Slalomboard railen auf Leekante - bei (sehr) tiefer Hüfte

• Erik Loots I have heard that’s some dedicated Speedsurfers are using tow pair of harness lines or different starboard und port settings depending on the wave direction. I personally use cheap vario harness and get annoyed by the slipp trough:)

True, I the past I sometimes swapped gear with very fast speedsurfers. Some use shorter harnasslines for upwind (I also sometimes do this). Some move harnasslines more (up to 10cm) to the back on the boom for the downwind reach.

However there are also very fast speedsurfers that do not use different harnasslines lenght/position for upwind or downwind. It is personally and depends on gear. There was once for example a very fast speedsurfer with always a very high boom position, he changed boards (another brand) . He tried everything, eventually he figured the boom position needed to be very low for these boards to go fast.

1. IF you are trimmed for automatically upwind flying on the rail, THEN crosswind/downwind your board will stick more and require rider input.
    2. IF you are trimmed for automatically downwind flying on the rail, THEN upwind your board will tailwalk or roll-over (high chance too crash).

Hi Erik, als engagierter Freerider lese ich da einen Widerspruch:

1. Die Finne/Trimm, die den Lift produziert um Am- und Halbwind ordentlich zu railen ist M.E. für einen gescheiten Downwind Speed ehr zu lang. Das Board wird unruhig nach oben raus.
    2. Die Finne/Trimm der dem Board auf dem Downwind Speedrun genügend Lift ohne Kontrollverlust liefert lässt das Board auf dem Amwind Kurs dann auf dem Wasser kleben.

Wo ist der Fehler :confused:

1. IF you are trimmed for automatically upwind flying on the rail, THEN crosswind/downwind your board will stick more and require rider input.
    2. IF you are trimmed for automatically downwind flying on the rail, THEN upwind your board will tailwalk or roll-over (high chance too crash).

Hi Erik, als engagierter Freerider lese ich da einen Widerspruch:

1. Die Finne/Trimm, die den Lift produziert um Am- und Halbwind ordentlich zu railen ist M.E. für einen gescheiten Downwind Speed ehr zu lang. Das Board wird unruhig nach oben raus.
    2. Die Finne/Trimm der dem Board auf dem Downwind Speedrun genügend Lift ohne Kontrollverlust liefert lässt das Board auf dem Amwind Kurs dann auf dem Wasser kleben.

Wo ist der Fehler :confused:

Ha, this is a good one. By trim, I actually refer to adjusting the mastfoot position, downhaul, boom position, and/or outhaul. I hadn't considered that changing the fin could also be described as trimming. Your points are valid, blinki-bill, regarding changing the fin as a method of trim."

I don't switch fins to enhance upwind/downwind performance. Instead, I change equipment when the water state or wind strength is not ideal. To optimize upwind or downwind performance, I adjust the downhaul, mastfoot position, and boom position. My all-time best gear combinations (board plus one size fin) have consistently performed well on all courses. When a windsurfer travels much faster than the wind speed downwind, the apparent wind comes from the front (similar to sailing upwind). For the fin, a fast board speed downwind is not significantly different from sailing at a slower speed upwind. If your fin is truly excellent, then it's fast on all courses, in my experience, without the need to change size.

• Hey Erik, what is your Fin of dreams?

I wish there was one answer for everyone, but it depends on board, waterstate, rider style + weight. Today my fin of dreams is different than 10 yrs ago for example. My homespot is different compared to 10yrs ago, I am also a different windsurfer. My fin of dreams today allround+safe and comfort is important. This means the fin feels not extreme stiff or edgy on the water. In the past I always optimized only for the highest speed on GPS, I used more scarry Fins.

Today my favorite fin depends on waterstate: the Sonntag Sl weed for weedy waters. The Sonntag gps6 for flatwater. The tribal slalom mk2 for chaos water / high chop. The Sonntag sl-pro for medium/high chop. Tribal weedspeed for chaos weedy water.

Something I did experience is the "fin of dreams" of radical pro windsurfers was no dream for me. My fin of dreams was never found by looking/copy the best windsurfers (I tried... ). It is better to find one finbuilder and give feedback for each next fin (where the current fin is lacking performance for yourself) . This is how I got eventually most of my best fins for me at Sonntag fins. It takes time, but rewarding once each new fin is really better.