A little vide clip where I discuss the shapes of my personal boards

• Hi all, Simmer style shaper Ola Helenius here. My friend Christer Holm made a little video clip where I discuss my personal board shapes and show some sailing from my local spot. My own boards are all kind of odd and I use pretty unusual fin setups too, so maybe it can be interesting to watch for people interesting in board shaping.

I can read comments in German but prefer to answer in English

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

• Hi Ola,

great to see your registration and thanks for posting. :-)

Welcome in the forum, have fun here!!

Totti

Dieser Text wurde nach alter, neuer und eigener Rechtschreibung geschrieben und ist daher fehlerfrei!
    Tipp Weltmeister F1 2011 & 2013, Tipp Team-Weltmeister F1 2009, 2010, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021!

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Hej, hej Ola! Välkommen till forumet!

Ich nehme dein Angebot an und schreibe in Deutsch. Antworten in Englisch oder in einer anderen Sprache, sollten mit den modernen Übersetzungsmöglichkeiten ohnehin kein Hindernis sein.

Sehr interessant wie du über die diversen Kurven eines Boardes sprichts, verwendest du als Mathematiker eigentlich selbst entwickelte oder speziell adaptierte Designprogramme? Soweit ich mit dem Thema vertraut bin, sind die handelsüblichen Baord CAD Programme durch die Verwendung von Splines-Kurven etwas limitiert, wie man Kurven und Oberflächen zeichnet und/oder analysiert.

• Yes, I start out by by designing a multitude of curves running along the board in a program I have made myself that runs in MATLAB - a general mathematics program. For many of these, I first describe the curvature along the curve, then have the program calculate the actual curve for me. So I can have very exact control of curvature flows.

From this program I then export a special file that the open source program BOARDcad can read through a special add on written specifically for me by the developer of Boardcad. In Boardcad I might look at some sections and stuff, but never do any changes. Boardcad then exports an stp-file consisting of two nurbs surfaces (deck and bottom), that fx a standard cad software like Rhino can read. I typically check volume and some aspect of flow in Rhino. My builders than either take the rhino file, or have their router set up directly to work with Boardcad.

Nowhere in this process, I use standard splines. NURBS is a form of splines, but allow fully free modeling. And yes, I consider specific board design programs that works with more simple spline functions quite limited. But a good shaper chooses tools that work for them, sn obviously many shaper, fx in te surf business, make great work with software that would not be preferred by me.

• But a good shaper chooses tools that work for them, sn obviously many shaper, fx in te surf business, make great work with software that would not be preferred by me.

Ja ein Shaper kann mit Standard CAD SW sicher alle seine Ideen umsetzen und damit großartige Boards designen.

Aber ich konnte mir auch nicht vorstellen, dass ein Mathematiker mit diesen Tools zufrieden wäre ;) .

• Hi Ola!

As a windsurfer with some mathematics and programming background, I stumbled upon your interview on windsurfing.tv (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtLAJT1pNgA) and this peeked my interest. Super interesting !! I read some basics about NURBS as a hobby, because I like to understand things - and maybe who knows, shape a windsurf board for fun some day ;) I have a question about your process:

Let’s imagine we are designing an ouline. In the standard parameterization Q(t) of a NURB (with order, control points, knots, and possibly weights), we obtain cartesian coordinates x,y as a function of t on an interval. We can then obtain curvature at any t. But in your windsurfing.tv interview, it seems that you use a different parameterisation of NURBS: you specify curvature for a set of x on the central line of the board (if I understand well?) and I imagine that your program translates this into the standard NURBS parameters. Are you able to explain, or do you have a good reference, about how to do this reparameterization ?

Thanks!

Arnaud