Morocco PWA World Cup 2018 Wave Women

• A New Year, A New Season & A New Addition to the World Tour as Women’s Wave Fleet Head For Morocco

FEATURED EVENT

Moulay

After a 4 month winter hiatus windsurfing returns to the biggest stage as the 2018 PWA World Tour kicks off in a brand new location for the best female wave sailors in the world to showcase their talent.

The new location in question is the home of Moroccan hero - Boujmaa Guilloul (Starboard / Severne / Mystic / Shamal Sunglasses) - who has played an integral role in bringing the world tour to his home of Moulay Bouzerktoun between the 1st-7th April

jpeg

Boujmaa Guilloul

Over the year’s Guilloul’s radical style has caught the eye of many, while showcasing the world class potential of Moulay, which has grown in popularity to windsurfers from all over the globe in recent years thanks to its reliable trade winds and powerful, clean Atlantic swells, which transforms it into a wave sailors dream. Moulay itself is located approximately just 30 minutes from Essaouira and offers a unique blend of traditional Moroccan culture merged together with the realms of windsurfing.

Wave

Women’s

Reigning World Champion - Iballa Moreno (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins) - will start the opening event of the year as favourite having won the Women’s PWA Wave World Championship for the last 4 years running. Iballa is well known for her wave riding prowess and is equally adept on starboard tack, as she is port, so she’ll be looking to make the perfect start to her title defence.

a635bef540.jpg

Iballa Moreno

However, the reigning world champion certainly won’t have things all her own way with a long list of rivals waiting to try and claim the scalp of the current Queen. First in line will be her sister - Daida Moreno (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins) - who will be looking to make a strong start to the season as she looks to regain the world title, which she last won in 2013. Daida may not be quite as lethal on starboard tack as she is on port, but as one of the most decorated female sailors in windsurfing history, she can never be ruled out from going all the way.

7b56575d92.jpg

Daida Moreno

Next up is Sarah-Quita Offringa (Starboard / NeilPryde / Maui Ultra Fins), who has been steadily reducing the deficit between herself and the legendary Moreno twins since completing her first full season in the waves in 2014. Offringa’s rise through the wave fleet has seen her complete the prestigious podium for the last 3 years and she’ll be a very real threat in Moulay - especially having won the Aloha Classic in 2016.

e617591126.jpg

Sarah-Quita Offringa

Last year proved to be the year for Lina Erpenstein (Severne / Severne Sails) to really break through the ranks as she finished 4th overall for 2017. The young German really caught the eye last year as she opened the season by claiming her first ever podium finish during the Gran Canaria Wind & Waves Festival. The 21-year-old recently travelled to Tarifa for some last minute starboard tack training so it will be interesting to watch how the competition unfolds over the next week.

a01e4f5c7a.jpg

Lina Erpenstein

Unfortunately, last year’s World No.5 - Justyna Sniady (Simmer / Simmer Sails / AL360) has been forced to miss the opening event of the season in Morocco due to issues with gaining her visa in time. The PWA looks forward seeing Justyna competing during the remaining events of the season.

Current Youth PWA Wave World Champion - Nicole Bandini (Fanatic / NorthSails) - finished 7th overall for 2017 and will be looking to make a solid start to the year as the 19-year-old looks to continue her upward trend having improved every year since making her debut in 2014 (31st 2014, 13th 2015, 11th 2016 & 7th 2017).

TF17_wv_Nicole_Bandini.jpg

Nicole Bandini

Also looking to make a strong start to the season will be Italian duo Greta Benvenuti (99NoveNove / Challenger Sails / AL360) and Caterina Stenta (RRD / RRD /Sails / Maui Ultra Fins) and Holland’s Arrianne Aukes (Fanatic / NorthSails / Maui Ultra Fins), who finished 6th, 8th and 9th respectively last season. Aukes, in particular, could be a slight dark horse having finished 2nd during the IWT’s Baja event in 2017 - which is also starboard tack.

SY17_wv_Arriane_action.jpg

Arrianne Aukes

New Kid on the Wave Block

Oda Johanne (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins) is no stranger to the competition scene having played professional handball, before establishing herself as one of the top female freestylers in the world over the last 4 years. However, the week ahead marks slightly new territory for the Norwegian, who will be making her debut on the wave world tour and could well be a serious threat. There have been plenty of training videos highlighting the 28-year-olds jumping prowess on starboard tack with forwards, backloops and pushloops all added to her repertoire, so if her wave riding is anything like she could well be set for a deep run in the contest.

16f3e3e55f.jpg

Oda Johanne

Merging Disciplines

Lena Erdil (Starboard / Point-7 / AL360) made her debut in the waves in Tenerife last year and she returns to the fray in Morocco as does Women’s PWA Freestyle Vice-World Champion - Maaike Huvermann (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins) - who last appeared in the waves in 2016 when she finished joint 9th in Sylt, Germany. Meanwhile, Mariah Andrés (Fanatic / NorthSails), who used to compete in both slalom and waves, also lines up again and will be hoping to replicate the form which saw her finish 6th in Maui during the 2014 Aloha Classic.

c00f387996.jpg

Men’s Qualifier

As well as being the stage for the opening women’s wave event, Moulay will also play host to some of the best male wave sailors in the world with the men’s qualifier - ran in assocation with the International Windsurfing Tour - which started on the 27th March and runs until 7th April. The likes of two-time Aloha Classic Champion - Morgan Noireaux (JP / S2Maui), Antoine Martin (JP / NeilPryde), Alex Grand-Guillot (Fanatic / NorthSails), Gustav Haggstrom (Simmer / Simmer Sails) and Moulay’s very own Boujmaa Guilloul will all be in action.

*The top two riders from the top 20 of the qualifier, not already qualified, will gain automatic entry into the Gran Canaria Wind & Waves Festival.

The current forecast looks as though it may be a relatively relaxed start to the event before an epic prediction for midweek with 20-28 knot north easterly winds accompanied by waves of 3.7-4.1m at 15 seconds, which could show Moulay at its world class best. To stay up to date with all the latest developments from Morocco — including elimination ladders, entry list, images and live ticker simply click HERE and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Schedule for Day 1:

Registration - 10am-11am (GMT+1)

Skippers’ Meeting - 12:30pm (GMT+1)

First Possible Start - 1pm (GMT+1)

Dieser Text wurde nach alter, neuer und eigener Rechtschreibung geschrieben und ist daher fehlerfrei!
    Tipp Weltmeister F1 2011 & 2013, Tipp Team-Weltmeister F1 2009, 2010, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021!

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Kein Wind bisher...

Moulay

The doors opened for the first time on the 2018 PWA World Tour as majestic Morocco welcomed 16 of the best female wave sailors in the world, from 8 different countries, to the shores of Moulay Bouzerktoun for the first ever PWA World Cup event in Morocco - marking a momentous occasion for everyone involved.

MR18_ls_Surfs_up.jpg

Moulay Bouzerktoun

After registration and rigging their sails the women were promptly released shortly after the skippers’ meeting at 12:30pm with the wind coming from the southwest rather than the predominant northeasterly direction.

MR18_ls_Starboard_team.jpg

Team Starboard Ready For Action

With plenty of downtime we caught up with last year’s World No.4 - Lina Erpenstein (Severne/ Severne Sails) - for an interview, which you can read below:

MR18_ls_Lena.jpg

Lina Erpenstein

Last year you enjoyed your best year so far finishing 4th overall - how was 2017 overall for you and did it surpass your expectations?

“I was super happy with the result and the whole year in total. I mean Gran Canaria was a dream come true for me as I earned my first podium. And then heading into Tenerife I had higher expectations after the first stop. I felt like I was sailing alright, but I didn’t finish how I wanted, but then I was happy with my result in Sylt and how I sailed there. Overall it was just a really great year for me.”

What do you think happened in Tenerife that you weren’t so happy about?

“I think I just made some wrong decisions during the heats and I think I learned a lot from that because sailing in a heat involves a lot of tactics and I made some mistakes in those aspects, so I’m actually happy about everything…”

So do you think your experience has made you better equipped for this season after last year’s experience?

“I think you are better equipped every day, so yeah I think so.”

Is this your first time in Morocco and what are your initial impressions?

"Actually, I have a nice story about Morocco because I’ve been here already with my family. We visited a few of the cities and one day we passed through the Sidi Kaouki and that has special memories for me as that’s the first beach where I first got planing, so this is the place on this earth where I decided I wanted to windsurf and since then I haven’t been able to stop doing it.

But I’d never been to Moulay itself before now and so far I’ve really enjoyed it here, it’s a nice place.”

And it’s pretty cool to have a girls only event to open the calendar?

“Yes I think so… I mean in the beginning it was meant to be a men’s and women’s event, so at the start I was maybe doubting it a bit, but now as we are here with all the girls and having been on the water together sharing some sessions it’s really cool. Also it’s nice to have the focus on women’s windsurfing and I think it could be a good chance for us to show how well we are sailing and that it’s worth watching us as well.”

Obviously, this is a starboard tack event and last year all the events were port tack - how are you feeling about that and how have you been preparing?

“In the first place I’m really happy that we have a starboard tack event as I think it makes the whole tour and all the results more interesting and fairer. For me personally, I’m not such a starboard tack favourite as it’s definitely not my better side. But I’ve been practising quite a lot over the last two weeks in Tarifa - that was pretty much a crash course in starboard tack, training everyday with a few of the local Tarifa boys who rip. In the end I’ve found it really fun improving my sailing on the other side and in the end it’s just a translation to the other side, so you can analyse your own sailing and put it right. Overall I’ve been enjoying it.”

Over the winter you moved to Severne boards - how are you finding the new gear and what would you say your favouritesetup is?

“I really, really, really like the Nano. It’s a super playful board and I think it suits the conditions we have at home because I move to Northern Germany - Kiel - so I sail a lot in the Baltic Sea where we have smaller and mushy waves. The board also has several tuning options, so I think you can really make it work in the waves that we have at home.

Favourite setup at the moment would probably have to say 78l Nano and 4.5m Blade.”

The last few winters you’ve been going to Western Australia but this year you weren’t able to make it - what was it like staying in Europe for winter for the first time in a while?

“It was a bit hard to be honest… I was back in Northern Germany, scrolling through Instagram feeds and Facebook pages and just seeing beautiful pictures from the places you’ve been the year before. But even watching photos from South Africa was hard - especially when I had to wake up in the morning and go to uni riding my bike through sunny Kiel. In the end it was also really nice, but just different. We still had a really good winter and managed to get a lot of time on the water - a bit colder, but just as fun.”\

Over the summer will you have time to train for the Canaries or will you be studying at uni?

I finish my year of studies in July and then I have until October to train again before going back to uni. In that time I plan to go to the Canaries and maybe some other trips. But for now I’m just excited for the event [in Morocco].”

Thanks Lina. Good luck for the rest of the week and season.

The current forecast looks as though tomorrow will be another quiet day, but then Tuesday afternoon offers the potential to begin the contest, before a massive swell is expected to arrive on Wednesday - 4.6m @ 18 seconds- accompanied by strong northeasterly trade winds, which could produce extremely testing and hardcore conditions. The skippers’ meeting has been called for 10am tomorrow with a first possible start of 10:30am (GMT+1).

To stay up to date with all the latest developments from Morocco — including elimination ladders, entry list, images and live ticker simply click HERE and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Dieser Text wurde nach alter, neuer und eigener Rechtschreibung geschrieben und ist daher fehlerfrei!
    Tipp Weltmeister F1 2011 & 2013, Tipp Team-Weltmeister F1 2009, 2010, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021!

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Weiter kein Wind:

Moulay

With light southerly winds and a diminishing overnight swell, the decision was made first thing this morning to release the sailors on day two of the Morocco PWA World Cup with a promising forecast on the horizon.

MR18_ls_Moulay.jpg

A light wind day in Moulay

Tomorrow sees the wind return to the north with a small swell still running, which should hopefully allow the single elimination to begin, while Wednesday holds an intimidating looking forecast with strong trade winds and a pumping swell - 4.4m @ 17 seconds - expected to hit Moulay.

png

With a lay day being called we caught up with event organiser Boujmaa Guilloul (Starboard / Severne / Mystic / Shamal Sunglasses), who is following in the footsteps of the Moreno twins and Dany Bruch (Flight Sails / AL360 / Shamal Sunglasses), who have also organised events as sailors in Gran Canaria and Tenerife, respectively:

MR18_ls_Boujmaa.jpg

Boujmaa Guilloul

Boujmaa Guilloul on bringing the PWA to Morocco for the first time in history:

“For me having a PWA event here in Morocco is something that should be almost natural as Morocco has the potential to host all kind of world cups - specifically talking about windsurfing and specifically in Moulay & Essaouira there is plenty of wind and you have amazing conditions so consistently. You can see the potential that it has so easily. We have everything you need here to hold world class events and I think the Government and the local people are really happy and really honoured to have a PWA event in Morocco for the first time. I think it should become a consistent event that appears on the calendar every year and I hope the Government will follow my aspirations and I hope the local people get behind the event as well. I hope this becomes a positive development of the country and that we can really create a positive movement. That’s the way I see it.

In terms of tourism, I think there’s huge scope to develop the sports tourism with windsurfing. The beauty of Morocco is that it has a year round climate with year round conditions, so for windsurfing holidays its perfect. The best months for windsurfing I would say would be the 6 months between say March/April until September/October. It’s windy almost everyday, so it’s certainly a destination to look at and it should be a beautiful journey to watch. I believe Morocco can develop a huge sector through sports, watersports and specifically windsurfing.”

You’ve obviously been working hard behind the scenes. What’s it like to switch from sailor to event organiser?

I really, really questioned myself about why I am doing this… you know I still have fun windsurfing and I still have the hunger to win events and to compete and travel the world. I can still do it because of my sponsors - Starboard / Severne / Mystic - who support me to do just that.

Sometimes looking at the office job of organising an event I certainly questioned why I am doing this and there were times when I wanted to give up and call it quits. There have been moments when I was struggling to raise finances to make it happen and I almost gave up. At that point it really makes you think should I do this and why should I?

Even today I’m thinking I shouldn’t do this again, this will be the last time, but at the same time if I don’t do it, who else will? I see and believe in a positive future for Morocco and I want to see the next generation thrive and follow something/sports that are nourishing for the soul…

I can see it for myself… say for example I didn’t windsurf and I just followed my childhood brainwashed thoughts… going the normal route of just school, degree and then into an office. That makes me think about what would’ve happened had I followed this route… would I still have the same mentality as I do now?

For me, with windsurfing, I completely discovered life in general. I see life in a very different way. There is a picture that I see and I don’t think some people realise the opportunity we have to be so close to these elements - so much sun, so much wind, the ocean and the coastline, which bring waves and vibration and ultimately lots of energy. I think that we forget about this a lot and I believe in the spirituality of sports. Through ocean sports, I think you can link even deeper into spirituality.”

What are your thoughts about Wednesday? There’s some thinking that it could almost be too big…

“I think the forecast looks super good. I think it’s the sort of forecast I was dreaming of when bringing the PWA here. I believe it will be solid for the girls, but I also know they are capable of performing and challenging themselves in such conditions. I know they will do it and I’m preparing my ski just to keep an eye on them and hopefully, that will give them more confidence. They will survive and there’s nothing to be scared of. It’s a good sized swell with plenty of wind to plane out and I just hope they choose the right kit setup you know… big fins, big boards and that’s what you need for big wave sailing. I know a lot of girls who love these kind of conditions.”

Will we be seeing you out on the water again?

“I really, really hope so. With JC being here that makes me want to go out on the water even more. I wish we could move to Essaouira and sail the slab in the harbour, but if it’s not big enough then we will sail the heavy waves of Moulay.”

Is there anything else you would like to add?

“I’d also just like to bring attention to the fact that it may look like I’m doing a lot here, but I’m not doing it by myself. There are so many people involved and the whole country of Morocco is behind this project, they believe in it. It’s a new thing so they have to be careful and look at it with closed eyes, but this country does believe in windsurfing and sport in general and also in the youth’s, so I would just like to say thank you to everyone who has supported us morally and financially and of course to all of our sponsors. They are the ones that make this real by believing in it. I hope this is the first of many years to come and that we can have an even bigger event in 2020 - next year we hope to keep the same concept with the PWA & IWT, and then hopefully, in 2020 we will be sharp enough to have a really big grand slam PWA festival.”

We also had a quick chat with the Moreno twins…

Iballa Moreno (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins) on returning to Morocco: “I’ve been to Morocco two times before. One time in Dakhla in the south and also up here in Moulay - probably about 10 years ago. It’s good to be back. The town changed a lot, but the conditions are still pretty fun.

I like the culture but it's very different, you just have to adapt. The Moroccan people seem happy and funny and certainly, from the women’s perspective, it’s very different from what we are used to. But we are really proud to be here - especially as a women’s only contest - hopefully, this can be a stepping stone to making next year both a male and female event. Also stoked for Boujmaa [Guilloul] that he has a great spot up here and now we’re just looking forward to a great competition.”

MR18_ls_Iballa_Moreno.jpg

Iballa Moreno rigging up

Daida Moreno (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins) on adding a new location to her list, while also talking starboard tack: “It’s my first time in Moulay and we’ve been here about a week and we’ve managed to sail for about 4 of those days, so it’s been fun. It’s an easy spot if it's not way too big and it's just amazing to be here for a women’s only event.

For jumping its a bigger deal it being starboard tack because Pozo is a (port tack) jumping spot, so I’m used to jumping that side, but for wave riding, I think it’s pretty much the same. I’m not bothered about it being starboard tack and this winter we had a great winter with starboard tack conditions. Obviously, you always have one tack that you favour and that may come from whether you surf regular or goofy. If you are regular then you are going to feel pretty comfortable wave sailing on starboard tack. If you are goofy you might be a little bit less comfortable, but with practise, you can overcome that and don’t forget we also used to live in Maui for 7 years, so it’s not like you forget… it can just take a bit of time to re-adjust.”

MR18_ls_Daida_Moreno.jpg

Daida Moreno

What are your feelings about Wednesday? It currently looks massive on the forecast… 4.5m @ 18 seconds…

Iballa: “Yeah… a lot of the girls are worried… I don’t know I guess we will just have to wait and see. I saw how the Men’s Qualifier went on the final day and that was smaller than what was predicted for Wednesday. So, like Boujmaa says: “It’s going to B.I.G. Wednesday.”. He has a jet ski ready. There’s going to be a lot of current and big waves. Hopefully, everyone stays safe and we have good finals and just see how it goes.

Daida: “Yeah, safety first.”

Are you excited for Wednesday?

Iballa: “Not excited (laughing).”

Daida: “We are excited about starting the event and gaining a result, but Wednesday looks pretty extreme and could be a bit too much, maybe, but we’ll see."

Thanks to Boujmaa and the Moreno twins.

Before big Wednesday though, there is still the possibility of at least starting the single elimination tomorrow afternoon with moderate northerly winds and 1.6m waves @ 11 seconds currently being predicted. The skippers’ meeting has been called for 11am tomorrow morning with the action commencing from 11:30am (GMT+1) - if conditions allow.

To stay up to date with all the latest developments from Morocco — including elimination ladders, entry list, images and live ticker simply click HERE and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Tag 3:

Tuesday had always been pinpointed as having the potential to provide competable conditions and that forecast came to fruition in Moulay Bouzerktoun during the afternoon on day 3 to allow the best female wave sailors in the world to battle it out for the first time in 2018 - having spent the opening couple of days on hold.

MR18_wv_Iballa_slash.jpg

Iballa Moreno off the top

At times the conditions were tricky, meaning wave selection and heat tactics were absolutely paramount in order to be successful.

Despite several excellent performances throughout the field there were no major upsets, although there were several close calls, as all of last year’s top 4 women successfully advanced into the 4-girl final - Iballa Moreno (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fails), Daida Moreno (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fails), Sarah-Quita Offringa (Starboard / NeilPryde / Maui Ultra Fails) and Lina Erpenstein (Severne / Severne Sails).

MR18_ls_Womens_single_elimination_top_four.jpg

Women's top 4 - Iballa Moreno, Daida Moreno, Lina Erpenstein & Sarah-Quita Offringa (left to right).

Reigning world champion - Iballa Moreno - looked in ominous form right from the word go today as she sailed with a superb blend of speed, power and flow, combined with a variety of turns, floaters and aerials to make a statement of intent for the season ahead. Iballa breezed through the quarterfinals - where she set the highest heat score of the day 16.38 points - and the semifinal to deservedly book her place in the final.

In her opening two heats Iballa had quickly managed to get on the scoreboard with waves in the excellent range to relieve any pressure, but in the final, her patience was tested and she deserves great credit for remaining cool and composed as the time slowly ticked away. Iballa’s patience was eventually rewarded as she struck late on to overhaul long time leader Sarah-Quita Offringa with her last two waves scoring 7.5 points and 8.62 points to win the single elimination.

MR18_wv_Iballa_on_Fire.jpg

Iballa Moreno

Iballa Moreno: “We started with really light winds, little bit onshore, but by the end of the day it got a lot better so I’m happy that we got a result and super to have won the single. I felt like I was very focused. I trained so hard to be here so I’m happy!”

And on claiming after her final wave added: “I shouldn’t, but yeah, I was waiting for the wave the whole heat and I knew I was missing one score and it was in my head all the time to just try and wait and eventually it would come. By the end of the heat I got it and I was just really happy that I got some good sections to hit. Stoked!”

MR18_wv_Iballa_finds_her_wave.jpg

Iballa Moreno claim after patiently waiting

While Iballa may have chosen to play the waiting game, Offringa chose a slightly different approach as she remained busier throughout the final and for a long time, it looked as though those tactics were going to pay off with her leading the way for much of the final. The Aruban linked together the second highest scoring wave of the final - 7.62 points - but then couldn’t quite find another wave with enough scoring potential to keep her nose ahead. However, second place in the single elimination represents an excellent start and she will no doubt be very happy with her day's work.

MR18_wv_Slash_from_Offringa.jpg

Sarah-Quita Offringa slash

Daida Moreno made a confident start to the single elimination as she comfortably booked her place in the semifinals with a series of long, flowing powerful waves. However, after such a bright start Heat 13 proved to be a bit more of a battle with the wind seemingly getting lighter, which made it tough for all sailors to get into the waves. With the clock ticking down it looked like there could be a major upset on the cards, but Daida produced a buzzer beater to move into second place at the expense of Marine Hunter (KA Sail) to book her place in the final. In the final, Daida remained in contention throughout after putting a score of 7.12 points on the board with just her second wave after linking turns and aerials together but was left to settle for 3rd place in the end. She will now have to wait until the double elimination for her chance to climb higher.

MR18_wv_Daida_Moreno_air.jpg

Daida Moreno aerial

Lina Erpenstein headed to Tarifa before Morocco for a crash course in starboard tack sailing and that paid off for the talented young German in the single elimination and she was delighted to take home 4th place. The 21-year-old was able to deliver some big hits off decent sections, but couldn’t find enough to bother the top 3 in the final.

MR18_wv_Lina_in_the_pit.jpg

Lina Erpenstein lines up

Elsewhere, Marine Hunter, certainly caught the eye today as she won the opening heat of the day in style by producing some late, ballsy hits, while also releasing her fins on one occasion. However, a mistake on her timing saw her catch her first wave in the semifinal before the buzzer - meaning it didn’t count - which wasted valuable time and the 25-year-old then caught on the inside. Despite that, Hunter still recovered to take control of the heat for a short time, but then saw her place in the final snatched away from her in the dying seconds by Daida Moreno. One to watch in the double elimination, while Serena Zoia (99NoveNove / LoftSails) finished 4th in Heat 13 after a promising start in her first heat.

MR18_wv_Marine_smacks_it.jpg

Marine Hunter almost causes an upset

Teammates Maria Andres (Fanatic / NorthSails) and Arrianne Aukes (Fanatic / NorthSails / Maui Ultra Fins) both advanced into the semifinals to face Iballa Moreno and Lina Erpenstein, but neither could successfully navigate their way into the final. Andres and Aukes both caught plenty of waves, but Moreno and Erpenstein proved that it is quality and not quantity that count in such a contest.

MR118_wv_Aukes_hits_the_lip.jpg

Arrianne Aukes

Lena Erdil (Starboard / Point-7 / AL360) admitted she made a tactical error in Heat 12, which resulted in her being eliminated in the first round by just quarter of a point. The 29-year-old got caught on the inside towards the end of the heat and with the light winds couldn’t make it back upwind in time for another scoring opportunity and she will now look to the double elimination to work her way back up the ladder.

MR18_wv_Lena_Erdil.jpg

Lena Erdil pays for tactical error

With the single elimination concluded the sailors were released after the podium presentation and the women will meet again at 9:30am for the skippers’ meeting - with the action commencing from 10am (GMT+1). With a massive forecast on offer, there is also some talk of hosting a men’s expression session.

Result Single Elimination Morocco PWA World Cup - Women’s Wave

1st Iballa Moreno (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins)

2nd Sarah-Quita Offringa (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins)

3rd Daida Moreno (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins)

4th Lina Erpenstein (Severne / Severne Sails)

5th Marine Hunter (KA Sail)

5th Maria Andres (Fanatic / NorthSails)

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Tag 4:

Day 4 of the 2018 Morocco PWA World Cup had been billed as big Wednesday and it certainly more than lived up to expectations, but it was too big if anything with Moulay looking fully out of control, which led to the women being released shortly after noon.

MR18_wv_Mad_Moulay.jpg

Moulay Madness

Despite the massive swell, which saw the waves breaking for as far as the eye could see, Lena Erdil (Starboard / Point-7 / AL360) bravely grabbed her equipment and headed for the water, while she may not have made it out back it was still a ballsy move, which eventually tempted a few of the other women out on to the water to play around on the inside for an impromptu jumping session.

MR18_wv_Lena_back_loop.jpg

Lena Erdil

Once the women were released, local hero Boujmaa Guilloul (Starboard / Severne / Mystic / Shamal) waited for the tide to rise before heading out to put on one hell of a show for everyone on the beach, as the Moroccan used his extensive local knowledge, while riding his luck at times, to hit some monstrous sections and launch into a truly rocket air! Guilloul admitted he wasn’t sure whether to turn around or to hit this double mast high ramp, but once it didn’t break he decided to embrace the fear and launch into a massive jump as he stole the show for the day!

MR18_wv_Boujmaa_Takea_off.jpg

Boujmaa soaring high above the horizon

With Guilloul heading out on the water Brazil’s Edvan Sousa (Flikka / Severne) and Guadeloupe’s Antoine Martin (NeilPryde) - who won the Men’s Qualifier - were also tempted out on to the water. Sousa gave a jumping masterclass with textbook backloops and radical one-hand, one-foot forwards, but never looked like he wanted to make it out back, while Martin couldn’t find his way through the relentless whitewater avalanches, which stretched all the way to the horizon, which is perhaps testament to how impressively easy Guilloul made it look, while one of the best wave sailors in the world failed to make it out.

MR18_wv_White_water_mountains.jpg

Whitewater avalanches

Once Guilloul returned to the beach he was understandably fully pumped after delivering a world class display in truly gnarly conditions.

MR18_wv_Boujmaa_on_fire.jpg

Boujmaa smacks it!

The women will meet again tomorrow morning at 9:30am for the skippers’ meeting with the action commencing from 10am (GMT+1) onwards. The forecast looks as though the swell will drop slightly but it remains large (3.4m @ 15 seconds dropping to 2.8m @ 14 seconds during the afternoon). After speaking to the locals it seems that they rate the chance of wind tomorrow as 50/50, but realistically tomorrow may be the last chance to finish the double elimination with another big swell expected to hit Moulay’s shores on Saturday.

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• The swell was forecast to drop slightly from yesterday on day 5 of the 2018 Morocco PWA World Cup, but while the swell may have been slightly smaller, the conditions were still extremely tricky and daunting with light winds and big, heavy closeouts making it a brave decision to venture out.

MR18_wv_Bandini_in_the_pit.jpg

Would you go? Nicole Bandini in the pit

During the morning a few sailors ventured out but had varying degrees of success. With the tide on the push things seemed to become ever so slightly easier and Marine Hunter’s (KA Sail) perseverance eventually paid off as she made it out back.

The 25-year-old had this to say upon returning to the beach: “It was really, really scary, so I spent most of the time just free riding between the sets. I didn’t take any risks and I stayed out the back for a long time with the other guys who were out.

I spent one hour just trying to get out, but eventually, I found a gap between the sets, but once I was out I was just like I’m staying out here! No doubt the biggest conditions I’ve ever sailed in.”

MR18_wv_HUnter_In_action.jpg

Marine Hunter on a bomb

After a long day of waiting the decision was made to try and begin the double elimination with Heat 24, which featured Annamaria Zollet (Hot Sails Maui / AL360), Maaike Huvermann (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins), Caterina Stenta (RRD / RRD Sails / Maui Ultra Fins) and Aurora D’Apolito (Flikka / Severne).

Huvermann, who is the women’s vice-world champion, made a bright start to the heat as she looked to improve with almost every wave and she was a little unlucky to see the heat cancelled when firmly in control of the heat. The 20-year-old quickly earned scores of 6.5 points and 7.62 points after showing excellent wave selection and execution.

Maaike Huvermann (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins): ‘I had a lot of fun, but it was big and quite scary at times, but it gets your heart pumping. I didn’t actually realise that the heat was cancelledas I was swimming for my gear, but as soon as I got to it I was like ‘ah what’, but it was definitely a lottery in getting out.

Once I lost my gear I had a bit of time to take a couple of breaths before the next wave hit, but I’ve never been washed like that… I wanted to come up for air, but just had this current holding me down.”

MR18_wv_Maaike_action.jpg

Maaike Huvermann off the top

Current youth world champion - Nicole Bandini (Fanatic / NorthSails) - showed no fear today as she navigated her way out back almost immediately this afternoon and her bravery was rewarded as the young Italian caught a massive bomb.

MR18_wv_Nicole_Bandini.jpg

Nicole Bandini makes it out

Meanwhile, Lena Erdil (Starboard / Point-7 / AL360) was another sailor, who was persistent in her efforts to make it out and she too eventually made it out after hours of trying.

MR18_wv_Lena_heads_in.jpg

Lena Erdil's perseverance pays off

A lay day has been called for Friday with virtually zero wind forecast. The skippers’ meeting for Saturday will be confirmed tomorrow and that will be the last chance to finish the double elimination. The current forecast for Saturday has a new long period swell - 3.1-3.4m @ 16 seconds - with light to moderate northeasterly winds.

Current Ranking Morocco PWA World Cup - Women’s Wave

*After Single Elimination - Results Could Yet Change

2nd Sarah-Quita Offringa (Starboard / NeilPryde / Maui Ultra Fins)

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Das war Tag 6:

With a lay day officially being called for the penultimate day of the 2018 Morocco PWA World Cup we caught up with a few of the girls for interviews.

Sarah-Quita Offringa (Starboard / NeilPryde / Maui Ultra Fins) on her experience in Morocco and the contest so far with one day to go;I’m very grateful for this opportunity to come down to Morocco and participate at this women’s only wave event. I’ve always wanted to come down here, but it’s really nothing like I expected. It’s all much, much better. Coming from the Caribbean, Morocco is about as exotic as it gets for me. I love the mix of Arabic and French. The food is great and the hospitality is amazing. The locals are incredibly kind, warm and welcoming.

Before the contest, I had some great days of sailing. And even though It would have been great to have more wind and have jumps added to the contest, I was secretly quite excited about a wave riding only contest. This is where I need and want to improve. I mostly need more patience to actually wait for a set and pick up a good wave. There were a couple of big sets during the day and it was great to watch all the women attack the bigger ones!

We had a 30-minute final and those were the best conditions all day. At some point, we were cheering each other on during the heat. I feel pretty happy and lucky to have been part of that final. And just wanted to say a big congrats to Iballa again. Her riding was really inspiring all day long.”

MR18_wv_Sarah_smacks_it.jpg

Sarah-Quita Offringa

Marine Hunter (KA Sail), who came within a minute of knocking out multiple time world champion - Daida Moreno (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins) - only to be denied a place in the dying moments as Daida produced a buzzer beater:

MR18_wv_HUnter_In_action.jpg

Marine Hunter drops in

In the single elimination, it looked like you were sailing well… do you think that taking that wave before the green flag in the semifinal cost you a place in the final? And how disappointing did it feel to miss out on a place in the final by just half a point? Or were you happy to make the semifinals and anything else would’ve been a bonus?

My fatal mistake in the semifinals was starting to think too hard about what I should do and where I should go! I thought I was too upwind and I took this wave to go down the spot a little bit. Actually I don't think that that’s what dragged me down, but instead, I think it was my state of mind. I made other mistakes and ended up swimming a lot. I must say I felt a little disappointed but I was not as composed and in control of my heat as the previous one, so it came more as a lesson than frustration. This 0.5 points difference was actually a self-confidence boost about my surfing abilities and it made me feel like I could have held my place well in the final.

How was sailing in yesterday’s conditions for you?

I went out after I saw all the boys succeeding in getting out knowing I would not be alone trying. Luckily there was enough wind to plane with the big kit (78l 4.7) but when I managed to make my way out for the first time a huge set started breaking at the back and closed the exit! Chicken-jibe and back to the beach. I tried for another hour yelling with frustration as I saw the white water sweeping the channel again and again. Eventually, the sea held its foamy breath long enough for me to realise that NOW was the time! Once outside I spent a lot of time hiking between the liquid hills, taking the least possible risks. I had never sailed in such conditions before, and even last Saturday's conditions couldn't compare. I felt a little lost on which waves to catch on which peak and I joined the guys who were shredding downwind. Going down the waves was a very bumpy and thrilling ride, everybody was shouting with a mix of excitement and fear I think!

What do you think of Morocco?

I love it! I didn't expect to see such a green and wild country, the landscapes are beautiful. I wish there was less plastic on the beaches though, it's a good pretext for morning walks in the cliffs ^^ This Essaouira region is a perfect blend of greenery, side-shore, tasty food, beauty, simplicity, quietness, smiling faces andcraziness! A pure gem.

We also caught up with Maaike Huvermann (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins), who is the Freestyle Vice-World Champion and preparing to compete in more wave events throughout the year:

MR18_wv_Maaike_action.jpg

Maaike Huvermann

This is only your 2nd or 3rd wave event isn't it? How do you enjoy competing in the waves compared to freestyle? And how has your experience been in Morocco so far?

I’ve loved Morocco so far, I’ve sailed the biggest waves of my life and learned a lot about wave sailing in general. This event is my 2nd wave event. I’ve done one in Sylt before, but that was just me doing loops so I’d call this my first ‘real’ one. The wave event is very different for me than the freestyle events. In freestyle, I’ve got a pattern that just repeats itself every single time. Before the event I think about what moves I want to try, maybe make a few variations for when the wind turns out lighter than expected so I have a good idea of what I want to do. During the comp, I go out 3 min before the heat, start with a certain move and end with a certain one. When I get off of the water, I pretty much know what my score is depending on what moves I landed and how I executed them.

In waves, however, there’s way more variable’s. You don’t know what waves and ramps are going to show up, how the wave is going to build up, if it will be just waves to count or also jumps, what the duration of the heat is etc. So it’s harder to prepare as you have way more decisions to be made in the heat itself, rather than before the heat/event. I never really know what my score will be either. This difference is what makes me like it. To be able to 2 varydifferent things. I lack some experience and have a lot to learn so this also makes doing the wave competitions more of a challenge.

Yesterday, you looked to be sailing well in tricky conditions... how did you feel yesterday and were you disappointed to see your heat cancelled?

I was a little scared to be honest. My board is a pretty small (70L) and my sail was big (5.0). Not the best combo, so I knew this was going to make it harder to make it out. I love competition though so as soon as Duncan made the call to give it a try, I forgot about it all and just went out. I think I was a little lucky to make it out, in the right spot at the right time. I was very stoked to make it out and even more stoked to ride the waves. So my level of stokedness (I just made that word up I guess) was so high that I couldn’t care less about the heat being cancelled. It was only in the evening that I was a little upset about it.

Yesterday you also said you plan on competing in the Canaries as well... at the moment would you say your prefer starboard or port tack? And what are your aims for the season?

I don’t think I have a preferred tack. Whenever I’m at a spot for at least 2 days it changes. In Holland I always used to sail port tack, so I thought I preferred that. Then I went to Brazil and got used to starboard tack very easily, so I figured starboard tack was easier for me. In Vietnam it was port tack conditions, so my preferred tack switched back to port again, and now I’m here in Morocco preferring starboard tack. Confusing? Probably.

Thanks to Sarah-Quita, Marine and Maaike. Good luck for the rest of the event and for the rest of the year.

The skippers’ meeting for the final day has been called for 9:30am with a first possible start at 10am (GMT+1), but it looks as though the odds are stacked against our favour with light northwesterly winds and another long period swell expected to arrive for Saturday (3.1m @ 16 seconds).

Current Ranking Morocco PWA World Cup - Women’s Wave

*After Single Elimination - Results Could Yet Change

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• The women’s wave fleet met at 09:30am (GMT+1) on the final morning of the 2018 Morocco PWA World Cup for the skippers’ meeting, but with mast high waves and almost zero wind the women were promptly released for the event with the swell expected to increase throughout the day - with only light onshore winds to accompany it.

MR18_wv_Iballa_on_Fire.jpg

Iballa Moreno on the way to victory

With the contest officially called off - Iballa Moreno’s (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins) long wait finally came to an end, having won the single elimination on Wednesday, as she was crowned the champion of Morocco.

Victory here represents the perfect start to the 9-time world champions title defence and you can see Iballa in action again in July during the Gran Canaria Wind & Waves Festival, which takes place 15th-21st July.

Once the result was official we caught up with Iballa for a quick word:

MR18_ls_Iballa_on_standby.jpg

All smiles for Iballa Moreno

Congratulations Iballa, how are are you feeling after winning the first ever PWA event in Morocco and also the first ever only women’s wave event?

“I’m super happy and proud to be here because we had all the attention on the girls, which I think is really important for the sport. This is an amazing place, I think we were a little bit unlucky this week with the wind, but we still managed to gain a good result. I think the level overall was good - especially in the final. It would’ve have been nice to have a little bit more wind, but I think all the girls showed a good level and it was really fun to be out there.”

What will you be up to between now and the Gran Canaria Wind & Waves Festival?

“We’ve been working really hard this year for the event as this is going to be the 30th anniversary of the competition - and our [Iballa & Daida’s] 7th year of organising the event, so we are going to do something special and I think that will also be really good for the girls… we’ll give some more news next week probably. So we’ll be focusing on that, but before then I’ll be travelling to Indonesia next week for SUP training and also have a bit of a holiday. After that I’ll be back to focusing 100% on the event In Gran Canaria - both training and organising.”

Thanks, Iballa and congratulations again.

With no competition possible on the last day of the event that means that the rankings from the single elimination remain unchanged.

Sarah-Quita Offringa (Starboard / NeilPryde / Maui Ultra Fins) equals her best start to a wave season - 2nd - having also finished second in Pozo, Gran Canaria in 2016 and the Aruban will look to build upon a great start to the season as she looks to break into the overall top 2 for the first time come the end of the season.

MR18_wv_Sarah_Quita_goiter.jpg

Sarah-Quita Offringa

Daida Moreno (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins) was in contention throughout the final but has to settle for 3rd place in Morocco, but she’ll be even more dangerous when the tour returns to the Canary Islands - firstly in her home spot of Pozo and then El Medano, Tenerife.

MR18_wv_Daida_Moreno.jpg

Iballa Moreno completes the podium

We’ll take a full look at the weeks results in the event summary.

Result 2018 Morocco PWA World Cup - Women’s Wave

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Zusammenfassung:

Moulay Bouzerktoun hosted the first ever PWA World Cup in Morocco to raise the curtain on the 2018 PWA World Tour, and that wasn’t the only first with Morocco also being the stage for the first ever women’s only wave event, which was won by reigning world champion - Iballa Moreno (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins)

The start of the week saw a quiet start to the contest with light southerly winds keeping the women on hold. However, on day 3 the wind switched back to the north and allowed the single elimination to be completed in float and ride conditions with waves in the head to logo high region.

MR18_ls_Iballa_Takes_the_Victory.jpg

Women's Podium - Sarah-Quita Offringa, Iballa Moreno, Daida Moreno (left to right)

Wave

Women’s

With light winds and only wave riding to count, wave selection and tactics were crucial in order to be successful and some sailors faired better than others in that aspect. However, right from the word go Iballa Moreno looked to be in superb form as she effortlessly booked her place in the final.

In both the quarterfinal and semifinal Iballa had quickly managed to registered a solid wave score to settle any nerves, but in the final the 9-time world champion was forced to wait and her patience was really tested, but in the end her patience paid off as she struck late - producing her two highest wave scores with her last two waves - to overtake long-time leader Sarah-Quita Offringa (Starboard / NeilPryde / Maui Ultra Fins). Iballa’s speed, power and flow mixed with a variety of turns, floater and aerials, proved too much in the end as she claimed a deserved victory to make the perfect start to her title defence as she goes in search of world title No.10.

MR18_wv_Iballa_slash.jpg

Iballa Moreno cutty

Sarah-Quita Offringa improved with each heat she sailed in Morocco and for a long time, it looked as though she may deny both of the Moreno twins. While both Iballa and Daida opted to be more selective and patient, Offringa chose to stay busy and for a long time it looked as though those tactics were going to pay off, however, she couldn’t quite hold on as Iballa fought back to clinch top spot. However, Offringa will be delighted with her start to the season as she equals her best start to a wave season - 2nd - after also finishing 2nd during the 2016 Gran Canaria Wind & Waves Festival.

MR18_wv_Sarah_off_the_lip.jpg

Sarah-Quita Offringa

Multiple time world champion - Daida Moreno (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins) - completes the podium in the season opener and she’ll be even more of a threat in the coming events in both Gran Canaria and Tenerife. Daida was in contention throughout the final - landing two aerials on one wave - but couldn’t quite find the second score she required to pass either Iballa or Offringa.

MR18_wv_Daida_Moreno_air.jpg

Daida Moreno

Although there were a few close calls en route to the final all four of last year’s top four qualified for the final with Lina Erpenstein (Severne / Severne Sails) also navigating her way into Heat 15. The German’s crash course in starboard tack wave sailing in Tarifa a few weeks prior to the world cup here clearly paid off and she’ll no doubt be delighted with her start to the season and you can expect to see her get even stronger over the rest of the season as she returns to her favoured starboard tack.

MR18_wv_Lina_in_the_pit.jpg

Lina Erpenstein

France’s Marine Hunter (KA Sail) caught the high immediately in the semifinal as she won her quarterfinal ahead of last year’s world No.3 - Sarah-Quita Offringa - after a series of late hits and no fear approach. The 25-year-old came within seconds of qualifying for the 4-girl final, only to be denied as Daida Moreno produced a buzzer beater. That means Hunter walks away with joint 5th place alongside Spain’s María Andrés (Fanatic / NorthSails).

MR18_wv_Marine_drops_in.jpg

Marine Hunter

Elsewhere, Arrianne Aukes (Fanatic / NorthSails), may feel she missed out on an opportunity to make the final after making an excellent start to Heat 14 - scoring 6.38 points - but then couldn’t find anything better than a disappointing 2.38 point wave, which may have partly come down to wave selection. The 31-year-old finishes 7th here - alongside Italy’s Serena Zoia (99NoveNove / Loftsails) - and will no doubt learn from the experience with another wave event under her belt as there were plenty of positive signs.

MR18_wv_Arrianne_off_the_lip.jpg

Arrianne Aukes

After Day 3 the Atlantic Ocean produced several days of massive swell, which saw Boujmaa Guilloul deliver a world class display for the onlooking crowds as he tamed double mast high waves and launched into 60 foot jumps.

MR18_wv_Boujmaa_Takea_off.jpg

Boujmaa Guilloul rocket air

Men’s Qualifier

The Men’s Qualifier began on the 27th March and was completed by the 31st March in epic conditions with strong winds and waves mast to mast and half high. 4 men lined up in the final - local hero Boujmaa Guilloul, two-time Aloha Classic champion Morgan Noireaux (JP / S2Maui), Guadeloupe’s Antoine Martin (NeilPryde) and Japan’s Takara Ishii (RRD / RRD Sails) - with the 17-year-old earning his place in the qualifier by winning the youth division.

Come the end of the final Antoine Martin clinched his first ever event victory after landing a massive one-handed backloop, while landing radical goiter after goiter combined with some seriously late hits to deny Noireaux and Guilloul - with Ishii finishing 4th.

The PWA would like to extend their thanks to Boujmaa, who has been integral in bringing the PWA to Morocco, and also to all of his fantastic team and sponsors, without whom it would not be possible. After a great event we hope to return next year.

MR18_ls_Red_sky_at_night.jpg

The sun sets for the final time on the 2018 Morocco PWA World Cup

Where’s Next on the PWA World Tour?

After the first wave event of the year attention now turns back to the race course as the fastest men and women in the world prepare to battle it out on the Asian leg of the tour, which will see them travelling to Japan, followed by Korea.

- Japan event dates (10th-15th May)

- Korea event dates (19th-24th May)

For a full recap from Morocco — including elimination ladders, entry list, images and live ticker simply click HERE and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Result 2018 Morocco PWA World Cup - Women’s Wave

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.