Beiträge von Sailrepair

5 Oceans are the wave sail line of demon sails, both made by Matthew in small numbers. The 5 Oceans wave sails were a similar price to mainstream big brands.

When designing a sail you need to design it to be made in the far east or in Europe. By that I mean if you are making a sail in Europe you will tend to keep things simple to help with construction - think back to sails made in the early 90's. But if making a sail in China construction considerations are much less since you have 5 people working on a small part of the sail using small pieces.

A lot of sailmakers have found they make more money making "architectural sails" the things that shelter you from the sun / rain in pub gardens etc.

I hope my posts translate ok, and apologies for not being able to post in German.

I could do it but I would try to talk you out of it. How do you know there isn't a sail out there that you would prefer? If we all had the same sail every time we would still be sailing dacron triangles.

But to answer you question the sail would have to be taken apart and that takes longer than putting a new one together.

As well as repairing sails I alter sails for people and make custom one off sails. A while back I stopped making custom sails as I prefer just making "concept sails" for myself and put my design thought into helping Bouke with the Witchcraft sails. I only make a sail if I can't find what I want. I like making sails but I'd rather be windsurfing.

I have made a video of my Patrik kit in light winds - I am getting going very early with my 9.0 and once flying it just keeps going.

I have used my PD125 now with sails from 4.7 to 7.0 and it is a very easy board.

Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

I used the 8.0 for the first time this evening. As usual the wind disappeared as soon as I got on the water. The sail is a lot flatter than I am used to. I did get flying but it was one of those days where you fly for 500m until you run out of wind. The sail certainly kept going in the light winds. I thought it was going to be windier so I had put the mast foot forward a bit but that was probably a mistake due to the rig being heavier to what I am used to. The sail rotated easily. Gybing was tricky due to a combination of the light winds (most gybes would have been in about 6 kts of wind) the heavier sail and my mast foot further forward. I lost height quite quickly and had to pump out of the gybe to keep the speed up.

My initial main impression is of the sail standing there cutting efficiently through the air with seemingly very little movement of the sail.

The Maverx masts do add a little bit more power to NP sails. the two work well together in effect it is similar to rigging a NP sail on a NP mast but with 1cm less downhaul. Some heavier sailors prefer it while some lighter sailors may find they loose some top end from the sail but gain some light wind power.

The 8.0 Patrik rigs as I would expect it 183420998_772746836760271_7674856728564006940_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=atAd-T9ltlEAX-usJfT&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.fna&oh=b234c212a823767098312a85d6bf9d03&oe=60BDEA55

Hi

I. only used it on the maverx and I accept it might be better on a NP mast. the normal V8 works well on the maverx mast but not the V8 flight.

I sold the sails and the person who now has the 8.0 finds the rotation sticky and he has a NP mast.

yes, I am using a Maverx mast which is a bit thinner than a patriK mast. I have the patrik 520 for my 9.0 but I have not rigged that yet .

I. am also finding that my mast extension is set 2cm shorter than recommended. I must say I don't like using such a long extension as I worry it stresses the base of the mast. I am using a chinook carbon extension but I have a Patrik "extendor" of 40cm and I am wondering if I would be better using the extender +5cm of extension rather than the looser fitting extension set at 45cm.

I have now got my Patrik foil-ride 125 (my foil comp is on its way). I only had it a few days but had a great time on it. I have used it with a 5.8 custom foil sail in 20 kts, then a 4.7 wave sail in 15 to 28 kts and today with a custom 7.0 foil sail. I like the fact that I can use the board in a relaxed style in high winds or I can push it with a bigger sail and a more race stance. It seems very versatile.

I am very pleased with it.

My foil+ sails have arrived but I have not used them yet, it has been too windy. It took a while to sort out the cam spacers. on the 8.0. I have not taken the 9.0 out of its bag yet.

I have had a few close misses with porpoises recently, I have had to turn sharply to miss them. If I know they are there I slow down for 100m. With a fin the porpoises stay 100m away but with a foil they have come up 3m in front of me which is quite a scare.

There are also a lot of seals here and they tend to pop their head up to watch what I am doing.

Hitting a catfish is very unlucky, they tend to live on the bottom.

With that foil - what you gain from having a high lift wing you also loose because the wing is right in front of the mast so it does not have much leverage to lift the board. For windfoiling you would be better off with a smaller wing but further forward.

For winging you would have to stand very far back with the risk of you back foot going off the back of the board.

With the right foil you should be able to fly earlier than anyone using a wing.

Hi t36

I soon will have a setup like yours. I am waiting for a PD foilcomp V2 91 and the foil ride 125 as well as the foil+ 8.0. So I read your reports with interest.

I am on AFS foils. I currently have JP hydrofoil 120 and 105 and the hydrofoil slalom. The Patrik boards will replace the bigger boards and someone is making me a small custom board for high winds.

At the moment I use a mixture of severne sails and if I can't find one I like I make my own.

Hi, This is my first post on here. I hope it translates ok.

I. had the goya 115. It was easy to use but I sold it in the end preferring my JP hydrofoil 105 and Severne 115. I have been foiling for a long time and I like to pump up onto the foil as early as possible. When pumping on the goya the board rocks from side to side because it doesn't have a flat bottom, this upsets the trim. You are best to let the board accelerate up onto the foil. It does this quite well but requires maybe 1 kt more wind to take off compared to a traditional foil board. once flying it was certainly comfortable and easy. I got the board because I liked the idea of a single back strap for jumping but the board only had the double back straps.

So while the board looks for advanced foilers it is probably best as a first foil board. It is stable at rest and intuitive to use for someone who has not foiled before. I don't like the double track + tuttle foil box in a board. I have had the JP freefoil which has the same boxes and I think they feel heavy. I can feel the weight of the board trying to pull it down when gybing. It still gybes fine but you need that little bit extra speed to keep flying all the way round.

Goya say the board will take a 7.5 and it did but it was better with 6.5 and smaller. While being close to the mast track is not a problem, I find it makes you change down sail size earlier because you can not distance your self from a over powered sail so easily.

It is a interesting design. While traditional foil boards have big wide tails so you can move back and fly, instead goya have brought the foil forward so you and the foil are more in the middle of the board. With both designs you still have your back foot level with the front foil bolt so the dynamics in that respect are unchanged.