schauinslandreisen Windsurf World Cup Sylt 2023

• 3aa5192cc13eb40aae50b02cfe2b2f27.jpeg

Men’s Freestyle world title on the line, whilst Men’s & Women’s Wave plus Men’s Slalom fleets also in action as one of the biggest events in windsurfing returns

It’s that time of year again as the windsurfing world prepares for one of the biggest events of the season - the schauinslandreisen Windsurf World Cup Sylt, presented by got2b, which will see 4 fleets in action, while one world title will be decided over the next 10 days - with the event starting tomorrow - 22nd September and running until 1st October. Get ready for more world class from some of the finest Freestyle, Wave and Slalom sailors on the planet.

ba1c3e4b4f.jpg

Racing action from last year

Some say that variety is the spice of life and in this sense, Sylt never disappoints as you never quite know what to expect — thanks to the huge variety of conditions that this wonderful island can produce. In strong onshore winds, a colossal shore break develops — ready to crush the hopes of any unsuspecting competitors — along with powerful waves of up to three or four meters in size, which provide amazing wave sailing conditions, whilst producing a real challenge for the slalom and freestyle fleets. On the other hand, Sylt can also produce great racing and freestyle conditions, when offshore winds grace the island with their presence, although it can then be bitterly cold. One thing is for sure, to win here you need to be the complete all-rounder who is willing to have their mettle tested to breaking point.

Wave

Women’s

Sarah-Quita Offringa (Starboard / NeilPryde / Maui Ultra Fins) enters the penultimate wave event of the year with the world title race lead after finishing second in both Fiji and Pozo earlier in the season. The Aruban boasts an excellent record in Sylt having won the last two editions and she’ll have a hat-trick firmly set in her sights as she looks to take a giant step towards securing a third-wave world title - 22nd overall - a little later in the year in Maui, Hawaii. Offringa currently holds a 2,350 point lead over her closest challenger - Maria Andrés (Duotone/ Duotone Sails), who will be absent from proceedings here with the Spaniard excelling more in down-the-line conditions.

4cabbfa138.jpg

Sarah-Quita Offringa

It’s likely Offringa’s main opposition will come in the form of Lina Erpenstein (Severne / Severne Sails), who clinched the final place on the podium in Pozo after producing a rousing comeback, which saw the German win 4 consecutive heats, while Justyna Sniady (North Sails / Maui Ultra Fins) will be looking to bounce back from a 5th place finish in Gran Canaria, and may well do just that, as she has finished second and third here in 2019 and 2022, whilst Steffi Wahl (Sailloft Hamburg) always remains a threat with her dynamic wave riding.

9e8223fd8d.jpg

Lina Erpenstein

Elsewhere the youthful talents of; Sol Degrieck (Severne / Severne Sails), who at the age of just 13 years old earned her first podium at the recent Pacasmayo Classic in Peru, Maria Behrens (Fanatic / Duotone / Maui Ultra Fins) and Line Bang Wittrup (Goya Windsurfing), who are both 21, will all be vying to make their mark on the event.

4013a0c685.jpg

Sol Degrieck

Men’s

Freestyle

With just the two Men’s Freestyle events this season, anything could still happen, but as things stand Yentel Caers (JP / NeilPryde) comes into Sylt in pole position. The Belgian earned his first event victory on the World Tour in Fuerteventura after defeating fellow world title contender - Adrien Bosson (Duotone / Duotone Sails / Maui Ultra Fins) - in a Super Final - meaning Bosson is ranked No.2. Both sailors currently have one world title apiece, with Caers winning his first world title in 2019, whilst Bosson is the reigning world champion and both men will be hoping to stake their claim for a second world crown come the end of the next 10 days. Caers and Bosson landed some of the biggest moves of the contest, but perhaps even more importantly it was their level of consistency that was extremely impressive, and with Sylt often producing some of the hardest freestyle conditions in the world, with lumpy water and strong rips playing havoc, consistency could once again prove key.

a502ab46f7.jpg

Yentel Caers

However, as already stated, with just the two events there really is no room for error as there is no protection of a discard, so whether it is through sailor error or equipment failure, anything really could still happen.

Antony Ruenes (Tabou / GA Sails) earned his first podium since 2014 at the recent Fuerteventura PWA Grand Slam and another solid performance here would give him every chance of snatching a maiden world title, or at the very least being on the prestigious overall podium.

1eb81e56ce.jpg

Antony Ruenes

2021 Freestyle World Champion - Amado Vrieswijk (Future Fly / Severne Sails) - also features in the lineup here. The Bonairean is now a dedicated racer, but despite not really concentrating on Freestyle anymore he remains a serious threat, as illustrated by his fourth place finish in Fuerteventura. Could there be a second Freestyle world title on the horizon? You certainly wouldn’t rule it out, but he’ll be hoping for properly windy conditions.

8feedf321a.jpg

Amado Vrieswijk

Elsewhere, last year’s vice-world champion - Jacopo Testa (AV Boards / Point-7 / AL360) - produced a storming comeback in Fuerte, which saw the Italian come from the very first round of the double, to eventually claim fifth. If he’s on form Testa is more than capable of challenging for the event victory.

08949a9ca1.jpg

Jacopo Testa

The other usual suspects to look out for include the likes of; Lennart Neubauer (Starboard / Severne Sails / Maui Ultra Fins), who also made a brilliant comeback in Fuerte, Youp Schmit (Tabou / GA Sails), Steven Van Broeckhoven (Starboard / GUNSAILS), Antoine Albert (Goya Windsurfing), Niclas Nebelung (Duotone / Duotone Sails / Maui Ultra Fins), who was unlucky against Ruenes in Fuerte, Dieter van der Eyken (Severne / Severne Sails / Black Project Fins), who often does well in Sylt’s challenging conditions, Takuma Sugi (Tabou / GA Sails / Black Project Fins) and Balz Müller (Severne / Severne Sails), who was arguably one of the most entertaining sailors in Fuerte, while he could be one of the few sailors who elects to Foil Freestyle depending on the conditions.

4302604d68.jpg

Dieter van der Eyken

Wave

Ricardo Campello (Naish / Naish Sails) continues to lead the Men’s Wave World title race, but his advantage at the top has been narrowed to 1,985 points by, good friend and rival, Marcilio Browne (Goya Windsurfing), who comes into Sylt having stood on top of the podium in Gran Canaria for the first time in his career in July earlier this year, while Campello was gutted to lose a place in the double - 4th.

5852a5a796.jpg

Marcilio Browne

Both men possess all the ammunition to win here in Germany and you can expect to them both gunning for the top as the title race continues to heat up. Campello has been training in onshore conditions in Venezuela, so whilst the climate may vary significantly, he’s clearly been putting in the hours to make sure he’s as ready as possible for Sylt as he aims to earn his first Wave world title, while Browne has been training in his homeland of Brazil in Fortaleza - also preparing as best he can for Sylt's conditions.

f0b30a310e.jpg

Ricardo Campello

However, the current ranked top two aren’t simply going to have things all their own. Marc Paré will be an obvious threat with the Spaniard pushing last year’s event champion - Philip Köster (Severne / Severne Sails / Black Project Fins) - all the way in the final and you can expect to see the 25-year-old pushing for victory here again to keep himself in the contention for the world title. Köster will unfortunately be missing from the action after having to undergo surgery for a Lisfranc fracture. Everyone from the PWA wishes Philip a speedy and successful recovery.

193f4b319e.jpg

Marc Paré

It is also worth noting that the rankings could change quite drastically here - results depending - as this is the third 5* event of the year and they hold more weight than their 4* counterparts.

Antoine Martin (Starboard / North Sails) enters Sylt ranked 4th in the overalls and was able to win the event in Pacasmayo, Peru, albeit in very different conditions to what he will likely face here over the coming 10 days. Martin is an excellent all-round wave sailor and will be looking to record another solid result here to keep himself in contention for the world title decider in Maui.

190c5b7995.jpg

Antoine Martin

Marino Gil (Goya Windsurfing) currently finds himself in 15th overall due to only having two counting results so far this season, but confidence will be sky high for the 21-year-old after recording a career best second place in Pozo Izquierdo in July. Gil could be a major contender again, while the young Spaniard could also fly up the rankings upon completion of the event.

58df886d70.jpgMarino Gil

Elsewhere, you can expect to see the likes of Victor Fernandez (Duotone / Duotone) - 4th here in 2022 - Thomas Traversa (Tabou / GA Sails) - event champion here in 2019 - and Germany’s very own - Leon Jamaer (Flikka / GUNSAILS) pushing for top results here.

6ffd42372e.jpg

Leon Jamaer

Other sailors likely to be in contention include; Julian Salmonn (Bruch Boards / GUNSAILS), Jules Denel (JP / NeilPryde), Takuma Sugi (Tabou / GA Sails / Black Project Fins), Robby Swift (JP / NeilPryde), Morgan Noireaux (JP / NeilPryde), Liam Dunkerbeck (Starboard / Severne Sails / Black Project Fins) and Alessio Stillrich (Simmer / Simmer Sails), while Antony Ruenes could be a big danger here again having claimed several massive scalps in 2018.

4e97649c38.jpg

Julian Salmonn

Slalom

So far this season there have been three racing events, each of which has produced a different winner; Maciek Rutkowski (FMX Racing / Challenger Sails) in Italy, Enrico Marotti (JP / NeilPryde) in Gran Canaria and Nicolas Goyard (Phantom / Phantom Sails / Phantom Foils) in Fuerteventura. Do you think we will see one of these sailors claim the top prize again? Or will the beautiful unpredictability of Men’s Slalom continue? Let us know your thoughts in the comments via Instagram or Facebook.

Reigning world champion and current World Tour leader, Maciek Rutkowski will certainly be hoping that he can secure a second victory of the season as he looks to remain in control of the title race. The Pole saw his overall lead at the top of the rankings reduced to just 100 points by Pierre Mortefon (Duotone / Duotone Sails / Phantom Foils) in Fuerteventura, so there is no margin for error between these two heavyweights. Mortefon himself has been leaving it late to pounce so far this season, but with his racing astuteness he is usually there or thereabouts come the end of the event.

4b29983c3d.jpg

Pierre Mortefon

Rutkowski on leading the rankings: "I dont really care I’m leading the rankings there is no trophy for leading in September. I really want to perform well in my first heat in Sylt, that's all I'm focused on right now. It's such a tricky place, never know what you're gonna get, so just gotta read and react. One thing's for sure: whatever happens, it's gonna be a dogfight! Hopefully, I wake that inner wolf up at the right time!"

e2f78e7e5c.jpg

Maciek Rutkowski

Matteo Iachino (Starboard / Severne Sails) is currently 400 points off the top of the rankings, but the Italian earned his first podium of the season in Fuerteventura, and will be looking to build upon that momentum as the former world champion looks to close the gap on the top two to keep himself in the world title race conversation heading into Japan in November.

b8a8ec1fc7.jpg

Matteo Iachino

Meanwhile, Enrico Marotti (JP / NeilPryde) - currently 4th - experienced an up and down summer. The Croat claimed a quite brilliant victory in Gran Canaria before enduring a nightmare event in Fuerte with a plethora of savage crashes, but still managed to salvage a top ten finish - 9th - which sees him currently ranked 4th overall. Don’t be surprised to see the 32-year-old challenging for top honours again.

281a9ac47d.jpg

Enrico Marotti

Rutkowski will be looking to avoid a repeat of last year where he saw the event victory snatched away from him in the very last elimination of the event by Amado Vrieswijk (Future Fly / Severne Sails), who enters the event ranked 5th overall. The Bonairean has improved in each event thus far with a 12th, 7th and a 4th and will be aiming to not only secure his first podium of the season, but also to try and defend his event title.

24a087e5f8.jpg

Amado Vrieswijk

Nicolas Goyard (Phantom / Phantom Sails / Phantom Foils) made a winning return in his first appearance of the season in Fuerteventura, but in Fuerte he specifically registered small equipment to combat Fuerte’s typically strong winds, so with most of the racing likely to be completed in relatively light winds in Sylt, it will be interesting to see if he has the registered equipment to be competitive in the lower thresholds.

787d1d5f0f.jpg

Nicolas Goyard

Like Goyard, several sailors who have been concentrating on the IQFoil for much of the year will also make their first appearances of the season with the likes of Germany’s very own Sebastian Kördel (Starboard / Severne Sails) and Brazil’s - Mateus Isaac (Severne / Severne Sails) - returning to the fray.

4847c14017.jpg

Sebastian Kördel

Johan Søe (FMX Racing / Point-7) comes into Germany on the back of his best result to date on the World Tour - second in Fuerte - and after missing the event in Gran Canaria, due to exams, the young Dane is one of the sailors who stands to gain the most here as he currently only has two counting results. Søe is currently ranked 25th in the overalls, but with another solid result here he could easily throw his name into the world title race conversation. Expect to see another big performance from the aptly named ‘Beast’.

a8064d7508.jpg

Johan Søe

Other notable names to look out for include; German duo Nicolas Prien (JP / NeilPryde), Michele Becker (Patrik / Patrik Sails / Patrik Foils) - currently 6th and 7th in the overalls respectively - Bruno Martini (JP / NeilPryde), Alexandre Cousin (Patrik / Patrik Sails / Patrik Foils) and Jordy Vonk (Duotone / Duotone), who complete the current overall top 10.

d0d5332cde.jpg

Alexandre Cousin

Elsewhere, Ingmar Daldorf (Tabou / GA Sails), Benoit Merceur (Starboard / Severne Sails), Scotty Stallman (Tabou / GA Sails), Cedric Bordes (Severne / Severne Sails) and Ennio dal Pont (Duotone / Duotone Sails) will be looking to sustain their place in the top 16, whilst William Huppert (Phantom / Phantom Sails / Phantom Foils) and Daniele Benedetti (FMX Racing / Challenger Sails) should also be in the mix.

f110e19a18.jpg

Ingmar Daldorf

The forecast looks like the event will see a relatively windy start with 10-20 knots winds currently predicted for the majority of the weekend. Make sure you stay tuned to www.pwaworldtour.comover the next 10 days - here you’ll be able to watch the contest unravel as it happens via the PWA live stream - with Ben Proffitt on hand to guide you through the best of the action.

5768135c1fae436216bc522e2dcd483a.png

Forecast for the opening few day

You can stay up to date with all the latest developments from Sylt — including live stream, elimination ladders, entry list, images and live ticker simply by clicking HERE and scrolling to the bottom of the page.

Also if you don’t already, follow us on our Social Media Channels:

- Facebook: @PWAWorldTourWindsurfing

- Instagram: @pwaworldtour

- Twitter: @pwaworldtour

- YouTube: @pwaworldtour

Dieser Text wurde nach alter, neuer und eigener Rechtschreibung geschrieben und ist daher fehlerfrei!
    Tipp Weltmeister F1 2011 & 2013, Tipp Team-Weltmeister F1 2009, 2010, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021!

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Gestern war bereits die Registrierung:

All set for action after registration day plus a chat with Ricardo Campello, who currently leads the Men’s Wave World Tour

As is the norm in Sylt, the opening day of the 2023 schauinslandreisen Windsurf World Cup Sylt belonged to registration, followed by the sailors preparing their equipment for the next 9 days of competition. Over the course of the day Sylt showed off a glimpse of each season with a mixture of sunshine, showers and rainbows. The official opening ceremony was held at 4pm.

Earlier in the day we briefly caught up with Ricardo Campello (Naish / Naish Sails), who currently leads the Men’s Wave World Tour and is aiming to try and earn his first wave world title come the end of the year:

Hey Ricardo, so before this event, you've been training in Venezuela, right? You've been trying to spend some time in onshore conditions to get more comfortable with the likely Sylt conditions?

SY23_ls_Ricardo_Campello_0067.jpg

Ricardo Campello

Ricardo: “Yes, you know one of my lowest points during the competitions is when I’ve been competing is the onshore conditions, which are the conditions that I don't really enjoy competing or sailing in. Every year I really want to win, but this year, I have a really good chance, so I was looking for a place to train. I was going back to Maui after the Canaries, but you know, in Maui, it's kind of hard to train super, super onshore conditions, because the wind can die in a matter of seconds. So I looked at the forecast, and in Venezuela there is a place called Adicora, which is normally really windy and kind of onshore and the forecast was looking good, even though now is not normally the good season for wind - usually August is dead there. But I think with the transition from La Niña to El Niño, the wind held on a little longer than normal. In the end, I spent almost two months over there, I didn’t sail everyday because the wind was coming and going, but it was pretty good overall.

I used my 5.3m and 5.6m a lot with my 95. And it's full onshore. Sometimes you could jump or ride on both tacks, or sometimes one tack or the other, but it was fun. It was super special for me to be able to train in Venezuela because it's something I don't really do often.”

Obviously the climate is super different from Venezuela compared to here, but how do the conditions compared?

Ricardo: “The shorebreak is not like here, the waves are much smaller, but as long as you're training in full onshore conditions, it helps a lot. And honestly I feel a lot more comfortable now having trained in Venezuela.”

How's the situation getting in and out of Venezuela now? Easier than before?

Ricardo: “It’s still quite hard if you're coming through the US, which was my case, if you go via Europe, it's easy. There are direct flights. I normally fly with American Airlines everywhere. And I have to go through America. I had a long long connection because I had to stop in Amsterdam to get some stuff from Brunotti. I had about five flights, unfortunately on one of those flights my bags went missing and are still missing. I have no information about it, so I’m kind of stressing because I have no updates on my windsurfing bags and my clothing bags as well. The only ‘good’ thing is that the forecast is not looking epic for the first days, so let's hope I get the bags before the contest begins.”

Thanks Ricardo. Good luck for the contest and fingers crossed your bags turn up ASAP.

The forecast for Saturday currently predicts westerly winds between 9-22 knots, so hopefully we will see the official competition begin tomorrow. The skippers’ meeting times for each fleet can be seen below:

- Slalom - 9:30am - first possible start 11:30am

- Freestyle - 10:30am

- Wave - 13:00

8eb42680f5596e6eaedc7828f1137c62.png

Forecast for the weekend

You can stay up to date with all the latest developments from Sylt — including live stream, elimination ladders, entry list, images and live ticker simply by clicking HERE and scrolling to the bottom of the page.

Dieser Text wurde nach alter, neuer und eigener Rechtschreibung geschrieben und ist daher fehlerfrei!
    Tipp Weltmeister F1 2011 & 2013, Tipp Team-Weltmeister F1 2009, 2010, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021!

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Totti-Amun

Hat den Titel des Themas von „schauinslandreisen Windsurf World Cup Sylt 2023 - Event Preview“ zu „schauinslandreisen Windsurf World Cup Sylt 2023“ geändert.
  • Ja, Traumstart in den Event.

:46:

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Das war Tag 2:

A topsy turvy day sees 3 different winners from 3 races as Johan Søe takes the early event lead

Racing got underway on day two of 2023 schauinslandreisen Windsurf World Cup Sylt and the current unpredictable nature of Slalom continued with three separate winners from the three races completed today. After back-to-back events in the Canaries, today represented the polar opposite with winds of 5-18 knots and treacherous waters providing a very different test from Gran Canaria and Fuerteventura, but the racing proved just as exciting with a combination of close quarters racing and some massive crashes to keep the crowds thoroughly entertained.

SY23_sl_Race_action_0095.jpg

The first day of racing

Men’s

Slalom

Johan Søe (FMX Racing / Point-7) heads up the event rankings at the close of the opening day of racing after producing an extremely solid and consistent set of results. The young Dane qualified for all three winners’ finals where he was able to record a 3rd, 4th and a 5th, which sees him hold a two point advantage at the top of the rankings over Mateus Isaac (Severne / Severne Sails), who enjoyed a brilliant return to the World Tour.

SY23_ls_Johan_Soe_0085.jpg

Johan Søe

The Brazilian has been focusing on his Olympic campaign for the majority of the year, but slotted seamlessly back into the slalom scene. The 29-year-old missed out on the opening winners’ final, but still finished in 10th place, before going from strength-to-strength by securing back-to-back second places to cap an excellent return, and more importantly a solid start to the event.

SY23_sl_Isaac_heads_in_0024.jpg

Mateus Isaac

Matteo Iachino (Starboard / Severne Sails) made a flying start to the event as the Italian finished second in the opener, before going one better in the next after doing brilliantly to hold off Nicolas Goyard (Phantom / Phantom Sails / Phantom Foils), who eventually crashed, when under severe pressure. Iachino looked in fine form - consistently pinging the start and looking fast in a straight line - so it was a real surprise to see him fall at the first mark in the third semifinal when leading, whilst the same fate struck when in pole position of the b-final. It later turns out that Iachino had broken the front wing of his foil, so he didn’t have any stability when gybing. The 33-year-old, whose birthday it was yesterday, will be frustrated with the equipment failure / breakage, but at least has the opportunity to discard the 12th place from Elimination 3 after the completion of the next race, and he should take great confidence from today after looking so competitive and on it.

SY23_sl_Matteo_bullet_0097.jpg

Matteo Iachino celebrates

Besides Søe, Maciek Rutkowski (FMX Racing / Challenger Sails) was the only other sailor to qualify for all three winners’ finals. The current World Tour leader finished eighth in the opening two races after a dropped gybe and a premature start, but everything clicked into place in the last race of the day as the Pole signed out in style by securing his first bullet of the event, which is good enough to see Rutkowski climb into 4th having been ranked eighth after Elimination 2, and is just 4.7 points off of the top.

SY23_sl_Maciek_gybes_0036.jpg

Maciek Rutkowski gybes

People were wondering if Nicolas Goyard would struggle in Sylt’s lighter airs having registered smaller equipment for Fuerteventura and that was certainly evident in the first race where the wind was typically 5-10 knots. Goyard still looked absolutely rapid in a straight line, but struggled to remain on the foil through the lulls - particularly when exiting the gybes - which resulted in the Frenchman going from first to dropping out of the qualifying positions after the third gybe of the opening semifinal. Fortunately for Goyard, the wind picked up in the next two races, but he was unable to land a telling blow. In Elimination 2, Goyard tried to dive down the inside of Iachino at the third buoy only to stall on a piece of chop and go over the handlebars, whilst in the third elimination he lost control when trying to negotiate an evil piece of swell / chop when leading again. So, it was a day of close calls for Goyard, but there is still plenty of time for him to mount a come back. Goyard finishes the opening day ranked 5th.

SY23_sl_Nico_Goyard_0028.jpg

Nicolas Goyard

Bruno Martini (JP / NeilPryde) is currently ranked sixth after a solid performance, which saw the Italian improve in each race - 11th, 7th and a 4th in the last race of the day.

Michele Becker (Patrik / Patrik Sails / Patrik Foils) made a dream start to the event as the German earned his maiden bullet on the World Tour - much to his own delight and to the home crowd as well as they celebrated his victory. However, the wheels then fell off slightly as the 25-year-old missed out on a place in the winners’ final in the next two eliminations.

SY23_ls_Becker_emotional_0067.jpg

An emotional Michele Becker

Amado Vrieswijk (Future Fly / Severne Sails) started Elimination 3 ranked in second place, but he then suffered a quarterfinal exit to fall 6 places. Like Iachino, Vrieswijk will have the opportunity to discard that 22.5 point result after the completion of the next race.

SY23_ls_Cramp_0151.jpg

Amado Vrieswijk

The top 10 is currently completed by Pierre Mortefon (Duotone / Duotone Sails / Phantom Foils) - 9th. The Frenchman came into Sylt ranked in second place, but only managed to qualify for one out of three winners’ finals and Daniele Benedetti (FMX Racing / Challenger Sails), who mounted a strong recovery after been taken down in the quarterfinals of the opener, by then finishing 4th and 5th respectively.

SY23_sl_Pierre_Mortefon_0025.jpg

Pierre Mortefon

The forecast for Sunday looks windier than today with the current forecast predicting winds in the region of 17-24 knots from the south-southwest during the afternoon. In light of the stronger forecast the priority is likely to be given to the Freestyle fleet, but if the wind doesn’t arrive then the racers will probably be in action again. The Freestyle and Slalom fleets will meet again at 10am (GMT+2) tomorrow morning with the action commencing from 10:30am for the Freestyle and 11:30am onwards for the Slalom. Meanwhile, the Wave fleet will have a meeting at 11am.

33c3615af8d90bb2b2d3632f7abbf988.png

Forecast for the next couple of day

Current Ranking 2023 schauinslandreisen Windsurf World Cup Sylt - Men’s Slalom

1st Johan Søe (DEN | FMX Racing / Point-7)

2nd Mateus Isaac (BRA | Severne / Severne Sails)

3rd Matteo Iachino (ITA | Starboard / Severne Sails)

4th Maciek Rutkowski (POL | FMX Racing / Challenger Sails)

5th Nicolas Goyard (FRA | Phantom / Phantom Sails / Phantom Foils)

6th Bruno Martini (ITA | JP / NeilPryde)

7th Michele Becker (GER | Patrik / Patrik Sails / Patrik Foils)

8th Amado Vrieswijk (NB | Future Fly / Severne Sails)

9th Pierre Mortefon (FRA | Duotone / Duotone Sails / Phantom Foils)

10th Daniele Benedetti (ITA | FMX Racing / Challenger Sails)

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Das war der gestrige Tag 3:

A historic day for Lennart Neubauer as 19-year-old leads the event, while also playing a pivotal role in potentially deciding world title race as Adrien Bosson moves into pole position

The Men’s Freestyle fleet took centre stage for the first time at the 2023 schauinslandreisen Windsurf World Cup Sylt, powered by got2b, and the contortionists of the windsurfing world didn’t disappoint, whilst there was plenty of drama along the way as the title race took some dramatic turns. However, the main news of today involves Lennart Neubauer (Starboard / Severne Sails / Maui Ultra Fins), who not only qualified for his first winners’ final, but also went on to win the Single Elimination to lead the event after producing an explosive display.

SY23_ls_Lennart_takes_the_victory_0141.jpg

Current Men's Top 4 - Steven Van Broeckhoven, Lennart Neubauer, Adrien Bosson & Jacopo Testa (Left to right)

Men’s

Freestyle

Today will live long in the memory of Lennart Neubauer (Starboard / Severne Sails / Maui Ultra Fins) after the young Greek enjoyed his best day to date on the World Tour, which saw him claim victory in the Single Elimination with a dynamic and powerful display of sailing despite the tricky conditions. The 19-year-old posted the highest scoring heat of the contest - 38.3 points - in the winners’ final against Steven Van Broeckhoven (Starboard / GUNSAILS) to deservedly lead the event at the close of play, while if things were to finish as they are now, Neubauer would finish 2023 as the vice-world champion.

SY23_fs_Final_action_from_Lennart_0100.jpg

Lennart Neubauer

Lennart Neubauer on winning the Single Elimination: “It’s the best feeling I’ve ever had on the water. Training or non-training. The conditions were really difficult, but moves kept happening and I felt like I could do anything. It’s an unreal feeling. This has probably been my dream for the last 10 years, I’m just really, really thankful. It’s unbelievable to win the single at the biggest windsurfing event on the planet!”

SY23_ls_Lennart_takes_the_victory_0138.jpg

Single elimination victory moment for Lennart Neubauer

Meanwhile, Neubauer may have also played a pivotal role in deciding this year’s Freestyle world title after winning a close heat against Yentel Caers (JP / NeilPryde), who led the overall rankings coming into Sylt, in the round of 16, which leaves the Belgian with a mountain to climb if he is to add to his sole world title from 2019. Caers made a successful start to his comeback in the double elimination by defeating Marco Vinante (Starboard / Point-7 / AL360), but would need to fight back to at least fourth place to deny Adrien Bosson (Duotone / Duotone Sails / Maui Ultra Fins) - assuming the Frenchman remains in third place.

SY23_fs_Yentel_Caers_0065.jpg

Yentel Caers begins his comeback

Steven Van Broeckhoven sailed brilliantly to book his place in the final and will be delighted with his top two finish in the single elimination. The Belgian didn’t enjoy his best final by his own admission against Neubauer, but he still enjoyed a fantastic day on the water.

SY23_fs_Steven_action_0053.jpg

Steven Van Broeckhoven

Adrien Bosson lost out to Van Broeckhoven in the semifinals, but then came out on top of another incredibly close heat against Jacopo Testa (AV Boards / Point-7 / AL360) to secure his place in the top 3, which puts the reigning world champion firmly in the driving seat to be able to successfully defend his world title.

SY23_fs_Adrien_Bosson_0042.jpg

Adrien Bosson moves into pole position for world title race

World title race connotations given that the worst position Adrien Bosson can now finish is 4th (9700 points), which means the Frenchman can only be denied;

- If Jacopo Testa comes back and wins the double elimination and Caers finishes outside the top 5. This would mean the Italian and Bosson would finish tied on 19,600 points, but Testa would win the world title on countback.

- If Bosson was to remain in third place, then Caers would have to fight back into at least fourth place. This would see Caers and Bosson finish tied on 19,700 points, but Caers would win the world title on countback.

- In the event that Bosson was to slip one place to fourth then a fifth place finish could still prove good enough for Caers to win the world title, but only if Testa failed to then win the event. Caers and Bosson would then be tied on 19,600 points, but Caers would win on countback.

- In the event that Testa was to win the double elimination, Bosson finish fourth and Caers finish fifth then there would need to be a sail off - if conditions allowed - to decide the world title as Caers and Testa would then have identical results.

SY23_fs_Jacapo_0030.jpg

Jacopo Testa

Away from the world title race the other sailor of the day was Takumi Moriya (Severne / Severne Sails) after the 17-year-old earned his best result to date with an excellent joint fifth place in the single elimination after claiming the scalp of fellow countryman - Takuma Sugi (Tabou / GA Sails / Black Project Fins) - in the opening round before also defeating Antony Ruenes (Tabou / GA Sails). Also finishing in joint fifth for the single are; Sam Esteve (JP / NeilPryde), Antoine Albert (Goya Windsurfing) and Youp Schmit (Tabou / GA Sails).

SY23_fs_Takumi_Moriya_0017.jpg

Takumi Moriya

The Freestyle and Wave fleets will meet bight and early tomorrow morning with the current forecast predicting 18-28 knot southerly winds for the majority of the day. Both fleets will have a skippers’ meeting at 7am (GMT+2) - with the action commencing from 7:30am onwards. If it’s flat we will continue with the Freestyle, however, if there is enough of a bump the Wave fleets will take centre stage for the first time this event. Meanwhile, an announcement regarding the Slalom fleets skippers’ meeting will be made at 9am.

de153152835643989e6ed498e6f73956.png

Forecast for the Monday & Tuesday

Current Ranking 2023 schauinslandreisen Windsurf World Cup Sylt - Men’s Freestyle

1st Lennart Neubauer (GRE | Starboard / Severne Sails / Maui Ultra Fins)

2nd Steven Van Broeckhoven (BEL | Starboard / GUNSAILS)

3rd Adrien Bosson (FRA | Duotone / Duotone Sails / Maui Ultra Fins)

4th Jacopo Testa (ITA | AV Boards / Point-7 / AL360)

5th Takumi Moriya (JPN | Severne / Severne Sails)

5th Sam Esteve (FRA | JP / NeilPryde)

5th Antoine Albert (NC | Goya Windsurfing)

5th Youp Schmit (NB | Tabou / GA Sails)

1st Johan Søe (DEN | FMX Racing / Point-7)

2nd Mateus Isaac (BRA | Severne / Severne Sails)

3rd Matteo Iachino (ITA | Starboard / Severne Sails)

4th Maciek Rutkowski (POL | FMX Racing / Challenger Sails)

6th Bruno Martini (ITA | JP / NeilPryde)

7th Michele Becker (GER | Patrik / Patrik Sails / Patrik Foils)

8th Amado Vrieswijk (NB | Future Fly / Severne Sails)

9th Pierre Mortefon (FRA | Duotone / Duotone Sails / Phantom Foils)

10th Daniele Benedetti (ITA | FMX Racing / Challenger Sails)

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Ich habe es mir gestern im Live-Stream angeschaut...Was für eine imposante Leistung von Niclas: Jeder Move hat gesessen! Das könnte m.E. der beste Freestyle-Heat gewesen sein, der jemals vor Sylt gefahren wurde. Und zum Thema Live-Stream kann man nur sagen "WOW": Was für tolle Aufnahmen mit der Drohne. Auch im Slalom und von Ben packend kommentiert.

• Das war der gestrige Tag 4:

Yentel Caers mounts colossal comeback to claim second world title, while Lennart Neubauer earns maiden event victory on World Tour

Day four of the schauinslandreisen Windsurf World Cup Sylt (third day of competition) was billed as potentially one of the biggest days of action of this year’s event and that’s exactly how things played out as the Men’s Freestyle Double Elimination was completed in some of the best freestyle conditions witnessed in Sylt for a long time. Meanwhile, after the completion of the epic freestyle there was still time to squeeze in one elimination of racing, which brought a change to the top of the event rankings.

SY23_fs_Yentel_Caers_0477.jpg

Yentel Caers fights back

Men’s

Freestyle

Having been eliminated by the eventual single elimination winner - Lennart Neubauer (Starboard / Severne Sails / Maui Ultra Fins) - in the round of 16 yesterday, Yentel Caers (JP / NeilPryde) left himself a mountain to climb in order to claim his second world title. However, Caers didn’t simply climb the mountain, he absolutely conquered it as he produced a superb comeback, which saw him win 8 successive heats in the double to deservedly claim his second world crown - adding to his previous success from 2019.

SY23_fs_Yentel_Caers_0475.jpg

Yentel Caers in the zone

No-one can argue with Caers’ achievement as he really was a cut above the rest of the competition today. Not only was the Belgian the sole sailor to break the 40 points barrier, the 28-year-old achieved this feat in 6 out of his 7 winning heats today as he produced not only an extremely explosive performance, but also one of unbelievable consistency to prove that he is currently the best freestyler in the world as he finishes 2023 with a first and second place, and more importantly a second world crown.

SY23_ls_Yentel_0482.jpg

Yentel Caers champion of the world for a second time

Caers was only denied the event victory by Neubauer, who sailed a brilliant final to successfully claim his first event victory on the World Tour as the 19-year-old signs off the 2023 season in the perfect fashion, whilst putting his serious knee injury from 2021 firmly behind him. Neubauer finishes 2023 as the vice-world champion and you wouldn’t bet against him going one place better in the next season or two based on his level of performance here.

SY23_ls_Lennart_wins_Sylt_0499.jpg

Lennart Neubauer celebrates maiden victory on the World Tour

Adrien Bosson (Duotone / Duotone / Maui Ultra Fins) started the day in pole position to defend his world title, but despite going toe-to-toe with Caers in the early stages of Heat 33 the Frenchman would eventually lose out to his world title rival. The 32-year-old still finishes the season ranked third overall, which is made all the more impressive by the fact that he has not been able to solely focus on his freestyle pursuits.

SY23_fs_Adrien_Bosson_0474.jpg

Adrien Bosson

We’ll be back in the event summary to take a full look at the overall Freestyle results.

Slalom

After the completion of the explosive Freestyle, attention soon switched back to the racing, which saw Elimination 4 completed in 8-20 knots of wind, which brought the discard into play and with it a change atop of the rankings.

Johan Søe (FMX Racing / Point-7) started the day as the event leader and remains the only sailor to have qualified for every winners’ final thus far, but the young Dane slides two places to third after Elimination 4. Søe is yet to finish outside the top 5, but it is Mateus Isaac (Severne / Severne Sails), who picks up the event lead after continuing to make a quite brilliant return to the slalom scene.

The Brazilian missed out on the opening winners’ final, but has since recorded results of two second places followed by a third today, which sees him open up a 2.7 point advantage over Matteo Iachino (Starboard / Severne Sails) at the top of the event rankings.

Iachino is able to discard a 12th place from Elimination 3, but ‘only’ ended up finishing 7th in the winners’ final today. The Italian looked set to challenge for the top positions after another well-timed start, but dropped back with his gamble of not changing up gear size, not paying off on this occasion.

SY23_sl_Slalom_action_0525.jpg

Golden hour - Mateus Isaac

On the opening day of racing, Nicolas Goyard (Phantom / Phantom Sails / Phantom Foils) had threatened to strike, but ultimately missed out for one reason or another, but today he earned his first bullet of the event, which sees him remain fifth in the current event rankings.

SY23_sl_Goyard_Bullet_0543.jpg

Nicolas Goyard celebrates a bullet

Elsewhere, Bruno Martini (JP / NeilPryde) gains a couple of places and climbs into 4th, while Daniele Benedetti (FMX Racing / Challenger Sails) climbs four spots to 6th after booking his place in another winners’ final. The Italian missed out on the top 8 in the opener, but has since finished 4th, 5th and 6th.

The top 10 is currently completed by Maciek Rutkowski (FMX Racing / Challenger Sails), - 7th - who came into the event leading the World Tour rankings, but if things were to finish as they were now, Matteo Iachino would assume the title race control. Michele Becker (Patrik / Patrik Sails / Patrik Foils), Nico Prien (JP / NeilPryde) and Sebastian Kördel (Starboard / Severne Sails).

The Slalom fleet will meet again at 10am (GMT+2) tomorrow morning for their skippers’ meeting. The forecast looks marginal on paper with 7-12 knot winds from the south-southeast currently predicted, but given how low the threshold to now be able to compete on foils is, there is still every chance of more racing tomorrow. If conditions are suitable, the first possible start is 11:30am.

Overall Rankings 2023 PWA World Tour - Men’s Freestyle

1st Yentel Caers (BEL | JP / NeilPryde)

2nd Lennart Neubauer (GRE | Starboard / Severne Sails / Maui Ultra Fins)

4th Steven Van Broeckhoven (BEL | Starboard / GUNSAILS)

5th Jacopo Testa (ITA | AV Boards / Point-7 / AL360)

6th Amado Vrieswijk (NB | Future Fly / Severne Sails)

7th Antony Ruenes (FRA | Tabou / GA Sails)

8th Antoine Albert (NC | Goya Windsurfing)

9th Youp Schmit (NB | Tabou / GA Sails)

9th Balz Müller (SUI | Severne / Severne Sails)

Result 2023 schauinslandreisen Windsurf World Cup Sylt - Men’s Freestyle

2nd Yentel Caers (BEL | JP / NeilPryde)

3rd Steven Van Broeckhoven (BEL | Starboard / GUNSAILS)

4th Adrien Bosson (FRA | Duotone / Duotone Sails / Maui Ultra Fins)

6th Antoine Albert (NC | Goya Windsurfing)

7th Balz Müller (SUI | Severne / Severne Sails)

7th Takuma Sugi (JPN | Tabou / GA Sails / Black Project Fins)

9th Takumi Moriya (JPN | Tabou / GA Sails)

9th Sam Esteve (FRA | JP / NeilPryde)

9th Amado Vrieswijk (NB | Future Fly / Severne Sails)

*After 4 Eliminations (1 Discard)

1st Mateus Isaac (BRA | Severne / Severne Sails)

2nd Matteo Iachino (ITA | Starboard / Severne Sails)

3rd Johan Søe (DEN | FMX Racing / Point-7)

4th Bruno Martini (ITA | JP / NeilPryde)

6th Daniele Benedetti (ITA | FMX Racing / Challenger Sails)

7th Maciek Rutkowski (POL | FMX Racing / Challenger Sails)

8th Michele Becker (GER | Patrik / Patrik Sails / Patrik Foils)

9th Nico Prien (GER | JP / NeilPryde)

10th Sebastian Kördel (GER | Starboard / Severne Sails)

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Ein ruhiger, heutiger Tag 5:

Interview with the newly crowned Freestyle World Champion Yentel Caers

The forecast for the fifth day of the 2023 schauinslandreisen Windsurf World Cup Sylt, presented by got2b, always looked marginal on paper and unfortunately that’s how the day played out. For short periods of time it looked like the wind may stabilise enough to allow some racing to be completed, but in the end the Slalom fleet spent the day on hold.

SY23_ls_Sunny_Sylt_0721.jpg

A sunny lay day in Sylt

With plenty of down time today we managed to briefly catch up with the newly crowed 2023 Men’s Freestyle PWA World Champion - Yentel Caers (JP / NeilPryde) - for an interview, which you can read below:

SY23_ls_Yentel_Caers_0700.jpg

The 2023 Freestyle PWA World Champion - Yentel Caers

Hey Yentel, congratulations once again on securing your second world title yesterday - how does this one compare to the first?

Yentel: “It’s feels so, so good. This one perhaps feels even better than the first because I also won the event in Fuerte earlier in the year. That has always been an event I have dreamed of winning and I’d come close over the years, but always ended up finishing second or third without ever winning it.

So I was stoked to have won in Fuerte and to be leading the rankings coming into Sylt, but it’s often a tricky one here as you never know what to expect. This year we were so lucky with the conditions. We finally had really good freestyle conditions, which makes everything better.”

You were drawn against Lennart Neubauer in the single and he knocked you out early which left you a long way to climb back - did you ever think your chance at the title this year had gone?

Yentel: “It’s hard to say. The thing is that if you want to win and become world champion you are going to have to be able to win against everyone and anyone. Of course getting Lennart so early on made things more difficult, and I think he proved that that was the hardest draw you could get as he won the event. I have a lot of respect for him and it’s great to see a young guy coming up through the ranks.

Then into the double I knew it was going to be a long way back and it felt like it was out of my hands because we didn’t know what conditions we were going to get. It could’ve just as easily been wave yesterday and now we’d still be on standby, but thankfully, we got lucky with perfect freestyle conditions.

It was a long way back, I sailed 9 heats in the double - 1 heat on Sunday and 8 yesterday - but it’s okay as they are only 8 minute heats.”

How proud are you that you were the only sailor to break the 40 point barrier - not just once, but on multiple occasions…

Yentel: “I don’t know I just really felt good in those conditions yesterday. It really suited me as it wasn’t too much jumping. I really love the proper freestyle moves like the shifties, double power moves coming in, while some other guys prefer the wave jump moves. Yesterday was the perfect conditions for me to be able to show what I can do. I started with a really strong heat against Dieter [Van der Eyken] - 42.1 points - so after that, in my mind it gave me the confidence that I could do it, so I just aimed to sail all my heats the same and it worked out."

As you started to fight your way back through the double and got closer to the top 5 and the title - did you start to feel any pressure?

Yentel: “Of course I was aware that I was getting close to the top 5 and the world title, but I hadn’t checked any of the points, so I really had no idea which position I needed to get back into to become world champion. I knew if I beat [Adrien] Bosson that I would be guaranteed it, but that was really far away at the beginning of the day, so I honestly just tried to take it heat by heat. I wasn’t even checking which sailors I would be up against. I was just focused on my own sailing and luckily it went really well.”

You sailed a lot of heats… did you start to feel fatigued by the end?

Yentel: “I felt fine. I think after I had become world champion the stress /pressure in my body went away and that showed in my sailing by being slightly less explosive than at the start of the day. Plus the wind dropped a little bit and I made a few errors against Lennart, but massive respect to him, he sailed incredibly well.”

How will you be celebrating your second world title?

Yentel: “The celebrations started already yesterday evening. I have all my friends here, so with all the freestylers we went out to party. The freestyle is over, but we still have almost a week here, so I’m going to enjoy the Sylt holiday and just try and enjoy my time.”

Thanks, Yentel. Congratulations once again!

The forecast for tomorrow doesn’t look too promising on paper with less wind than today currently being predicted, so we will just have to wait and see if it is possible to complete any racing. A Slalom announcement will be made tomorrow morning at 7:30am to confirm whether or not we will plan to go ahead with an 8:30am first possible start.

bf49c142cbe1d28fca2c133d585cdf0b.png

Forecast for Wednesday and Thursday

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• daddy_o: die spulen halt die Sachen ab, die sie auch stehen können. Irgendwann gleicht sich das dann optisch.

Hab kurz reingeschaut und da gab es gerade die Diskussion, ob die Wertung nicht etwas geändert werden sollte. Wenn ich es richtig verstanden habe: weniger gewerte Moves, die sie einbringen müssen, dann könnten sie eben spektakulärere Sachen in der kurzen Heat-Zeit probieren.

• Das war der heutige Tag 6:

Another lay day before the wind is scheduled to return

The wind remained light on day six of the 2023 schauinslandreisen Windsurf World Cup Sylt, presented by got2b, meaning that for the second consecutive day the official contest remained on hold.

SY23_ls_Sol_Degrieck_0847.jpg

Another lay day in Sylt

The good news, is that the forecast for the remainder of the event looks windier, and tomorrow should hopefully see the resumption of the Slalom with 12-20 knot winds currently predicted.

0fb61748b6d142c559cd6622cb95b17a.png

The forecast for the next couple of days

The Slalom fleet will meet again at 8:30am (GMT+2) tomorrow morning with the action commencing from 10am onwards. Meanwhile, the Wave fleet will also have a skippers’ meeting at 8:30am - with a first possible start at 9am.

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Das war Tag 7:

Amado Vrieswijk storms into event lead after second discard comes into play

The wind returned on day 7 of the 2023 schauinslandreisen Windsurf World Cup Sylt, presented by got2b, allowing a further three eliminations to be completed in 10-20 knots of wind and choppy / wavy waters, while Sylt’s infamous shorebreak claimed a few victims, but most survived largely unscathed. With 7 eliminations now being sailed the second discard comes into play, which sees Amado Vrieswijk (Future Fly / Severne Sails) move into the event lead for the first time.

SY23_sl_Sylt_slalom_day_7_0055.jpg

Sylt Slalom

Men’s

Slalom

Amado Vrieswijk (Future Fly / Severne Sails) started the day in twelfth place, but the Bonairean heads up the rankings at the close of play after producing his best day of racing so far, which saw him win the last race of the day, while also recording a 3rd and 4th, which allows him to discard two quarterfinals exits. Vrieswijk is the defending event champion and now has a great chance of retaining his event title - there will be no room for error though!

SY23_sl_Amado_leads_0022.jpg

Amado Vrieswijk takes the lead

Matteo Iachino (Starboard / Severne Sails) remains in second place. The Italian finished eighth in the opening race of the day, but finished strongly by record two third places, which keeps him in contention for the event title as he is just two points off the top.

SY23_sl_Sylt_slalom_day_7_0059.jpg

Matteo Iachino

Nicolas Goyard (Phantom / Phantom Sails / Phantom Foils) gains a couple of places from the overnight rankings after earning his second bullet of the week today in Elimination 5, while also finishing second and seventh - which he discards - to move into the top 3 and Is just 2.7 points behind Vrieswijk, so there is all still to play for.

SY23_sl_Nico_Goyard_0011.jpg

Nicolas Goyard

Johan Søe (FMX Racing / Point-7) loses a bit of ground after the young Dane missed out on his first winners’ final of the event in Elimination 7 after being involved in a crash with Bruno Martini (JP / NeilPryde) at the first buoy in the semifinals. Søe qualified for the other two winners’ finals, but could ‘only’ finish 6th and 8th respectively. Søe finishes the day ranked fourth overall.

SY23_sl_Johan_Soe_0070.jpg

Johan Søe

Mateus Isaac (Severne / Severne Sails) started the day as the event leader, but the Brazilian saw his hopes of winning the event badly dashed after enduring a poor day by his standards. Isaac was eliminated in the quarterfinals of Elimination 6, but did well in Eliminations 5 and 7 as he won the b-final on both occasions, which sees him ranked 5th heading into the last few days of the event.

SY23_ls_Mateus_Isaac_0699.jpg

Mateus Isaac

Michele Becker (Patrik / Patrik Sails / Patrik Foils) returned to form today with the German recording two second places and an 11th, which sees him gain two places to 6th. Becker won the opening elimination, but then failed to qualify for the top 8 in the next three races, so he will be pleased with his recovery.

SY23_sl_Becker_gybes_0008.jpg

Michele Becker

Bruno Martini (JP / NeilPryde) falls a few places from the overnight rankings - 4th to 7th. The Italian made a solid start to the day with a fourth place, but then missed out on a place in the next two winners’ finals.

SY23_ls_Bruno_0712.jpg

Bruno Martini

The top 10 is currently completed by Maciek Rutkowski (FMX Racing / Challenger Sails) - 8th - Pierre Mortefon (Duotone / Duotone Sails/ Phantom Foils) - 9th - who won Elimination 6 and Enrico Marotti (JP / NeilPryde) in tenth. It’s also worth noting just how tight the points are from 4th to 9th with just 4.7 points separating them, so there is plenty of chance that those positions will change.

SY23_sl_Maciek_0012.jpg

Maciek Rutkowski

The forecast looks windy for Friday with 17-25 knot south-southwest winds currently predicted, which may give the opportunity to begin the wave contest. The wave fleet will meet at 8am (GMT+2) tomorrow morning for the skippers’ meeting with a first possible start at 8:30am . Meanwhile, the slalom fleet will meet at 9am with the action commencing from 10:30am onwards.

b7a0c06b9171b2cd00ed5370162662fb.png

Forecast for Friday and Saturday

*After 7 Eliminations (2 Discards)

1st Amado Vrieswijk (NB | Future Fly / Severne Sails)

3rd Nicolas Goyard (FRA | Phantom / Phantom Sails / Phantom Foils)

4th Johan Søe (DEN | FMX Racing / Point-7)

5th Mateus Isaac (BRA | Severne / Severne Sails)

6th Michele Becker (GER | Patrik / Patrik Sails / Patrik Foils)

7th Bruno Martini (ITA | JP / NeilPryde)

8th Maciek Rutkowski (POL | FMX Racing / Challenger Sails)

9th Pierre Mortefon (FRA | Fanatic / Duotone / Phantom Foils)

10th Enrico Marotti (CRO | JP / NeilPryde)

STAY IN TOUCH

horizontalBarShort.gif

315a1969d5f78e4645ce892e8447195b.png  Follow us on Twitter

7391e2941060fe2e5e1af3aa73ec742c.png  Become a Facebook Fan

bb32ff1015a2983ac65da6555d38d9d1.png  Follow us on Instagram

cdeb55d7c6dff1835d1151dcf925127d.png  Contact us

f172382c25698683b0b0e45f30b5aa7c.png   Check our videos

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Wird denn wohl heute Nachmittag oder morgen der Wavecontest noch gestartet? Wind sieht ja ganz gut aus....

Waiting for wind, is better than waiting for nothing :)

• siehe ticker:

Unfortunately, it's a flat start to the day, so we're going to have to hope that the wave conditions improve when the tide is on the push. If it remains flat then it's likely we'll see the Slalom continue.

• Das war der heutige Tag 8:

A day of surprises and upsets as Maria Behrens & Marine Hunter book their places in first ever winners’ final

The women’s wave fleet took to the water for the first time at the 2023 schauinslandreisen Windsurf World Cup Sylt, presented by got2b, as the single elimination got underway in cross-shore float and ride conditions. Having the patience to wait for the set waves proved crucial and there were some excellent performances, whilst some different names booked their places in career first finals to cause a turn up for the books as multiple upsets were handed out.

SY23_ls_Marine_Hunter_0119.jpg

Marine Hunter celebrates making the final

Women’s

Wave

Maria Behrens (Duotone / Duotone Sails / Maui Ultra Fins) caused one of the upsets of the day in the first quarterfinal as the 21-year-old claimed an impressive victory over fellow German - Lina Erpenstein (Severne / Severne Sails) - after showing solid wave selection and dynamic rail work, which saw her earn the highest single wave score of the day - 7.12 points.

SY23_wv_Maria_on_fire_0050.jpg

Maria Behrens makes the final

Erpenstein was a little unlucky as she set the second highest heat score of the day - 12 points - but ran into an inform Behrens. Behrens then went on to claim another excellent victory over Justyna Sniady (North Sails / Maui Ultra Fins) to book her place in her first ever winners’ final and she was understandably overcome with emotion upon hearing the news.

SY23_ls_Mariah_Behrens_0016.jpg

All smiles for Maria Behrens

Behrens will face Marine Hunter (Quatro / KA Sail) after the 31-year-old also earned her place in a maiden winners’ final with a series of impressive performances. Hunter first navigated her way past Sol Degrieck (Severne / Severne Sails) before claiming the scalp of the current event and world champion - Sarah-Quita Offringa (Starboard / NeilPryde / Maui Ultra Fins). Their semifinal was incredibly close with just 0.37 of a point separating them, but Hunter would claim the victory after combining a late hit off of a heavy section to earn 6.50 points for one wave and put the tie out of Offringa’s reach.

SY23_wv_Marine_Hunter_0029.jpg

A committed late hit by Marine Hunter

The winners’ final did begin, but unfortunately with the wind and waves dropping at an inopportune time the final had to be cancelled, and despite spending the rest of the day on hold, suitable conditions to finish the women’s single elimination didn’t occur, so hopes will now be pinned for the weekend.

The forecast for Saturday is currently showing moderate to strong onshore winds, so the hope is that with it being windy throughout the night that the wind swell will have kicked up a bit and we’ll be able to not only finish the women’s single elimination, but also begin the men’s. The wave fleets will be given an announcement at 6:45am (GMT+2), and if it isn’t flat, they will then have a skippers’ meeting at 7am with a first possible start at 7:20am. Meanwhile the slalom fleet will be given an announcement at 8am.

b523f3fccfd990065f2326832d9f8e0e.jpeg

The forecast for the final weekend

*After 7 Eliminations (2 Discards)

1st Amado Vrieswijk (NB | Future Fly / Severne Sails)

3rd Nicolas Goyard (FRA | Phantom / Phantom Sails / Phantom Foils)

4th Johan Søe (DEN | FMX Racing / Point-7)

5th Mateus Isaac (BRA | Severne / Severne Sails)

6th Michele Becker (GER | Patrik / Patrik Sails / Patrik Foils)

7th Bruno Martini (ITA | JP / NeilPryde)

8th Maciek Rutkowski (POL | FMX Racing / Challenger Sails)

9th Pierre Mortefon (FRA | Fanatic / Duotone / Phantom Foils)

10th Enrico Marotti (CRO | JP / NeilPryde)

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.