2019 Marignane PWA World Cup

• France

With a new addition to the calendar for 2019 the PWA Slalom World Tour will return to the French Mediterranean for the first time in just over two decades between 17th-22nd April for the Marignane PWA World Cup, which will see the world’s fastest sailors battling it out for those crucial early season points.

Marignane itself is located in between Marseille - the second largest city in France - and Aix-en-Provence, a place well-known for its colourful markets and delicious French delicacies. The region is renowned not only in the windsurfing world, but also the sailing world with Marseille hosting the 2024 Olympic Games nautical disciplines. Marignane is a windy wonderland and at this time of the year there can be a huge variety of conditions from 9.0m all the way down to 5.5m nuclear winds combined with chop to test even the bests mettle, so the men and women are going to have to be ready for whatever Marignane decides to throw at them!

22f064deae2109d8e7535f86da1bbec7.jpeg

Delphine Cousin Questel in Marignane during French National Event

Ones To Watch

Slalom

Women’s

3-time world champion - Delphine Cousin Questel (Starboard / S2Maui) - will start the season as the clear favourite for the opening event of the 2019 season. During 2018 the 27-year-old completed a clean sweep of event victories - winning in Japan, South Korea & Portugal - to claim a thoroughly deserved 3rd world title. Cousin Questel has now won the last 4 world tour events and you wouldn’t bet against her extending that winning run. The reigning world champion is familiar with the conditions in Marignane and openly admits that she loves it when its extremely windy, choppy and technical, and those are exactly the kind of conditions we could well see in Marignane.

318afe96b7.jpg

Delphine Cousin Questel

Having suffered a lisfranc fracture last summer, and then experiencing a few setbacks with her recovery, it looked as though the opening event of the year would come a little too soon for vice-world champion - Lena Erdil (Starboard / Point-7 / AL360 / Chopper Fins), however, the Turk is set to dig deep and fast forward her return to appear in France. How hard she’ll be able to push and whether she’ll be a genuine contender for the podium, as the 30-year-old usually is, remains to be seen.

ecf206504c.jpg

Lena Erdil

The next contender will be - Marion Mortefon (Fanatic / Duotone) - who has finished 3rd overall for the last two seasons and will be hoping to make home advantage count. Also in contention will be 2017 Youth World Champion - Maëlle Guilbaud (Patrik / Loftsails) - who finished 4th overall in 2018 and Esther de Geus - 5th overall in 2018.

0f66e7da72.jpg

Marion Mortefon

The young and talented - Lilou Granier (Starboard / Severne) - should also be a threat. The 18-year-old finished 13th overall last year, but missed one event in the middle of the season due to her studies which heavily affected her overall ranking . Granier recorded a 4th in Japan followed by a 6th in Portugal and with another winter of training under her belt she could be even more of a threat.

09a16c6026.jpg

Lilou Granier

Elsewhere, keep an eye out for the likes of Jenna Gibson (Fanatic / Duotone), who won one elimination in South Korea last season and finished 6th overall in 2018 and former Youth World Champion - Fulya Ünlü (Starboard / Point-7), who has plenty of potential to challenge for the podium if everything clicks into place.

0b26f7e0a3.jpg

Jenna Gibson

Men’s

Antoine Albeau (JP / NeilPryde) will start the season as the narrow favourite having claimed an incredible 25th world title in 2018 season. However, there will not be much separating AA from vice-world champion - Matteo Iachino (Starboard / Severne / Shamal Sunglasses) - who led the title race for much of the last - and Pierre Mortefon (Fanatic / Duotone / Chopper Fins) - who is not only familiar with spot in Marginane, but also returned to winning ways for the first time since 2016 by winning the final event of the year in Sylt. As stats show the ‘Big Top 3’ have dominated Slalom in recent years:

- 2018 - won 5 out of 6 events between them

- 2017 - Won 4 out of 6 events between them

- 2016 - Won 5 out of 5 events between them

- 2015 - Won 6 out of 6 events between them

So, since 2015 Albeau, Iachino & Mortefon have won 20 out of the last 23 world tour events or 86.9% between them, which makes them extremely difficult to oppose.

052bcf0238.jpg

The Big Top 3 - Matteo Iachino, Antoine Albeau & Pierre Mortefon (left to right)

However, there will be plenty of rivals waiting in the wings to take their shot at the top 3 and hopefully the top spot on the podium at the opening event of the year as well.

Jordy Vonk (Fanatic / Duotone) will be hoping to continue the progress he made in 2018, which saw the flying Dutchman not only break into the overall top 10 for the first time, but also the top 4. Vonk has just the one podium finish to date - Japan 2017 - but with another winter of training under his belt he could be even better equipped to attack the top 3.

8244ba6787.jpg

Jordy Vonk

In the past 4 years - Julien Quentel (Patrik / Gun Sails) - is one of just 3 other sailors aside from Albeau, Iachino & Mortefon to have won an event on the world tour - Japan 2017 - and the 32-year-old undoubtedly has the talent to challenge for top honours. Quentel finished 5th overall in 2018 - tied on points with Vonk - and if his starting is a little bit sharper at the business end of eliminations he could well be a genuine threat for the title.

d0f4d35af0.jpg

Julien Quentel

Ross Williams (Tabou / GA Sails / Shamal Sunglasses) has been in and around the top 3 for the last 3 or 4 seasons - securing numerous podiums during that time. Last year the Brit may have failed to earn a podium and endured a tough middle of the season, but towards the end of the season the Brit looked as though he was back in tune with his gear and made a strong finish to the season with a 5th and 4th in Fuerte and Sylt. If Williams can pick up where he left off then he certainly has the skillset to throw together a challenger for the title.

a2041f03b1.jpg

Ross Williams

Pascal Toselli (JP / Loftsails / Chopper Fins) was in the hunt for the title during the early part of last season - particularly after a 2nd place in Costa Brava - however, the Frenchman saw his challenge slip away in the final two events and eventually finished 7th overall. If Toselli can recapture the form that he showed in the early part of last season - and sustain it - he too is someone who could feature.

d79cc449fa.jpg

Pascal Toselli

2014 vice-world champion - Cyril Moussilmani (RRD / RRD Sails) - returned to the overall top 10 for the first time since 2015 last year - securing 8th place. The Frenchman is now a fully fledged RRD sailor having left Severne Sails after several seasons together and if he can pick up where he left off at the end of last year - 4th in Sylt - Moussilmani could potentially be in the hunt for the title again after a few quiet years.

5d5dd4240c.jpg

Cyril Moussilmani

Mateus Isaac (JP / NeilPryde) and Tristan Algret (Starboard / Severne / Chopper Fins) completed the overall top 10 in 2018 and will be challenging for the top 10 again, but they may both made need another season or two to challenge at the very top.

44739c606e.jpg

Mateus Isaac

Besides Julien Quentel - Marco Lang (Fanatic / Duotone) & Finian Maynard (FMX-Racing) are the two other names to have stood at the top of the podium since 2015. Lang won both eliminations at the 2017 Sylt PWA Super Grand Slam and finished 7th overall, but was then plagued with a mystery virus last year, which eventually forced his early retirement from the 2018 calendar in Fuerteventura. Now, after months of recovery and rehabilitation it seems Lang is ready to return. The question is can he do so with a bang?

47a7933159.jpg

Marco Lang

Maynard, meanwhile, won the 2018 Costa Brava PWA World Cup and was supposed retire last year, but has since started his own board brand - FMX Racing - and will be hoping that he and Maciek Rutkowski (FMX Racing / Challenger Sails) can give his new brand a bright start.

Maynard is not the only sailor to have started his own board brand over the winter with Arnon Dagan (Future Fly / NeilPryde) also starting a new venture with Future Fly. The Israeli and Taty Frans (Future Fly / Point-7) will head up the brand to start the season. Dagan will be aiming to reclaim his place in the overall top 10 having finished 16th in 2018. Meanwhile, Frans will be hoping he can recapture the form which saw him finish 6th in 2016.

Elsewhere, keep an eye on the youthful talents of Basile Jacquin (I-99 / Point-7), who earned his first top 10 finish in Sylt last year, and Ethan Westera (Tabou / GA Sails), who continues his comeback after suffering a serious injury in 2017.

24a7959d28.jpg

Basile Jacquin

There are plenty of other names who could feature in the battle for the top 10 too such as Ben van der Steen (Goya Windsurfing / Gun Sails), Cedric Bordes (Tabou / GA Sails), Antoine Questel (Starboard / S2Maui), Andrea Cucchi (Starboard / Point-7) and Vincent Langer (Fanatic/ Duotone), who finished on the podium in Sylt in 2017, to just name a few.

63d0481151.jpg

Cedric Bordes

The opening day of the contest currently looks like the wind will remain light, but both Thursday and Friday both hold plenty of potential for the opening races on the 2019 calendar to be complete. Make sure you stay tuned to www.pwaworldtour.combetween 17th-22nd April to follow everything from the Marignane PWA World Cup live.

78cc4eb4b9e7e8e92701afae07af871d.png

Marignane forecast

Schedule For Day 1: All Times (GMT+2)

Skippers’ Meeting: 12:30pm

First Possible Start: 1:00pm

To stay up to date with all the latest developments from France — including the live stream, elimination ladders, entry list, images, and live ticker simply click HERE and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Also if you don’t already, follow us on our Social Media Channels:

- Facebook:@PWAWorldTourWindsurfing

- Instagram: @pwaworldtour

- Twitter: @pwaworldtour

Recap Overall Rankings 2018 PWA World Tour - Women’s Slalom

1st Delphine Cousin Questel (FRA - Starboard / S2Maui)

2nd Lena Erdil (TUR - Starboard / Point-7 / AL360 / Chopper Fins)

3rd Marion Mortefon (FRA - Fanatic / Duotone)

4th Maëlle Guilbaud (FRA - Patrik / Loftsails)

5th Esther de Geus (NED - Fanatic / Duotone)

Recap Overall Rankings 2018 PWA World Tour - Men’s Slalom

1st Antoine Albeau (FRA - JP / NeilPryde)

2nd Matteo Iachino (ITA - Starboard / Severne / Shamal Sunglasses)

3rd Pierre Mortefon (FRA - Fanatic / Duotone / Chopper Fins)

4th Jordy Vonk (NED - Fanatic / Duotone)

5th Julien Quentel (SXM - Patrik / Gun Sails)

6th Ross Williams (ENG - Tabou / GA Sails / Shamal Sunglasses)

7th Pascal Toselli (FRA - JP / Loftsails / Chopper Fins)

8th Cyril Moussilmani (FRA - RRD / RRD Sails)

9th Mateus Isaac (BRA - JP / NeilPryde)

10th Tristan Algret (GPE - Starboard / Severne / Chopper Fins)

Dieser Text wurde nach alter, neuer und eigener Rechtschreibung geschrieben und ist daher fehlerfrei!
    Tipp Weltmeister F1 2011 & 2013, Tipp Team-Weltmeister F1 2009, 2010, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021!

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Das ist ja cool ... bin ja ab Donnerstag auch da unten (mein Thread „Windsurfen und Kiten an Ostern ...)

Ich versuche schon Mi über Nacht zu fahren, um am Donnertag Nachmittag noch surfen zu können.

• Ich habe das nicht immer selbst in der Hand. Die PWA z.B. sendet mir täglich am Abend des Events diese Berichte und die sind so vorbereitet.

Andere machen das nicht so (oder schicken mir meist gleich gar nichts).

Das Problem ist folgendes:

Teilweise sind die Bilder verlinkt (wie hier bei der PWA) und damit letztlich auch nicht dauerhaft erhalten, oder es muss die jemand manuell hochladen.

Und da kommen wir zum zweiten Problem: Diese Kack-Software vom Forum verkleinert die Bilder nicht beim Upload auf ein eingestelltes Maß. Das kann jede kostenlose Software, auch jeder Shop, aber der Anbieter unserer Software (welche noch zudem sauteuer ist), bekommt das seit Jahren nicht hin und obschon die wahrscheinlich inzwischen der größte Anbieter sind, gibt es offenbar nicht genügend Druck und Bedarf der ganzen Forenbetreiber. Unfassbar...

Ich hatte aber aus Sicherheitsgründen wegen der zunehmenden Größe des Forums keine Alternative.

Dieser Text wurde nach alter, neuer und eigener Rechtschreibung geschrieben und ist daher fehlerfrei!
    Tipp Weltmeister F1 2011 & 2013, Tipp Team-Weltmeister F1 2009, 2010, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021!

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Das war Tag 1:

The opening day of the 2019 Marignane PWA World Cup saw the sailors receive a warm welcome upon arrival, but unfortunately the racing remained on hold with the wind teetering on the edge for much of the afternoon. That meant that several sailors ventured out on to the water to tune up a little bit ahead of tomorrow’s expected wind.

ma19_ls-registration_pwa-crew.jpg

Registration

29 girls have signed up for the women’s contest, which is one of the biggest fleets in recent years, while there is a full 64-man fleet in the men’s division. With the wind remaining light the sailors were eventually released shortly after 5pm.

Earlier in the day we caught up with Finian Maynard (FMX Racing), who has started a new venture by creating his own board brand - FMX Racing - to find out more about his new project:

cf8d85887d4ff2fcebc978bcbb8ac095.jpeg

Finian Maynard with his new FMX Racing machines

Hi Finian, firstly can you tell us a little bit more about FMX Racing? The philosophy and idea behind the company? And what FMX stands for…

FM: “FMX is my name - Finian Maynard - and X as in X-Factor. I like the way it rhymes together. The racing part, well I’ve always loved Formula 1 and I’ve always loved the idea of a racing team, so it just felt right and good to create FMX Racing.

The brand itself is based in Tarifa and I’m very happy about all the possibilities that the southern tip of Spain brings in terms of testing and year round development.”

You obviously have a wealth of experience when it comes to both racing at the highest level and heading up the R&D for several other brands - why did you decide now to setup your own brand?

FM: “I’ve worked for a lot of brands over the years and it just felt like now is the right time and the right stage of my career to pursue FMX Racing and gain independence. I wanted the opportunity to take flight with my own wings - that would be the easiest way to describe it.”

What will FMX Racing bring to the market?

FM: “I like to think that I can bring that personal touch to the product and make sure that each and every master is personally checked and tested. I can also bring many years of technical experience to the table, which I have gained from a lot of competitions over 26 PWA seasons and also from working together with great shapers and designers in that same timespan. I feel that I can bring a new dimension to the design, development and construction process to produce a cutting edge and state-of-the-art product.”

Will you just be producing Slalom/Foil boards or will you also be developing a line for Freeride, Wave, Freestyle?

FM: “For now, the brand is producing Slalom and Foil Race boards, but in 2020 we’ll be expanding into Freeride/Freeride Foil, but moving forwards into 2021, and beyond, everything remains open as I’m not going to restrict the brand possibilities, but I think the main focus will remain on the flat water collection.”

You have chosen to pair up with Maciek Rutkowski (FMX Racing / Challenger Sails), who you worked with at I-99, why did you want to bring Maciek on to your team?

FM: “Maciek has proven over the last few years that he has the top level talent in both Slalom and Foil. I find him intelligent to work with and he provides in-depth and useful feedback. I think he has a great work ethic and you can tell that he really wants that break out season, so it felt like a logical step.

Also since yesterday, we have added Thomas Goyard (FMX Racing / Phantom) to the team, so we are basically two guys competing in Foil and two guys competing in Slalom.”

What are the aspirations for FMX Racing over the coming years?

FM: “To build high-quality products, built the right way using only high-quality materials and in a way that the customer will understand that it's an exclusive brand that is going to have an edge to it in terms of performance and durability.”

Where and when will FMX Racing boards be available for the public to buy?

FM: “We have been busy setting up a distribution network already and the boards have been available to buy in Holland and Germany for quite some time already. Other countries have signed on and will be announced in due course once everything is in place.”

Where are you producing your boards?

FM: “The brand is producing the boards at Kinetic, which is in Vietnam. So far I’m very happy with the work that they have done and I’m working with them closely all the time to continually improve and produce the highest quality products possible.”

Personally for you what is your plan in terms of racing this year? And do you have a goal for the coming season?

FM: “The plan is to compete for the whole season up until Sylt and then I still have to decide about New Caledonia. In terms of a goal, well, honestly I just want to enjoy it, maximise and optimise my results in the best way possible.”

Anything else you’d like to add about FMX Racing?

FM: “Just to say thanks to all the people who have believed in me and supported the project so far and that I’m really looking forward to building the brand in the next years - it looks positive.”

Thanks, Finian. Good luck for the rest of this week and for the future with your new venture.

You can find out more about FMX Racing - including where to buy via their website @ https://www.fmxracing.com/

You can also follow FMX Racing via Instagram: @fmxracing

The forecast for tomorrow brings plenty of promise with 18-25 knot southeasterly winds currently predicted for the second day of the Marignane PWA World Cup. The sailors will meet again tomorrow morning at 10am for the skippers’ meeting with racing commencing from 11am (GMT+2) onwards.

To stay up to date with all the latest developments from France — including the live stream, elimination ladders, entry list, images, and live ticker simply click HERE and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Recap Overall Rankings 2018 PWA World Tour - Women’s Slalom

2nd Lena Erdil (TUR - Starboard / Point-7 / AL360 / Chopper Fins)

3rd Marion Mortefon (FRA - Fanatic / Duotone)

5th Esther de Geus (NED - Fanatic / Duotone)

Recap Overall Rankings 2018 PWA World Tour - Men’s Slalom

1st Antoine Albeau (FRA - JP / NeilPryde)

2nd Matteo Iachino (ITA - Starboard / Severne / Shamal Sunglasses)

3rd Pierre Mortefon (FRA - Fanatic / Duotone / Chopper Fins)

5th Julien Quentel (SXM - Patrik / Gun Sails)

6th Ross Williams (ENG - Tabou / GA Sails / Shamal Sunglasses)

7th Pascal Toselli (FRA - JP / Loftsails / Chopper Fins)

8th Cyril Moussilmani (FRA - RRD / RRD Sails)

10th Tristan Algret (GPE - Starboard / Severne / Chopper Fins)

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Das war Tag 2:

The second day of the 2019 Marignane PWA World Cup saw the opening eliminations of the season begin, but it was anything but plain sailing with marginal winds, fluctuating between 7-17 knots, making equipment selection and racing in general quite tough. While there may have only been a couple of hours of racing today there were plenty of upsets and talking points by the end of the afternoon…

ma19_sl_day2_edril-line.jpg

Lena Erdil on the fly

Slalom

Women’s

After a couple of hours of racing the first round of the women’s opening elimination was completed and all of the top seeds survived unscathed to book their place in the semifinals.

In fact, with Mio Anayama (Starboard / S2Maui), who finished 9th overall last year, absent here in France, Jenna Gibson (Fanatic / Duotone) was the only member of last year’s top 10, 6th overall in 2018, who failed to progress into the semifinals. The Brit was prominently placed in Heat 10 but dropped her opening gybe to miss out.

Reigning world champion - Delphine Cousin Questel (Starboard / S2Maui), cruised through her opening heat, while vice-world champion - Lena Erdil (Starboard / Point-7 / AL360 / Chopper Fins), who is making her first appearance since breaking her foot last summer, also made a winning return in Heat 2. Meanwhile, last year’s world No.3 - Marion Mortefon (Fanatic / Duotone) - also made no mistakes in the opening heat of the day to progress.

ma19_sl_day2_delphine_cousin_gybe.jpg

Delphine Cousin Questel cruises into the semifinals

Men’s

In the men’s opening elimination only the first 10 heats were completed before the wind shut down for the day, but during the course of those 10 heats, there were a number of upsets and talking points.

In the first quarterfinal there was drama at the first mark as Enrico Marotti (JP / NeilPryde) appeared to sail directly into Maciek Rutkowski (FMX Racing), ending both of their hopes there and then. Elsewhere, last year’s world No.6 Ross Williams (Tabou / GA Sails / Shamal Windsurfing) was also eliminated in 5th place as Finian Maynard (FMX Racing), 20-year-old Basile Jacquin (I-99 / Point-7), Gunnar Asmussen (Starboard / Severne) and Pierre Mortefon (Fanatic / Duotone / Chopper Fins) all progressed into the semifinals.

ma19_sl_crash_gybe.jpg

Enrico Marotti & Maciek Rutkowski collide

There was further drama on the run up to the start of the second quarterfinal - Heat 10 - as Pascal Toselli (JP / Loftsails / Chopper Fins) was involved in an altercation with Sebastian Kördel (Starboard / GA Sails), which resulted in the Frenchman falling and missing the entire heat. However, despite Toselli’s protests of dangerous sailing against Kördel, ultimately it was deemed a racing incident that required no further action and to rub further salt into the wound, Kördel would go on to qualify in 3rd place behind Nicolas Goyard (Tabou / GA Sails) and Marco Lang (Fanatic / Duotone), while 4th place was secured by Malte Reuscher (Tabou / GA Sails).

Lang, meanwhile, who was making his first appearance since being forced to retire early last year in Fuerteventura made a winning return, despite breaking his elbow in the buildup to the event. The Austrian won both his second round heat and the quarterfinal to progress into the top 16 and looks as though he could be back to his best, and more importantly full fitness, after a long battle with a mystery virus.

Heat 10 also involved vice-world champion - Matteo Iachino (Starboard / Severne / Shamal Sunglasses) - who suffered a shock quarterfinal exit in the opening elimination of the year. The Italian rarely complains about racing situations, but was clearly disgruntled that the second quarterfinal was allowed to stand as the 2016 world champion felt that the wind had dropped below the minimum threshold - Tristan Algret (Starboard / Severne / Chopper Fins) and Andrea Ferin (I-99 / Challenger Sails / AL360), who missed out in 5th and 6th respectively, were also of the same opinion.

ma19_sl_algret_gybe.jpg

Matteo Iachino and Tristan Algret

The third quarterfinal did begin, but was cancelled shortly after the first gybe with the wind dropping. The sailors then remained on hold until 6:30pm, but with the wind showing no signs of improving they were released for the day.

There are contrasting forecasts for tomorrow with the latest WindGuru model predicting moderate to strong east-south-east to southeasterly winds for much of the day, while Windy forecasts only light to moderate winds - we will find out which one is correct tomorrow, but hopefully, it is the former. The skippers’ meeting has been called for 9am tomorrow morning with the racing commencing from 10am (GMT+2) - depending on the conditions.

To stay up to date with all the latest developments from Marignane — including the live stream, elimination ladders, entry list, images, and live ticker simply click HERE and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Nix an Tag 3:

There were two contrasting forecasts for the third day of the 2019 Marignane PWA World Cup and unfortunately the model predicting less wind was the correct one. On several occasions the wind did appear as though it would kick in, but those periods of wind proved too brief to allow any further racing to be completed.

While the wind remained light several sailors sneaked out on to the water for a bit of testing, while visitors to the event were able to bask in the warm sunshine.

ma19_sl_albeau_jump.jpg

Antoine Albeau

Looking Ahead

Saturday looks as though the wind will remain light, however, the forecasts for the prior days haven’t materialised so anything could still happen. On a more positive note both Sunday and Monday now offer potential for wind.

3ac3f30cf0b3ace9e0bad26ed6827785.png

The sailors remained on hold until 6:30pm, but with the wind showing no signs of improvement they were released for the day. The men’s and women’s fleet will meet again at 10am tomorrow morning for the skippers’ meeting with the racing commencing from 11am (GMT+2) onwards - if conditions allow.

To stay up to date with all the latest developments from Marignane — including the live stream, elimination ladders, entry list, images, and live ticker simply click HERE and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Ja, schade mit dem Wind.

Ich war Donnerstag in St. Marie de la Mer, da war auch weniger Wind als angesagt. Bin dann rüber gefahren, an Marseille vorbei,

da war überall viel Wind und Hack auf dem Wasser, dachte, da geht es jetzt ab in Marignane ... da kam der Wind aber wohl einfach
    aus der falschen Richtung. Bin dann nach Hyères und da war es absolut top Freitag und Samstag, musste leider heut Nacht heimfahren.

• Das war Tag 4:

The wind teased the competitors for much of Day 4, but unfortunately despite several hours of effort only a further two heats were able to be completed in the men’s first elimination. There were short periods of wind, but with the breeze continuing to blow offshore the wind remained very patchy, which made racing tricky to say the least.

ma19_LS_ola_towin.jpg

The crowds enjoy a bit of tow-in

Slalom

Men’s

During the morning the 3rd men’s quarterfinal - Heat 11 - was completed at the third time of asking, having been cancelled for the first time on Day 2. Cedric Bordes (Tabou / GA Sails) and Valentin Brault (Simmer / Simmer Sails / Chopper Fins) were then disqualified from the rerun after jumping the gun, which left only 6 sailors vying for the top 4 positions. Jordy Vonk (Fanatic / Duotone) looked confident as he led from start to finish to book his place in the semifinal, while he was joined by Julien Quentel (Patrik / Gun Sails), Amado Vrieswijk (JP / Severne), who produced an excellent gybe at the first to leapfrog Antoine Questel (I-99 / S2Maui), while Sebastian Kornum (JP / NeilPryde) grabbed the final qualifying place. The Dane did well to overtake Questel heading to the third buoy and with the Frenchman under pressure he dropped his gybe allowing Kornum plenty of breathing room over the remainder of the course.

ma19_sl_day4_vonk_gybe.jpg

Jordy Vonk prepares to gybe

It was also a case of third time lucky for Heat 12. Andrea Rosati (RRD / RRD Sails) and Mateus Isaac (JP / NeilPryde) both had to slam on the breaks before the start to avoid going over early and that left Rosati with no way back.

ma19_sl_day4_breaking_bad_quarter_final.jpg

Andrea Rosati slams on the breaks

However, Isaac produced a brilliant comeback as he secured 4th place after Damian Arnoux (Simmer / Simmer Sails) clipped Arnon Dagan (Future Fly / NeilPryde) at the first gybe, which cost the Israeli a place in the next round. Bruno Martini (I-99 / Challenger Sails) claimed a clear cut victory to book his place in the top 16 as did Ethan Westera (Tabou / GA Sails) and reigning world champion - Antoine Albeau (JP / NeilPryde).

ma19_sl_day4_martini_querter_final.jpg

Bruno Martini

The wind then dropped again and despite waiting until 7pm it never returned. Tomorrow morning offers the chance of moderate offshore winds again, so the sailors will meet again at 8:30am for the skippers’ meeting with the racing commencing from 9:30am (GMT+2) onwards - if conditions allow.

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Tag 5:

The waiting game continued on the penultimate day of the 2019 Marignane PWA World Cup as the light winds continued. A squall shortly after 1:45pm caused a flurry of action on the beach with the wind quickly picking up to 30 knots, but unfortunately the wind did not stick around for long.

ma19_LS_sun_set_flags.jpg

The sunsets on the penultimate day in marignane

During the afternoon Taty Frans (Future Fly / Point-7), Adam Sims (Patrik / Sailloft Hamburg) and Diony Guadagnino (AHD / Loftsails) put on a tow-in Freestyle show to entertain the crowds.

ma19_fs_frans_towin_showman.jpg

Taty Frans entertaining the crowds

During the afternoon we caught up with Bruno Martini (I-99 / Challenger Sails), who booked his place in the semi-finals yesterday after winning his quarterfinal ahead of Ethan Westera (Tabou / GA Sails), Antoine Albeau (JP / NeilPryde) and Mateus Isaac (JP / NeilPryde).

ma19_sl_day4_martini_querter_final.jpg

Bruno Martini

Hi Bruno, how was your winter training?

“My training was really good. I spent 2 months in Tenerife where the training level was really high. We trained in both flat and choppy water and I feel like I improved a lot. I feel better and confident on my equipment - no matter whether it’s light or really strong wind."

Yesterday you won your quarterfinal - how happy were you with your performance?

"I’m really happy about that actually because it’s the beginning of the season and it’s nice to start in a good way being in the semifinals. The conditions were tricky, so it was not easy to race yesterday and it’s easy to get a bad result in one second, but on the flip side you can gain a really good result also."

There's been a lot of waiting around for wind this week - how do you stay relaxed, but also focused for racing?

“I’ve been thinking about this a lot when I was training and the problem is not gybing, starting or racing, but it’s actually about how I can use less energy at events and be able to stay focused when I need to. Now, I’m just trying to switch off my mind at certain times, relax and joke around a bit with some friends. I try to trust in the hours of training of put in and know that I am prepared to race. I just focus on myself and not what the others are doing. Then when the call is made that we are going to race I just try and switch my mind back on and focus on the job at hand.”

There's only one day left of the contest - you must be praying for wind now with a top 16 spot guaranteed in the first elimination?

“Yeah, this is a good question… personally I really hope that we can finish this elimination. I feel really good and feel like I can make it into the final and record a great result. On the other hand I know that this is only one elimination over one week and some guys will say that this doesn’t really count, but everything counts and we’ll see at the end of the season where I am. This is a marathon, not a sprint!”

Do you have an aim for the season?

“Not really, I just want to sail to the best of my ability and then we’ll see how it works out.”

Thanks, Bruno.

All the eggs are now in one basket with Monday offering the final roll of the dice to gain a result. The latest forecast models offer a chance to race late in the afternoon, but the wind is once again forecast to be offshore, which is the same as we’ve had for the whole week thus far. Hopefully, this time around it fills in. The sailors will meet for the skippers’ meeting at 8:30am tomorrow morning with the action commencing from 9:30am (GMT+2) - onwards.

ma19_ls_easter_eggs.jpg

Easter Sunday

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Und der letzte Tag 6:

The final day of the 2019 Marignane PWA World Cup provided another stern test of the crew and sailors patience, but eventually, their perseverance was rewarded as results were crucially gained in both the men’s and women’s fleets after a long day on the water. In fact with the wind being so inconsistent, it took 6 painstaking hours to complete just 8 heats. The end result will prove hugely popular with the home crowd thought with local heroes Delphine Cousin Questel (Starboard / S2Maui) and Pierre Mortefon (Fanatic / Duotone / Chopper Fins) taking the top spot on the podium in the first event of the year - giving them the early season title race lead heading into Asia.

ma19_sl_men_start_plane.jpg

On the plane on the final day!

Slalom

Women’s

Reigning world champion - Delphine Cousin Questel - led from start to finish in the winners’ final as she made the perfect start to the season. The 3-time world champion didn’t put a foot wrong during the event and deservedly walks away as the champion, which means she extends her winning run to 5 consecutive events and she could prove a hard woman to stop based on that performance.

Delphine Cousin Questel: “It was super difficult conditions with the wind being so gusty. I was either overpowered or underpowered. It was hard to be on the right gear. Just before the final, I switched equipment to 7.7m from 7.0 and I made a good start by the pin. I led into the first mark and then I just aimed to control it from the front. I’m super happy to win the first event of the season, it’s been a long and stressful week. It’s always hard to compete at an event with just one race, but it is what it is, I think we were extremely unlucky as every time I’ve been here it’s been super windy. I’m happy for the organiser that we managed to get results in the end and thanks to Delphine for making the event happen.”

ma19_sl_women_cousin_delphine_winner_final.jpg

All smiles for Delphine Cousin Questel

Marion Mortefon (Fanatic / Duotone) chased home Cousin Questel, but couldn’t land a telling blow, however, the 27-year-old will still be delighted to have equalled her best result since Turkey 2015 - 2nd - and is prominently placed going forwards.

ma19_sl_women_mortefon_marion_final_2nd.jpg

Marion Mortefon

Oda Johanne Brødholt (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins) has been tipped as a slightly dark horse for the last couple of seasons and those fruitions came to life today as the Norwegian, who finished 3rd in the Freestyle in Bonaire, claims her first Slalom podium here in Marignane after producing a fantastic performance to hold off both Maëlle Guilbaud (Patrik / Loftsails) and Lena Erdil (Starboard / Point-7 / AL360 / Chopper Fins), who finish 4th and 5th respectively. We’ll take a look at the full results on Wednesday in the event summary.

Men’s

Stick or Twist

Before the final, the sailors were presented with a gamble to either stick with what they had or gamble on the wind picking up as per the forecast. For those sailors who stuck - Antoine Albeau (JP / NeilPryde), Finian Maynard (FMX Racing) and Julien Quentel (Patrik / Gun Sails) - sticking on their big gear didn’t pay off as they became overpowered during the final with the wind picking up greatly. However, for Pierre Mortefon and Sebastian Kördel (Starboard / GA Sails), their gamble was rewarded with victory and a 3rd place with their greater control proving pivotal in the fight for the finish line.

Mortefon and Albeau (JP / NeilPryde) enjoyed a great fight in the winners’ final, which could finally be completed at the third time of asking. On the first attempt, Malte Reuscher (Tabou / GA Sails) was disqualified for a premature start, while Bruno Martini (I-99 / Challenger Sails) suffered the same fate on the next attempt with the sailors pushing the start knowing that this was the final to decide the overall event rankings.

It was Albeau who led around the first mark - a position from which he is rarely caught. However, with the wind picking up just before the start of the final AA was overpowered on his 8.6m, which presented Mortefon, who changed down just before the start of the final to 7.7m and medium board, with an opportunity to pounce and the two-time vice-world champion did just that as he produced a brilliant second gybe to move into the lead, which is one he wouldn’t relinquish as the 29-year-old powered away over the remainder of the course to make the perfect start to the season.

Pierre Mortefon: "I'm so, so happy. It's been a long week and a long day so it has not been easy to deal with the conditions. The PWA crew have done an amazing job - they made the right decisions at the right times. They pushed and we managed to get the result. It's a perfect start to the season with a victory in France - it can't get much better!”

ma19_sl_men_mortefon_pierre_finsih_line_winner_final.jpg

Fist pump for Pierre Mortefon

Albeau played it relatively safe over the rest of the course to make sure he didn’t jeopardise his second place, which is a solid start to the season, particularly after changing board sponsor late in the close season. However, now he knows he is competitive again he will be once again be pumped up for another title challenge as he bids for World title No.25.

ma19_sl_men_albeau_gybe.jpg

Antoine Albeau

The podium here in Marignane is completed by Sebastian Kördel (Starboard / GA Sails) with the German sailing brilliantly in the tricky conditions to earn his best Slalom result since September 2016. Kördel endured a tough season last year and will be delighted to have made such a positive start to the year.

ma19_sl_men_kordel_gybe_final.jpg

Sebastian Kördel

Last year’s World No.4 - Jordy Vonk (Fanatic / Duotone) - starts the season with a solid 4th place here in France, while Finian Maynard (FMX Racing) claims 5th ahead of Julien Quentel (Patrik / Gun Sails) - 6th - Bruno Martini - 7th - and Malte Reuscher - 8th. As with the women’s we’ll take a full look at the results in the event summary on Wednesday.

After a long hard day on the water the winners were then presented in front of the crowd at 6pm during the closing ceremony!

Result 2019 Marignane PWA World Cup - Women's Slalom

2nd Marion Mortefon (FRA - Fanatic / Duotone)

3rd Oda Brødholt (NOR - Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins)

5th Lena Erdil (TUR - Starboard / Point-7 / AL360 / Chopper Fins)

6th Esther de Geus (NED - Fanatic / Duotone)

7th Lilou Granier (FRA - Starboard / Phantom Sails)

8th Nimet Tulumen (TUR - Tabou / GA Sails)

Result 2019 Marignane PWA World Cup - Men's Slalom

1st Pierre Mortefon (FRA - Fanatic / Duotone / Chopper Fins)

2nd Antoine Albeau (FRA - JP / NeilPryde)

3rd Sebastian Koerdel (GER - Tabou / GA Sails)

5th Finian Maynard (KV - FMX Racing)

6th Quentel Julien (SXM - Patrik / Gun Sails)

7th Bruno Martini (ITA - I-99 / Challenger Sails)

8th Malte Reuscher (GER - Tabou / GA Sails)

10th Marco Lang (AUT - Fanatic / Duotone)

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Hyeres ist zwar „um die Ecke“, aber bei diesem Ostwind eine völlig andere Baustelle. Dort hat es über alle Ostertage

komplett mit 20 bis 40 Knoten durchgeblasen.

Bei anderen Winden ist Marignane (schätze ich) beständiger, aber das war jetzt einfach Pech.

Übrigens danke, ich hatte das Racing in Hyeres beobachtet, wusste aber nicht, was es genau war. Die sind auf der

Westseite gefahren, also ablandig, mit relativ wenig Welle, aber schon so 500 Meter draußen.

• Gratulation an den Seb Kördel GER-220 zum dritten Platz. Hier ist das Video des Finallaufs:

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

• Die Zusammenfassung:

The 2019 Marignane PWA World Cup proved to be a true test of patience and mental resolve for the world’s best sailors as they were forced to wait much of the week for the wind to finally play ball. Conditions remained tricky throughout with light winds in the early part of the week meaning that even the smallest of mistakes were punished, while on the final day fluctuating winds meant that having a caddy was crucial for success and even then selecting the correct gear was somewhat fortuitous. There were certainly a few doubts about whether a result would be gained heading into the final day, but thankfully the wind finally funnelled through to allow one elimination in the men’s and women’s fleets to be completed!

ma19_ls_podiums_general.jpg

All the winners' crowned

Slalom

Women’s

Reigning world champion - Delphine Cousin Questel (Starboard / S2Maui) - made absolutely no mistakes in the opening event of the year as the 27-year-old won every heat during the one elimination completed in Marignane. Cousin Questel has now won the last 5 world tour events and looks as though she will be tough to beat after making such a confident and impressive start.

ma19_sl_women_cousin_delphine_winner_final.jpg

All smiles for Delphine Cousin Questel

Fellow local girl - Marion Mortefon (Fanatic / Duotone) - was Cousin Questel’s closest challenger and last year’s world No.3 begins the season with an excellent 2nd place - equalling her best result since 2015 in Alacati. Second place here represents a great platform to build upon heading into the Asia leg of the tour in May.

ma19_sl_women_mortefon_marion_final_2nd.jpg

Marion Mortefon

There was a new face completing the podium in the opening event of the season with Oda Brødholt (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins) earning her first top 3 result in the Slalom. The Norwegian, who earned a podium place in Bonaire the week before in Freestyle, is developing into one of the best all round female sailors in the world. However, we won’t see her on the race course until September now as she won’t be racing in either Japan or South Korea.

ma19_ls_podiums_girls.jpg

Women's Top 3 - Oda Brødholt, Delphine Cousin Questel, Marion Mortefon (left to right)

Former Youth PWA Slalom World Champion - Maëlle Guilbaud (Patrik / Loftsails) - made a solid start to the season with a 4th place and the 22-year-old will probably have a podium finish in her sights heading into Asia - especially Brødholt missing from the next two events.

8b5d36d424.jpg

Maëlle Guilbaud

Lena Erdil (Starboard / Point-7 / AL360 / Chopper Fins), who is only just back on the water after suffering a lisfranc fracture last summer made a decent start with a 5th place in Marignane. The 30-year-old did well to make the winners’ final as she showed a tremendous turn of pace to overtake Fulya Ünlü (Starboard / Severne) in the semi-finals to secure the last qualifying place. Erdil also made a bright start to the final, but perhaps is just lacking that extra bit of fitness and sharpness to battle for the podium just yet.

833064a2ff.jpg

Lena Erdil

The top 10 was completed by Esther de Geus (Fanatic / Duotone), Lilou Granier (Starboard / Phantom Sails), Nimet Tulumen (Tabou / GA Sails), who equals her best result since 2017 - 8th - Océane Lescadieu (S2Maui) and Fulya Ünlü.

Men’s

In a preseason interview - Pierre Mortefon (Fanatic / Duotone / Chopper Fins) - who has finished in the overall top 3 for the last 5 seasons, made no secret of the fact that he wishes to finally get his hands on the biggest trophy of them all and he made the perfect start to the season by claiming the top spot on the podium in Marignane. Victory here means that Mortefon has won back-to-back events for the first time in his career and must be confident heading into Asia.

36396527e7.jpg

Fist pump for Pierre Mortefon

Having made a late change of board sponsor to JP Australia - Antoine Albeau (JP / NeilPryde) - will be delighted to know that he is set to be competitive again in terms of board speed as he bids for a 26th world title. AA led the final, but with the wind increasing, he couldn’t hang onto the lead on his 8.6m. However, second place represents an excellent start and you can expect to see him heavily involved in this season title race again.

b249a54c61.jpg

Antoine Albeau

Sebastian Kördel (Starboard / GA Sails) broke into the overall top ten for the first time in his career in 2017, but then endured a torrid time in 2018 with just one top 10 finish leaving him in a lowly 23rd by the end of the year. However, the German bounced back in style during the season opener here with Kördel earning his second Slalom podium of his career in France - 3rd. The 28-year-old was obviously delighted with the result and will no doubt gain a big confidence boost heading into Japan and South Korea.

2879175096.jpg

Sebastian Kördel

Last year’s world No.4 - Jordy Vonk (Fanatic / Duotone) - makes a solid start to the new season with a 4th place here. The flying Dutchman looked comfortable through the sole elimination completed and looks as though he will be a major player again this year.

3984975c38.jpg

Jordy Vonk

Finian Maynard (FMX Racing) can be proud of finishing 5th in France in his first event on his own boards. The 44-year-old was set to retire last year, but will now compete on the majority of the 2019 circuit with his new venture underway. Maynard made the best start to the winners’ final, but like Albeau, he was on too bigger gear to challenge for the podium. The board speed is clearly there though for Maynard to challenge for the top places.

486d636cbb.jpg

Finian Maynard

Meanwhile, Julien Quentel (Patrik / Gun Sails) claimed 6th place ahead of Bruno Martini (I-99 / Challenger Sails), who starts the season with his best result since 2016 - 7th - while Malte Reuscher (Tabou / GA Sails) finished 8th - which is also his best result since 2016.

01c47c095e.jpg

Julien Quentel

Mateus Isaac (JP / NeilPryde) produced a brilliant last gybe in the b-final to claim 9th place, while Marco Lang (Fanatic / Duotone) will be pleased to start the season with an excellent 10th place and is seemingly, finally back to full fitness.

58af9388b6.jpg

Mateus Isaac

The tricky conditions did see several of the top seeds fall early in France and the most notable name was that of vice-world champion - Matteo Iachino (Starboard / Severne / Shamal Sunglasses) - who was knocked out in the quarterfinals. Last year’s world No.6 and No.7 - Ross Williams (Tabou / GA Sails) and Pascal Toselli (JP / Loftsails) also suffered the same fate and all 3 sailors will be looking to hit back quickly in Asia to get their seasons up and running.

aa405a43fb.jpg

Matteo Iachino

The PWA would like to extend their thanks to the organisers and their team for all of their efforts and hospitality over the last 6 days - it wasn’t always easy with the wind testing everyone’s patience, but eventually, things ended happily!

Where’s Next on the PWA World Tour?

In a couple of weeks time, the world’s fastest sailors will be action again as they ready themselves for the Asian leg of the tour - firstly for the Fly! ANA PWA World Cup (10th-15th May) followed by the Ulsan PWA World Cup (18th-23rd May).

You can recap all the information from Marignane — including the live stream, elimination ladders, entry list, images, and live ticker simply click HERE and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Result 2019 Marignane PWA World Cup - Women's Slalom

2nd Marion Mortefon (FRA - Fanatic / Duotone)

3rd Oda Brødholt (NOR - Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins)

5th Lena Erdil (TUR - Starboard / Point-7 / AL360 / Chopper Fins)

6th Esther de Geus (NED - Fanatic / Duotone)

7th Lilou Granier (FRA - Starboard / Phantom Sails)

8th Nimet Tulumen (TUR - Tabou / GA Sails)

Result 2019 Marignane PWA World Cup - Men's Slalom

1st Pierre Mortefon (FRA - Fanatic / Duotone / Chopper Fins)

2nd Antoine Albeau (FRA - JP / NeilPryde)

3rd Sebastian Koerdel (GER - Starboard / GA Sails)

5th Finian Maynard (KV - FMX Racing)

6th Quentel Julien (SXM - Patrik / Gun Sails)

7th Bruno Martini (ITA - I-99 / Challenger Sails)

8th Malte Reuscher (GER - Tabou / GA Sails)

10th Marco Lang (AUT - Fanatic / Duotone)

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.