Beiträge von Dennis b

No, just show up at the described time!
    We will have some sails to test and Andrea will give some information on Trim, rigging and slalom

See you there

Dennis

Winds bar,
    That the place to find some lady-company.
    Conca d'oro is the place to surf from in the afternoon.

see you there,

Dennis

Well I think weight on a scale does not matter one bit.
    That is if it mast, sail or boom you are talking about.

I do think its nice with a light board, if its a small board so its easier on the feet to turn and jump with on big slalom and formula... its heavy no matter what..

Talking about sails its a different matter. There I would say for the mast you are looking for fast reflex, the weight is not so important.
    In the boom you are looking for something stiff that improves the handling of the sail. On smaller sails this does not offer much difference and you can use alu booms..
    If the sail itself should be light weight? well in my opinion it does not matter how heavy a sail is when its rolled up in its bag. What is important is how heavy it feels once you have it in the water and going full speed!! Then it should be feeling light, neutral and easy in your hands..

Dennis

its called marlow formuline and is white, slipery. The only thing you can use to pull easy downhaul on big sails. Best used with a streamlined ext.

Funny directions as to there being a lot of speculations about how the windsurf industry is being controlled by a big hand in the sky.. Someone could write a good conspiracy theory out of all this.;)

I will say this, in germany I do not feel that marketing budgets matter to the German magazines. How this is in other countries I will not get into.

There is no garantees that when you send in a sail or a board to be tested that it will get a good result.
    Hence there are also brands who will no longer have their material tested... They dont want it...

You have to remember that a magazine without readers is a worthless magazine. A magazine is only as good as the articles it writes, if it does not have the credibility of its readers then who would read it and lastly who would want to advertise in it?

So it must be in the magazines interest to pass fair judgement on all the material they are testing.

Dennis

And if this thread now has scared everyone from reading a test, then come to fehmarn and try the gear first hand...

Firstly sorry for not writing in German.

But this thread is going in some funny directions and I would like to add a few things as a new company on the German market.

We have been well recieved by the 2 mentioned German publications and hope to continue to have the option to have our gear tested by them both.
    I dont feel that advertising budgets should matter in who gets tests done or what the result should be.
    however I would mention that, no one is charging us for testing our sails and I have not heard of anything like that...

However I do think what should be made clearer in a test result is the basis on which the magazine is testing.

Example from the car industry; a Jeep is a 4WD, but it does not always get tested off-road, its more likely to be tested on the moterway or in the city. So the results will not match those we expect from a 4WD car but its ability to be used as a 'normal' car.

In our sport today the sails and boards are so diverse and getting ever more specific in their use so how do they get tested??.
    I do believe its important to test surf equipment in their Right enviroment and also let the readers know which conditions and on which basis the gear was testet.

I see it like this:
    Slalom gear should be tested in overpowered conditions of min 20-30 knots in choppy or wave conditions, as the kit is made for competing in these conditions going hard down wind in rough conditions(sea).
    Free ride -free race gear in light wind with slightly choppy conditions (Garda)
    Wave gear should be tested in real side shore wave conditions and not perfect maui.. (North Sea)

an so on.. But with emphasis on using the right gear in the right conditions and keeping in mind what the gear is build for...

Dennis

Do it backwards from from when rigging the sail.
    First release a bit of downhaul. open the zipper by the batten and press the camber of from the mast by putting your hand inside the sail and push directly on the camber.
    Remove you boom and release all the downhaul. Problem solved and you sail will keep longer like this also.

Regards

Dennis

Ciao David,
    The North Mast is ok, as a compromise. So its not perfect, but can be used.
    Some mast brands are closer to eachother than others.
    When saying closer, I mean in bendcurve and hardness. But for optimal performance you should always choose the right mast for your sail.
    When Thorsten is using the north mast, which is softer in the top than the C1 mast from Point-7 then he is loosing reactiveness and performance of the sail and he also wont get the same bottom profile in the sail as the sail opens up earlier than it would with the right one. So its a compromise...

Dennis

Hi Thorsten,

The mast you are using is ok, its somewhat looser in the top than ours, but you can use it as a compromise. Try to sail with some negative outhaul like on a race sail. That will give you a real power boost should you need it. The sail can also be rigged on a skinny mast up to 7.2 mq.

Dennis

The loose leach is extreme on this sail and I will tell you why. When we decided to build this sail, we did not want to add a new freeride sail to our range, but a no-cam slalom sail. But in order to have the stability of a slalom sail we also needed to loosen up the leece and give the sail an extreme mast bend curve. Just like on our race sails. The loose leach will allow the sail to breathe more in gusts and also let the mast move more freely again alowing the sail to work. The power of a sail does not come from the top part of the sail but from the bottom part and the boom area..
    The top speed on this sail can only be compared with a race sail, it beats the Runner any day of the week. So if you are looking for top speed, but not for cambers, then this is a very good option.

Dennis

for the record to be official it's stated in the rules that the needed margin is only 1/100 of a second on a same course when the poles haven't been set differently and the same timing sytem is used. If I am right it took Antoine 19,818 sec and Finian 19,957 seconds to do 500. This is 14/100 of a second. The rules say depending on how you look at it anything between 0,01-0,04 of a second so it's official!

well done Albeau!!

you can also put in an old glasfiber mast if you want and you can still sail. What I'm saying is, if you spend a lot of money on a nice sail, then you should also spend some money on the right mast. Because otherwise your sail wont work as it is designed too.. meaning you will get less preformace from you new sail and it wont react as it is designed to do.

When you produce a sail. You firstly have the mast with the bend curve and hardness that the sails designer likes. Afterwards he builds the sail to fit the mast. If you want a 100% performace from your sail you need the right mast.
    Anything else is a compromise.. No 2 companies make their masts the same, so if its a question about saving 50-100 euro, save them somewhere else... it makes a huge difference what mast you are using....

Hi Oliver,

Youi need to put a lot of tension on 3 lower battons and then as you move up the sails you apply less and less tention. The top 2 battons have to be neutral meaning you only tighten enough to straighten the sail foil.
    I will send you a trim guide via e-mail

Dennis