of it, in gusty choppy conditions this can be difficult to figure out.

The last comment is correct, the same top is in this sail (at the same position). The same extender is used. Only mast bottom between extender and top is stiffer. This makes the bottom/middle of the sail more profile + closed (or the top opens up, compared to the rest). If you increase downhaul on a sail with a too stiff base (490 instead of 460) you will see the sail deform loose leech deform more dramatic (top falls always much more compared to rest with more downhaul). The way the sail reacts to downhaul changes, I use a different (less) downhaul setting to get the best performance.