AHD SeaLion

• Da ich über die Suche fast nichts zum AHD SeaLion gefunden habe einmal die Frage: Wer hat Erfahrungen mit den AHD SeaLions gemacht? Vor allem den SeaLion Wings finde ich spannend. Für uns als "Sommerboard" für die ganze Family.

Einsatzideen und Vorstellung wäre: Für SUP (viel Flachwasser, aber keine Tagestouren), WindSUP, am Meer kleine Dünung runter rutschen, irgendwann mal auch mal Windfoilen und Wing Folien probieren. Das ganze auch für meine Kids zum mit auf dem Board sein und einfach Zeit auf dem Wasser zu verbrigen. Ohne Materialschlacht und nicht als das perfekte Material, sondern als einfache One Board Lösung wenn nicht Windsurfen im Mittelpunkt steht sondern einfach Spaß und Zeit auf dem Wasser,

Hält der SeaLion was er verspricht? Hatte Kontakt mit dem SeaLion Support, dort wurde in jedem Fall sehr schnell, freundlich und kompetent geholfen. Trotzdem würden mich eure Erfahrungen sehr interessieren!

• I had the 8'6" sealion wings and for this summer I have a sealion wings 9' on order.

I am 95kg and I got the sealion 8'6" for a bit of surf suping and occasional wind foiling. But I found the board a bit small for supping. It was frustrating trying to stay on it to catch waves so I ended up just surfing it and leaving the paddle on the beach. It rode the waves surprisingly well with the big "fish tail" doing nice bottom turns.

I did wind foil it a bit but I prefer dedicated windfoil boards. I like my foot straps. It flew fine once up but it isn't the earliest to fly board. There is quite a lot of board behind the foil making it harder to pump the foil. There is also quite a lot of rocker in the board so it does not glide quickly.

So there are compromises there but it is a board you can take to the beach then set it up in a lot of ways to have fun at the beach. It makes a nice light wind wave board for windsurfing. There is so much you can do with the board but in many areas it can not match the performance of a dedicated board. It does let you have one board instead of 3 boards.

Please ask any questions you want.

• There is so much you can do with the board but in many areas it can not match the performance of a dedicated board. It does let you have one board instead of 3 boards.

Sounds good! I'm around 70 kg. The SeaLion team suggested the 8.6 Wings size for me. I ride one of the first Starboard inflatable WindSUPs (with daggerboard option) as SUP and family summerboard since 10 years now. After standing on shorter SUPs which turn much easier I think this could fit better to progress.

SUP surfing in waves would not be my focus, rather do first attempts in very small waves with sail.

My current thoughts and questions are:

Does the SeaLion plane on flat water (even if slow)?

Straight line paddling on flat water: Is the length much too small / too much rocker? I don't do daytrips on flatwater, rather short paddling for an hour or so.

Would you think it's okay to start wind / wing foiling in it? Or too hard & rather frustrating?

Durability: Is it more durable than a usual windsurf board? As family board and with two small kids the board has to take a lot.

Many Thanks

Thomas

• Does the SeaLion plane on flat water (even if slow)?

Straight line paddling on flat water: Is the length much too small / too much rocker? I don't do daytrips on flatwater, rather short paddling for an hour or so.

Would you think it's okay to start wind / wing foiling in it? Or too hard & rather frustrating?

Durability: Is it more durable than a usual windsurf board? As family board and with two small kids the board has to take a lot.

Yes, the board will plane. Its not the sort of board you want to put a big heavy rig on to try to force it to plane in light winds. You are best to stick with sail up to 6.0. It will skim along quite happily.

At 8'6" the board does track. While maybe not the ideal sup touring board it is a lot better than my current naish crossover which does not want to go in a straight line. The rails of the sea line are quite parallel which maybe why it tracks ok.

Yes you can foil it - it suits a medium to low aspect foil ie one with plenty of lift at low speed. If you wanted a foil to try both wind and wing foiling then don't go too big with the front wing. Ie if you used a 2000cm2 wing it might be fine for winging but you would loose control if you put a sail on the board. So go for a 1300- 1500 wing as a dual purpose foil of have two wings.

Durability? I never damaged the one I had. Probably the fact they have handles makes them easier to carry about without dropping them. And it is not the sort of board that you tend to go out on over powered so catapults should be rare.

The main point of the board is that there is no excuse not to be on it on the water. All you have to do is decide whether it is going to be the wind or a paddle that makes it go.

The retro colours are a bit of a insult to all the brands who research each years "in colours" and I kind of like that.

• You are best to stick with sail up to 6.0.

My sail range is 4.2 to 6.0 so this should fit just fine.

All you mention sounds very good, as I look for an easy going all in one board. Time on the water is short and precious. And all the windsurf gear to carry with is not working for trips with the family, which often are not the tipical windsurfing destinations.

• Like the graphics of the Sealion as well. Doesn't look outdated but still great after years.

• Ich hatte mal den Original 7'6 mit 135 Litern und dann den 9'0 mit 145 Litern, beide keine "Wings".

Der 7'6 war mir mit 92 kg zu klein/kurz zum Supen, aber zum Windsurfen ok, kam sogar ins Gleiten, aber man musste halt immer ein kleines Segel oder auf Flachwasser fahren, sonst war das Teil ohne Schlaufen schwer zu kontrollieren. Mit 8,5 kg war das Board auch recht leicht. Der Rest funktionierte wie in der Werbung.

Ich hab mir dann einen 9'0 geholt, der war deutlich einfacher zum Supen, allerdings war Gleitwindsurfen nicht mehr wirklich möglich, da der 9'0 deutlich mehr Rocker hatte als der Original 7'6. Beim Supen in der Welle fand ich das Board im Vergleich zu einem normalen SUP auch eher weniger drehfreudig.

Und mit 10,5 kg auch recht schwer.

Da ich dann auch mit Windfoilen angefangen habe, hab ich mir aus diversen Gründen keinen Sealion mehr geholt, sondern ein Custommade mit modernem Stubbyshape in 7'11, 130 Liter, und allen Inserts für SUP, Windsup, Windfoilen und Wingen bzw. Supfoil. Und das ganze nur 9,2 kg schwer.

Mit dem war ich mehrere Jahre super zufrieden (und fand das Gesamtpaket auch besser als beim Sealion).

Inzwischen hab ich mich entschieden mir für die genannten Disziplinen 2 Boards zu gönnen und Wind- und Supfolien aus dem Anforderungsprofil zu streichen, d. h. jetzt hab ich ein WaveSUP mit Windsurfoption und ein Wingboard.

• Danke AlexF. Mein Gedanke beim Sealion ist halt alles machen und ausprobieren zu können, auch wenn es in allen Disziplinen sicher bessere und spezialisierter Boards gibt. Allerdings habe ich vieles noch nie gemacht was das Board können soll (SUP in kleinen Wellen, Windsurfen in kleinen Wellen, Wind- und Wing-Foilen). Wenns zum Ausprobieren und für erste Schritte reicht und Lust auf mehr macht wäre der Sealion eine recht günstige Lösung. Wenn ich dann an einer Sache angefressen hänge bleibe macht sicher ein spezialisiertes Board mehr Sinn.

Denkst du für die Idee taugt der Sealion?

• Ja, hatte ja auch erst einen Sealion, bevor ich zur Erkenntnis kam, dass man so ein Boardkonzept noch optimaler gestalten kann.

• Ja, hatte ja auch erst einen Sealion, bevor ich zur Erkenntnis kam, dass man so ein Boardkonzept noch optimaler gestalten kann.

Darf ich fragen was für ein Custom war das? Von Mojo? Ist 7'11 nicht etwas zu kurz zum geradeaus SUPen auf Flachwasser?

• Das erste Custom hatte ich mir von Boardschmiede bauen lassen, als Tilo noch bei uns in der Gegend gewohnt hat. Dann ein Mojo.

Flachwasser Supen geht gut, die parallelen Kanten machen das Board richtungsstabil. Ist natürlich nicht mit einem großen, langen Board vergleichbar.