2019 Fly! ANA Yokosuka PWA World Cup

• The world’s best racers have made their annual voyage to Asia as they prepare for the 3rd edition of the Fly! ANA Yokosuka PWA World Cup, which takes place between 10th-15th May. Tsukuihama Beach will host the second stop on the PWA Slalom World Tour for both the Men’s and Women’s fleets, while also racing the curtain on the Foil World Tour for 2019.

Tsukuihama Beach, Yokosuka City, is situated approximately 80km southwest of Japan’s capital Tokyo. Yokosuka blends city life with the sea, while also being a Naval Port. Yokosuka occupies most of the Miura Peninsula and is bordered by the mouth of Tokyo Bay to the east and Sagami Bay on the west, which provides a beautiful backdrop. As Tsukuihama Beach is almost completely protected it can provide great flat water racing conditions. As well as its maritime connections Yokosuka is also famous for it’s locally grown produce and there is even a tourist farm where you can pick your own strawberries, sweet potatoes or tangerines depending on the time of year.

6686068a6f.jpg

Event HQ from above

Slalom

Women’s

Reigning world champion and current world tour leader - Delphine Cousin Questel (Starboard / S2Maui) - will start the second event of the year as the clear favourite. The 3-time world champion made the perfect start in France and is now on a winning run that stretches back to November 2017 and she may prove difficult to stop again.

JP18_sl_FRA775_0627.jpg

Delphine Cousin Questel leading the way

Marion Mortefon (Fanatic / Duotone) made a solid start in France by claiming second place ahead of Oda Brødholt (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins) could well be Cousin Questel’s biggest threat again, however, the likes of Maëlle Guilbaud (Patrik / Loftsails) and Lena Erdil (Starboard / Point-7 / AL360 / Chopper Fins) are also more than capable of challenging for top honours. Erdil, in particular, may offer more of a threat here than in France with a couple of additional weeks training under her belt as she continues her come back from injury.

13cfe3e6bd.jpg

Marion Mortefon gybes

In With a Chance

Elsewhere, the likes of Esther de Geus (Fanatic / Duotone), Lilou Granier (Starboard / Phantom Sails) could be in contention, while an army of local girls will be hoping to make their mark on home waters with the most likely players being Ayako Suzuki (Tabou / GA Sails) and Mio Anayama (Starboard / S2Maui).

0e2ffa8c8e.jpg

Ayako Suzuki

Men’s

Pierre Mortefon (Fanatic / Duotone / Chopper Fins) comes into Japan with the current world tour lead after pipping Antoine Albeau (JP / NeilPryde) to victory in France. That victory means that Mortefon has now won back-to-back events for the first time in his career and the 29-year-old will look to maintain that early season momentum as he searches for a maiden world title.

69e7ff8ece.jpg

Pierre Mortefon

Having changed board sponsor late last winter, any questions about whether Albeau’s board speed would be competitive have been firmly answered in France. AA led the final and showed excellent speed throughout and he’ll once again be in the thick of the action as he eyes world title No.26. Albeau is also the defending event champion.

61c4c9ee6b.jpg

Antoine Albeau cranks a gybe

Current vice-world champion - Matteo Iachino (Starboard / Severne / Shamal Sunglasses) - will look to bounce back from a disappointing result in France, but with just one race completed in Marignane there’s no reason to panic and you can expect to see a strong showing from the Italian here.

6332053365.jpg

Matteo Iachino on the fly

Some people may have tried to write Sebastian Kördel (Starboard / GA Sails) off after a disappointing 2018 Slalom campaign, but the German clearly never lost faith in his own ability. Kördel bounced back immediately in France by earning his second ever slalom podium - 3rd - and he will now look to build upon a great start to the season.

3952b1b444.jpg

Sebastian Kördel

Jordy Vonk (Fanatic / Duotone) came into 2019 off the back of his best overall result to date - 4th - and the flying Dutchman showed in France that he’ll be a force to be reckoned with again for the coming season after starting the season with a solid 4th place.

a4547b0cb2.jpg

Jordy Vonk

Finian Maynard (FMX Racing) made a bright start in France as he qualified for the final where he finished 5th and he too could be in the running again here in Japan.

486d636cbb.jpg

Finian Maynard

Last year’s world No.5 - Julien Quentel (Patrik / Gun Sails) - also made a decent start to the season with a 6th place and the man from Saint Maarten will have fond memories from Japan having won the event here in 2017.

5739faa164.jpg

Julien Quentel

The top 10 coming into Japan is currently completed by Bruno Martini (I-99 / Challenger Sails), Malte Reuscher (Tabou / GA Sails), Mateus Isaac (JP / NeilPryde) and Marco Lang (Fanatic / Duotone), who will be happy to be back to seemingly full fitness after being hampered by a mystery virus last year.

cb52f9936a.jpg

Bruno Martini

Elsewhere, Ross Williams (Tabou / GA Sails / Shamal Sunglasses), Pascal Toselli (JP / Loftsails / Chopper Fins), Cyril Moussilmani (RRD / RRD Sails) and Tristan Algret (Starboard / Severne / Chopper Fins) will all look to bounce back from missing out on the top 10 in the opening event of the year.

c6cc433366.jpg

Ross Williams

Other names to look out for include the aspiring young talents of Ethan Westera (Tabou / GA Sails), Basile Jacquin (I-99 Point-7), Nicolas Goyard (Tabou / GA Sails) and Amado Vrieswijk (JP / Severne) - who finished 11th, 12th, 14th and 15th respectively.

3cc2d32513.jpg

Ethan Westera

Foiling

Women’s

The 2019 Fly! ANA Yokosuka World Cup will also go down in history as it will be the first event to host Women’s Foiling. It is going to be very interesting to see who stands out as the top sailor in Foiling as with no previous world cup events there is little to go on. You would expect to see the usual suspects - Delphine Cousin Questel (Starboard / S2Maui / Starboard Foils), Marion Mortefon (Fanatic / Duotone / LOKEFOIL) and Lena Erdil, but it will be interesting to see if that’s how it pans out!

Men’s

As the reigning world champion - Gonzalo Costa Hoevel (Starboard / Severne / Starboard Foils) - will probably start the event as the narrow favourite, however, there would not be much between himself, Sebastian Kördel (Starboard / GA Sails / Starboard Foils), who finished the season level on points - 30,300 points.

1d0a735aad.jpg

Gonzalo Costa Hoevel

On paper next in line would be Antoine Albeau and Alexandre Cousin (Patrik / Phantom Sails / LOKEFOIL), who finished 3rd and 4th last year - but also tied on 30,100 points.

0ad95fc53c.jpg

Antoine Albeau

As last season showed though Foiling is currently incredibly difficult to predict with there being 4 separate winners from the 4 events completed in 2018 - world champion Costa Hoevel won here last year, while Brazilian Mateus Isaac won in South Korea, Amado Vrieswijk in Costa Brava and finally Matteo Iachino (Starboard / Severne / Shamal Sunglasses / Starboard Foils) claimed a decisive victory in Sylt to finish the year and as previous event winners’ they are also heavily in contention.

With another winter of development under their foil wings, it will be interesting to see who gains the early advantage in this year’s title race.

811e774ed2.jpg

Foiling in front of the iconic Mount Fuji

The forecast currently looks quite light for the opening few days of the event meaning that the Foiling may take centre stage, while later it the week there is the promise of stronger winds for the slalom. Make sure you stay tuned into www.pwaworldtour.combetween the 10th-15th May.

To stay up to date with all the latest developments from Japan — including the live stream, elimination ladders, entry list, images, and live ticker simply click HERE and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Schedule For Opening Day (All Times GMT+8)

Registration 10-11am

Skippers’ Meeting - 1:30pm

First Possible Start - 2:30pm

Dieser Text wurde nach alter, neuer und eigener Rechtschreibung geschrieben und ist daher fehlerfrei!
    Tipp Weltmeister F1 2011 & 2013, Tipp Team-Weltmeister F1 2009, 2010, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021!

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Zur Info, die Links gehen nicht, beim mir zumindest

• Bei mir einwandfrei.

Dieser Text wurde nach alter, neuer und eigener Rechtschreibung geschrieben und ist daher fehlerfrei!
    Tipp Weltmeister F1 2011 & 2013, Tipp Team-Weltmeister F1 2009, 2010, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021!

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• aus dem heutigen liveticker:

13:41 With the wind expected to be on the lighter side for the first couple of days here the focus will be on foiling, The Men's will see heats of 32 with the top 16 advancing, while the Women's Foil will be run as full fleet.

....15:00 The winds still not really playing ball so next announcement 3:15pm - first possible start 3:30pm.

• Sunny skies and light winds greeted competitors on the opening day of the 2019 Fly! ANA Yokosuka PWA World Cup and while it conditions weren’t quite suitable to compete the majority of the Men’s & Women’s Foil fleets did make it out on to the water during the afternoon. In total 57 men and 12 women have registered for the Foil contest, while there is a full men’s fleet for the Slalom and 22 women.

JP19_ls_AP_up_.jpg

Light winds keep the racers on hold

In between a bit of testing we were able to catchup with defending event and Slalom World Champions - Delphine Cousin Questel (Starboard / S2Maui / Starboard Foils) and Antoine Albeau (JP / NeilPryde):

Delphine Cousin Questel won the event here in 2018 and has now won the last 5 world tour events: “I’m feeling great coming in into Japan after making a bright start in Marignane. We only completed one race there, so it was difficult to really see where the other girls are at for this year.

The 2019 Fly! ANA Yokosuka PWA World Cup is also the first event where the Women’s fleet will also compete in Foiling and with regard to how she’s feeling about Foiling the 27-year-old said: “I think it might be difficult to have my focus on foiling as well as slalom, but my main focus definitely remains more on the slalom as I’d really love to win a 4th world title.

I have been foiling for the last two or three years now and over the winter I had some good training sessions, but unfortunately most of us received our new foil equipment pretty late, so it’s difficult to feel 100% in tune with the new stuff. I’m pretty curious to see the result in the foiling and to sail in my first foil race.”

When asked about what she’s expecting from the foiling, Cousin Questel said: “I’m not too sure because for example there is the Alabau sisters - Marina & Blanca - who are purely foiling, so its going to be interesting to see. I’m think my slalom competence and experience can help me while foiling, so let’s just see.”

JP19_fl_Delphine_Cousin_foil_action.jpg

Delphine Cousin Questel on the foil

Defending event champion Antoine Albeau: “It feels good to be back. It’s always a pleasure to come back to Japan because the hospitality of the people is amazing. When I arrived in the airport I was alone, but then I had 9 people come and help me so I didn’t even have to carry one bag, which is just perfect!

The weather forecast wasn’t looking so good to begin with, but now it looks a bit more promising to be able to compete in both Foil & Slalom. I think we will be able to complete a lot of foiling and maybe 2 or 3 rounds of slalom - of course the best would to be able to complete 4 slalom, but we’ll just have to wait and see.

I arrived two days before the event and sailed both days in foil and slalom and it was good. I’m feeling pretty confident with my gear so I just don’t want to make any mistakes or go over early.”

During the close season Albeau changed board sponsor and made a seamless transition by securing a second place in Marignane - when asked about whether he had any worries before the start of the year the 25-time world champion added: “I knew I had some speed, but during the whole winter I was only sailing with Mateus [Isaac] and then he went to Tenerife, so he had more reference about how quick he was going compared to me… I had no reference really, but it turned out well. It’s also not just a case of being the fastest guy to win a final, you need to be the best overall… best start, gybe well etc.

Second was a good start and I feel confident. I’m now interested to see how I fair in really light wind slalom with 9.4m or something. I think between Japan and Korea we will have a lot of action.”

When asked about Foiling Albeau went on to say: “I think it’s going to be difficult because we are going to race in lighter and lighter winds and that makes it a problem for me to get planing. As soon as I’m planing I’m fine, but once I need to tack and gybe it becomes extremely difficult for me as I’m one of the heaviest guys at 99kg. I know I can go fast, but on a small course it’s going to be harder for me to do well. I’ll just try to do my best.”

JP19_fl_Albeau_light_wind_action.jpg

Antoine Albeau on the cruise

The forecast for Saturday looks quite similar to today, but hopefully with a bit of luck the local thermal will be slightly stronger tomorrow and allow the racing to begin. The sailors will meet again at 10am tomorrow morning for the skippers’ meeting with a first possible start at 11am.

To stay up to date with all the latest developments from Japan — including the live stream, elimination ladders, entry list, images, and live ticker simply click HERE and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Das war Tag 2:

A slight improvement to the overnight forecast meant that the racing action began on Day 2 of the Yokosuka PWA World Cup as the Foil fleets took centre stage during the afternoon. The wind remained light throughout at just 3-10 knots - pushing the lower limit possibilities of foiling - making well-timed starts and lay lines imperative for sucess, while being on the lighter side of the weight spectrum today was certainly no disadvantage.

JP19_fl_Foil_Fleet_action.jpg
    Racing underway in Yokosuka

Foil

Women’s

There was plenty of interest in the first ever Women’s Foil races on the PWA World Tour to see who the early frontrunners would be. After the first four eliminations - meaning one discard comes into play - reigning slalom world champion - Delphine Cousin Questel (Starboard / S2Maui / LOKEFOIL) - heads up the overnight rankings after winning the first and last eliminations of the day, while backing those bullets up with two second places.

However, while Cousin Questel may lead the overnight rankings on count-back there is nothing separating her and Marina Alabau, who recorded identical results meaning the two women are tied on 3.4 points. Alabau is a former Olympic Champion and it now looks like she will lock horns with the 3-time slalom world champion over the remainder of the event.

JP19_fl_Foil_battle.jpg
    Delphine Cousin Questel fending off the challenge from the Alabau sisters

Marion Mortefon (Fanatic / Duotone / LOKEFOIL) currently occupies 3rd place after three 3rd places and a 4th, but for a while it looked as though the 27-year-old was going to secure second place in the second elimination, but she fell at the final gybe to allow Cousin Questel to claim 2nd. Mortefon holds a 2 point advantage over 22-year-old Blanca Alabau - who finished the day her best result yet - 3rd. 17-year-old Helle Oppedal is then a further 3 points back in 5th place.

JP19_fl_Marion_Mortfon.jpg
    Marion Mortefon

Men’s

There is a new name at the top of the overnight rankings in the men’s division with debutant - Kiran Badloe (Starboard / Severne / Starboard Foils) - currently leading the way after a 4th and 2nd place in the opening two races. The 25-year-old is no stranger to racing though as he is currently campaigning for a place in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

JP19_fl_Kiran_Bradloe_rounds_the_mark.jpg
    Kiran Badloe leading the way

However, there is almost nothing separating the current top 3. Current slalom world tour leader - Pierre Mortefon (Fanatic / Duotone / LOKEFOIL) - enjoyed his best day to date on the foil, which saw the Frenchman secure two solid second places and is tied on 6 points with Badloe, while Nicolas Goyard (Tabou / GA Sails / Phantom Foils) is just a further 0.7 of a point behind in 3rd. Goyard secured the opening bullet of the year, which he followed up with a 6th place in Elimination 2.

JP19_fl_Pierre_Mortefon.jpg
    Pierre Mortefon on song

Current vice-world champion - Sebastian Kördel (Starboard / GA Sails / Starboard Foils) - made a steady start to proceedings with a 4th and 5th place and sits in 4th place at the end of the day.

Alexandre Cousin (Patrik / Phantom Sails / Phantom Foils), who finished 3rd overall last season, is also firmly in contention after the opening two eliminations with the Frenchman recording a second and 8th place.

JP19_fl_Alex_Cousin.jpg
    Alexandre Cousin makes decent start

Nicolas Goyard wasn’t the only Goyard to secure a bullet today as his brother Thomas Goyard (FMX Racing / Phantom Sails / Phantom Foils) claimed a clear cut victory in Elimination 2, which lifts the 27-year-old into 6th place after a 13th in the opening race.

JP19_fl_Goyard_leads_the_way.jpg
    Thomas Goyard with a significant lead

Amado Vrieswijk (JP / Severne) was one of the 4 sailors to win an event last year and he is currently the highest ranked sailor out of those 4 in 7th place after a 10th and 6th. Matteo Iachino (Starboard / Severne / Shamal Sunglasses / Starboard Foils) is next in 9th place, followed by Mateus Isaac (JP / NeilPryde) in 11th, while reigning event and world champion Gonzalo Costa Hoevel (Starboard / Severne / Starboard Foils) is down in a lowly 27th place. The Argentine's efforts weren't helped by Thomas Goyard, who badly impeded Costa Hoevel just before the start of the first final causing Costa Hoevel to miss the start line and effectively end his chances.

JP19_fl_Gonzalo_in_trouble.jpg
    Thomas Goyard forces Gonzalo Costa Hoevel out of proceedings

The top ten is currently completed by Denmark’s Sebastian Kornum (JP / NeilPryde) in 8th and William Huppert (Fanatic / Duotone / LOKEFOIL) - 10th.

JP19_fl_Sebastian_Kornum.jpg
    Sebastian Kornum

The gradient wind is expected to be slightly stronger tomorrow at 10-14 knots, but it is expected to swing to the south from the east, so we will have to wait and see what effect that has on the local thermal. The sailors will meet again at 9:30am (GMT+8) tomorrow morning with the action commencing from 10:30am onwards.

Also if you don’t already, follow us on our Social Media Channels:

- Facebook:@PWAWorldTourWindsurfing

- Instagram: @pwaworldtour

- Twitter: @pwaworldtour

Current Ranking 2019 Fly! ANA Yokosuka PWA World Cup - Women’s Foil
    *After 4 Eliminations

1st Delphine Cousin Questel (FRA - Starboard / S2Maui / LOKEFOIL)

2nd Marina Alabau (ESP)

3rd Marion Mortefon (FRA - Fanatic / Duotone / LOKEFOIL)

4th Blanca Alabau (ESP)

5th Helle Oppedal (DEN)

Current Ranking 2019 Fly! ANA Yokosuka PWA World Cup - Men’s Foil

*After 2 Eliminations

1st Kiran Badloe (NED - Starboard / Severne Sails / Starboard Foils)

2nd Pierre Mortefon (FRA - Fanatic / Duotone / LOKEFOIL)

3rd Nicolas Goyard (FRA - Tabou / GA Sails / Phantom Foils)

4th Sebastian Kördel (GER - Starboard / GA Sails / Starboard Foils)

5th Alexandre Cousin (FRA - Patrik / Phantom Sails / Phantom Foils)

6th Thomas Goyard (FRA - FMX Racing / Phantom Sails / Phantom Foils)

7th Amado Vrieswijk (NB - JP / Severne)

8th Sebastian Kornum (DEN - JP / NeilPryde)

9th Matteo Iachino (ITA - Starboard / Severne / Shamal Sunglasses / Starboard Foils)

10th William Huppert (FRA / Fanatic / Duotone / LOKEFOIL)

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• First thing this morning things looked quite promising with a moderate onshore breeze on offer, however, shortly after the skippers’ meeting the wind began to deteriorate an it never really showed much sign of filling back in on the third day of the Fly! ANA Yokosuka PWA World Cup despite a swing back to the south during the afternoon.

JP19_ls_Eagle_flyover.jpg

Where eagles dare

Shortly after the competition was called off for the day several sailors headed out for a free sail on their foils, and while that was possible, it was clearly evident that conditions were a long way from being able to race.

JP19_ls_Drone_event_view_photo.jpg

Event HQ

Looking Ahead

The forecast for Monday looks quite similar to Saturday’s forecast, which allowed 2 Men’s and 4 Women’s Foil Eliminations to be completed, with the gradient wind expected to return to the south-southeast, which should hopefully allow the local thermal effect to kick in again.

Looking slightly further ahead the current forecast for Tuesday offers the hope of producing conditions suitable for the Slalom fleet with the latest model offering moderate to fresh breezes between 12-23 knots from the south-southeast.

3199a44612ca30f87400fc4b7a8056ad.png

Forecast for the next two days

The fleets will meet again at 10am tomorrow morning for the skippers’ meeting with the racing commencing from 11am (GMT+8) onwards - if conditions allow.

*After 4 Eliminations

1st Delphine Cousin Questel (FRA - Starboard / S2Maui / Starboard Foil)

2nd Marina Alabau (ESP - Starboard / Severne / Starboard Foil)

4th Blanca Alabau (ESP - Starboard / Severne / Starboard Foil)

5th Helle Oppedal (DEN - Fanatic / Duotone)

*After 2 Eliminations

1st Kiran Badloe (NED - Starboard / Severne Sails / Starboard Foil)

2nd Pierre Mortefon (FRA - Fanatic / Duotone / LOKEFOIL)

3rd Nicolas Goyard (FRA - Tabou / GA Sails / Phantom Foils)

4th Sebastian Kördel (GER - Starboard / GA Sails / Starboard Foils)

5th Alexandre Cousin (FRA - Patrik / Phantom Sails / Phantom Foils)

6th Amado Vrieswijk (NB - JP / Severne)

7th Sebastian Kornum (DEN - JP / NeilPryde)

8th Matteo Iachino (ITA - Starboard / Severne / Shamal Sunglasses / Starboard Foils)

9th William Huppert (FRA - Fanatic / Duotone / LOKEFOIL)

10th Mateus Isaac (BRA - JP / NeilPryde)

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

16:45 With the conditions failing to show any real signs of improvement the racing has officially been called off for the day here in Japan. All hopes will now rest on the final day for any further racing. Skippers' meeting tomorrow for all fleets 8:30am - first possible start 9:30am. Thanks for tuning in.

schade

• Das war Tag 5:

For the majority of the week the forecast has suggested that Tuesday would produce the best racing conditions of the event, unfortunately though, that’s not how things panned out with heavy rain squalls playing havoc with the wind, and ultimately, it was not possible to complete any racing on the penultimate day of the 2019 Fly! ANA Yokosuka PWA World Cup.

JP19_ls_Rainy_day_in_Japan.jpg

Rainy lay day

We caught up with current Foiling Vice-World Champion - Sebastian Kördel (Starboard / GA Sails / Starboard Foil) - who sits in 2nd place tied on 11 points with event leader - Pierre Mortefon (Fanatic / Duotone / LOKEFOIL) - we asked him how disappointing it was to have no racing on the most promising day according to the forecast: “It’s very disappointing as I really wanted to show that it was not a one hit wonder in France to be in the podium in Slalom.

It’s disappointing that the wind didn’t come through, but on the other hand we just have to take what we can get and not lose our minds over the situation. You just have to accept it."

We also asked Kördel about what he thought about the racing so far this week as the Foiling here in Japan has arguably seen the lightest conditions we have ever raced in - the German had this to say: “It’s obviously been very light, but it’s been good and tight racing for me. I enjoyed the racing factor in it - it’s been tight all the time and been a solid fight throughout constantly trying to edge out just that little bit more to edge in front of people - I was overtaking people on the reaches, which I enjoyed a lot - just passing people feels great.

But on the other hand I had this feeling that if we had just 2 or 3 knots more then it would’ve been really fun and you are not suffocating all the time.”

When asked about how happy he is with his own performance so far this week, Kördel said: “I think I’ve done well in a tough foiling fleet - especially when you consider the light winds and all the RSX guys who are competing here - they obviously have quite an advantage with the body type they have for these conditions. When the wind is this light it’s even more important to be light, so I make my equipment as light as possible. I have a special custom boom which is just 2.8kg compared to my Slalom boom which is 4.7kg.”

JP19_fl_Sebastian_Kordel.jpg

Sebastian Kördel

Last year must have been quite disappointing for you slalom-wise - how pleasing was it for you to earn a podium in France?

“It was the ******* best (laughing). I can tell you know I had some difficult talks with my sponsors after that year because I was doing so well in Foiling - almost becoming world champion - but then completely blowing it in the Slalom, so there were some contradictory views on how my career would develop over the next few years, but I’m happy that I stood my ground and told them that I am doing what I’m doing. It just the best feeling ever to come back like this when someone is doubting you and make the podium. That felt pretty good!”

Thanks, Basti. Good luck heading into the final day.

All hopes are now pinned on tomorrow, which offers 8-12 knot south-southeast winds and much clearer skies, which could yet still allow further racing to be completed. The sailors will meet again for a final time tomorrow morning at 8:30am (GMT+8) with the action commencing from 9:30am onwards.

2be58a9329111b1bf401665bd2eedd8c.png

Forecast heading into the final day

*After 6 Eliminations

5th Helle Oppedal (DEN - Fanatic / Duotone)

*After 3 Eliminations

1st Pierre Mortefon (FRA - Fanatic / Duotone / LOKEFOIL)

2nd Sebastian Kördel (GER - Starboard / GA Sails / Starboard Foil)

3rd Alexandre Cousin (FRA - Patrik / Phantom Sails / Phantom Foils)

4th Sebastian Kornum (DEN - JP / NeilPryde)

5th Nicolas Goyard (FRA - Tabou / GA Sails / Phantom Foils)

7th Matteo Iachino (ITA - Starboard / Severne / Shamal Sunglasses / Starboard Foil)

8th Mateus Isaac (BRA - JP / NeilPryde)

9th Nicolas Prien (GER - JP / NeilPryde)

10th Thomas Goyard (FRA - FMX Racing / Phantom Sails / Phantom Foils)

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Die Zusammenfassung des Events:

The 2019 Fly! ANA Yokosuka PWA World Cup saw 3 eliminations of Foiling for the Men and 7 eliminations for the women completed in 3-11 knots of wind, which meant that well-timed starts and solid race tactics were needed to succeed, while any mistakes were severely punished. Ultimately, Delphine Cousin Questel (Starboard / S2Maui / Starboard Foil) and Pierre Mortefon (Fanatic / Duotone / LOKEFOIL) maintain their perfect starts to the season after following up their respective victories in France by securing the top spots on the podium in Japan - meaning they both lead the Men’s & Women’s Foil & Slalom PWA World Tours.

Foil

Women’s

Delphine Cousin Questel (Starboard / S2Maui / Starboard Foil) ends the week with a perfect score of 3.5 points to emphatically claim the first ever women’s foil event victory. The 3-time Slalom PWA World Champion recorded 5 victories from the 7 eliminations completed while finishing second in the other two races as she barely put a foot wrong over the course of the 6 days.

JP19_fl_Emphatic_victory_for_Delphine.jpg

Delphine Cousin Questel celebrates

Delphine Cousin Questel after winning the first ever Women’s Foil PWA World Cup: “I’m super happy to win the first event. Before coming to Japan I wasn’t 100% sure about the level of all the other girls, so even though I’d already sailed with Marina [Alabau] and Blanca [Alabau] and knew that they had a good level it’s always hard to know where everyone is at after the winter.

Overall I’m very happy about my sailing this week and it’s been very exciting racing for me with a lot of close battles. I like this new discipline - foiling - and now I hope for good racing conditions in South Korea too.”

JP19_ls_Delphine_takes_the_victory.jpg

First ever Women's Foil Podium - Marina Alabau, Delphine Cousin Questel, Marion Mortefon (left to right)

There was plenty of interest coming into the first ever women’s foil event - particularly with foil specialists - Marina Alabau (Starboard / Severne / Starboard Foil) and Blanca Alabau (Starboard / Severne / Starboard Foil) lining up against the rest of the PWA fleet. However, after a very even first day, which saw Marina Alabau tied on points with Cousin Questel, the 2012 Olympic Champion couldn’t land another telling blow and walks away with second place here.

JP19_fl_Marina_heads_in.jpg

Marina Alabau

Marion Mortefon (Fanatic / Duotone / LOKEFOIL) sailed extremely consistently throughout to deservedly earn the final place on the podium. Over the 7 eliminations completed Mortefon recorded results of:

2x 2nd

4x 3rd

1x 4th

JP19_fl_Pierre_and_Marion.jpg

More success for Pierre and Marion Mortefon

Meanwhile, Blanca Alabau finishes 4th ahead of 17-year-old Helle Oppedal (Fanatic / Duotone).

JP19_fl_Blanca_Alabau.jpg

Blanca Alabau on the start

Men’s

Coming into the new season - Pierre Mortefon’s (Fanatic / Duotone / LOKEFOIL) - best result in foiling was 6th, however, after a winter of hard work and development the Frenchman records his first victory in this relatively new discipline - meaning that there have now been 5 different winners from the last 5 foil events. Mortefon’s start to the season couldn’t have been any better and he walks away from Japan leading both the Slalom and Foil PWA World Tours heading into South Korea has won the opening Slalom event of the year in Marignane last month.

JP19_ls_Lokefoil_moment_for_Pierre.jpg

Pierre Mortefon

Pierre Mortefon, who has now won the last 3 racing events on the PWA World Tour - Slalom Sylt 2018, Slalom Marignane, Foiling Japan: “It’s pretty insane to have won the last 3 events - it’s pretty amazing. I wasn’t expecting this - especially in the Foil, but I worked a lot this winter with all my partners on the board, sail and foil and I think we have managed to develop a super good combo that is working well together.

For the whole week, I’ve just been trying to sail without making things too complicated by not taking too much risk on the start and the reaches etc. Overall I think that paid off and I’m really happy about this. Now leading in Slalom and Foil is going to make things tricky in the next events, but I’m super happy about this!”

JP19_ls_Victory_for_Mortefon.jpg

Pierre Mortefon continues his winning streak

Like Mortefon, Sebastian Kördel (Starboard / GA Sails / Starboard Foil), has also made a flying start to the season as the German follows up a podium in Marignane with a podium here in Japan with a second place as the current vice-world champion looks to go one better this time around.

JP19_ls_Sebastian_Kordel_takes_2nd.jpg

Sebastian Kördel

Alexandre Cousin (Patrik / Phantom Sails / Phantom Foils) finished last year ranked 4th overall and the Frenchman makes an excellent start to the season here with a 3rd place, which means he has now earned back-to-back podiums in the Foil having finished 3rd last year in Sylt also.

JP19_ls_Great_results_for_the_Cousins.jpg

The Cousin's celebrate - Alex and Delphine

Cousin is one of the sailors who could’ve majorly benefitted from the completion of the 4th elimination, but unfortunately the wind on the final day didn’t quite play ball. The sailor that will be most disappointed about not gaining the discard though is Thomas Goyard (FMX Racing / Phantom Sails / Phantom Foils), who won elimination 2 and 3, but was counting a 32nd from the first race after a premature start. The Frenchman looked in the kind of form needed to also win Elimination 4 having won the semifinal, even after falling at one of the gybes, but pays the ultimate price for that mistake in the opening race and has to settle for 10th place.

JP19_fl_Goyard_cruising.jpg

A close call for Thomas Goyard

Fellow RSX man Kiran Badloe (Starboard / Severne / Starboard Foil) will also be left to rue his false start in Elimination 3, which saw him lose the event lead and drop to 12th place.

JP19_fl_Kiran_Badloe_crusing.jpg

Kiran Badloe

Denmark’s Sebastian Kornum starts the season with his best result since September 2017 - 4th - while the top ten is completed by Nicolas Goyard (Tabou / GA Sails / Phantom Foils), who won one elimination - 5th - Amado Vrieswijk (JP / Severne) - 6th - Matteo Iachino (Starboard / Severne / Shamal Sunglasses / Starboard Foil) - 7th - Mateus Isaac (JP / NeilPryde) - 8th - and Nicolas Prien (JP / NeilPryde) in 9th.

JP19_fl_Sebastian_Kordel.jpg

Sebastian Kornum

Four of last year’s overall top 10 miss out on a place in the top 10 at the event of the season - most notably reigning world champion - Gonzalo Costa Hoevel (Starboard / Severne / Starboard Foil), who finishes in a lowly 17th, while last year’s world No.3 - Antoine Albeau (JP / NeilPryde) - also misses out as do Julian Bontemps (JP / NeilPryde) and Antoine Questel (I-99 / S2Maui / Starboard Foil).

Unfortunately, this time around it was not possible to gain a result in either the Men’s or Women’s Slalom.

The PWA would like to extend their thanks to the organisers, local staff, volunteers and all the locals for all of their hard work and amazing hospitality - we look forward to returning in 2020.

Where’s Next on the PWA World Tour?

In just a few days time we’ll be coming to you live from South Korea for the 2019 Ulsan PWA World Cup which runs between 18th-23rd May and will see the next installment of the Men’s and Women’s Slalom as well as the second stage of the Women’s Foil.

For a recap of all the developments from Japan — including the live stream, elimination ladders, entry list, images, and live ticker simply click HERE and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Result 2019 Fly! ANA Yokosuka PWA World Cup - Women’s Foil

5th Helle Oppedal (NOR - Fanatic / Duotone)

Result 2019 Fly! ANA Yokosuka PWA World Cup - Men’s Foil

1st Pierre Mortefon (FRA - Fanatic / Duotone / LOKEFOIL)

2nd Sebastian Kördel (GER - Starboard / GA Sails / Starboard Foil)

3rd Alexandre Cousin (FRA - Patrik / Phantom Sails / Phantom Foils)

4th Sebastian Kornum (DEN - JP / NeilPryde)

5th Nicolas Goyard (FRA - Tabou / GA Sails / Phantom Foils)

7th Matteo Iachino (ITA - Starboard / Severne / Shamal Sunglasses / Starboard Foil)

8th Mateus Isaac (BRA - JP / NeilPryde)

9th Nicolas Prien (GER - JP / NeilPryde)

10th Thomas Goyard (FRA - FMX Racing / Phantom Sails / Phantom Foils)

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.