Tenerife PWA World Cup 2017

• After a three week break, the best wave sailors in the world are ready to return to action for their second battle of the season, which sees them heading for El Médano for the 2017 Tenerife PWA World Cup (6th-12th August). Since beginning in 2011 Tenerife has produced a result every year, enhancing its reputation as one of Europe’s premier wave sailing destinations and hopefully, over the next 7 days we’ll see more phenomenal action.

6cd180efd6.jpg

Iballa Moreno

El Médano is situated on the Southeast coast of Tenerife, just minutes away from the airport. Furthermore its beautiful golden sand beaches are blessed with glorious sunshine, regular trade winds and pumping waves year round, which make this amazing spot a windsurfers haven. The week ahead is guaranteed to be packed with unbelievable action, as the world’s most radical sailors prepare to take full advantage of the world class conditions to wow both the crowds and the judges with more gravity defying stunts and radical wave riding.

7de87bf042.jpeg

El Medano - Birds Eye View

Wave

Women’s

Since the Tenerife PWA World Cup started in 2011 the Moreno twins have never finished outside the top 2 and given the way they both started the season in Pozo it's hard to see anyone breaking into the top 2 this time around. Daida Moreno (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins) continued her dominance of Pozo to take the early season lead, but Iballa Moreno (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins) - the reigning world champion - comes into the event as the defending event champion. Over the last couple of seasons, there’s only been a couple of points separating them, so it will be intriguing to see who comes out on top this time around. If Daida was to secure victory here it would be a massive step towards securing her 19th world title, while if Iballa was able to win it would setup a grand stand finale to the season.

fea6c01adc.jpg

Daida Moreno

Lina Erpenstein (Patrik / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins) will come into the second event of the year full of confidence having broken into the top 3 for the first time in her career in the opening event of the season. The young German showed off her no fear approach to jumping and aggressive wave riding to make an impressive start to the year and you can expect to see more of the same over the next 7 days.

GC17_wv_Lena_Erpenstein_back_loop.jpg

Lina Erpenstein

However, Justyna Sniady (Simmer / Simmer / Mystic) will be wanting to exact revenge again Erpenstein after a narrow loss in the single elimination in Pozo. The Pole was fighting her way back through the double - which included an impressive victory against last year’s world No.3 Sarah-Quita Offringa (Starboard / NeilPryde / Maui Ultra Fins) - before the conditions fizzled out and she’ll be chomping at the bit for another shot at a podium run.

0492a08647.jpg

Justyna Sniady

The first event of the year was somewhat of a disappointment for Sarah-Quita Offringa. The 26-year-old finished 2nd in Pozo in 2016, but could only muster a 5th place finish this time around. However, Offringa will come into Tenerife on a high having just captured her 10th PWA Freestyle World Championship and you can expect to see her charging for the podium again.

7e91f321e8.jpg

Sarah-Quita Offringa

Steffi Wahl (Patrik / Sailloft Hamburg) missed the opening event of the season, but the German is raring to go in time for Tenerife and she’ll be a massive threat here. Last year Wahl caused a major upset in the single elimination as she defeated Daida Moreno to finish 2nd before finishing 3rd for the event. Expect to see more powerful wave riding as she looks to kick off the season with at least a top 5 finish.

ab60779728.jpg

Steffi Wahl

Elsewhere, the likes of Nicole Bandini (Fanatic / NorthSails), Arrianne Aukes (Fanatic / NorthSails / Maui Ultra Fins), Sarah Hilder (Simmer / Simmer Sails) and Caterina Stenta (RRD / RRD Sails / Maui Ultra Fins) will be hoping to make their presence felt, while Lena Erdil (Starboard / Point-7 / AL360) and Maria Andres (Fanatic / NorthSails) are also in the lineup.

9bd83c498f.jpg

Nicole Bandini

Men’s

Two men have dominated in Tenerife since 2011 as well - reigning world champion Victor Fernandez (Fanatic / NorthSails / Shamal) and 3-time world champion - Philip Koster (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins). At certain points, both have been outside the top 2, but never at the same event and in the past 6 editions of the Tenerife PWA World Cup one of these two have won and it’s difficult to see that trend stopping here. Especially given the fact that they finished 1 and 2 in the opening event of the year. Koster produced an impeccable return from injury to head up the event rankings, while Fernandez was his usual slick self and there could be another epic battle on our hands here.

930a0ae846.jpg

Victor Fernandez

However, as Pozo showed the level on the world tour is currently at an all time high and the margins are almost too close to call, so as a result there’s plenty of other sailors in the running.

Firstly, Thomas Traversa (Tabou / GA Sails) produced an outstanding display in Pozo to finish 3rd and the Frenchman will now only get stronger throughout the season. TT finished 2nd here in his title winning year of 2014 and you wouldn’t want to bet against him replicating that form - especially if there’s a decent swell.

44c3bc1917.jpg

Thomas Traversa

Ricardo Campello (Point-7) and Marcilio Browne (Goya Windsurfing) met each other in just the 3rd round of the single in Pozo and both are certainly capable of going all the way here in Tenerife. Campello racked up a perfect jumping heat in Pozo (20 points out of 20) and if he can sustain that level he’s in with a great shout, while Browne appears to have perfect doubles on lock down, while he also landed a perfect double off the lip in Pozo during free sailing and he looks hungry to add another world title to his mantle piece.

51b39bcdf7.jpg

Ricardo Campello

Elsewhere, event organiser Dany Bruch (Starboard / Flight Sails / AL360 / Shamal) and local hero Alex Mussolini (RRD / RRD Sails) are likely to be serious contenders on their home waters, but they’ll be having to battle it out against the likes of Robby Swift (JP / NeilPryde / Mystic / SWOX), who started the season with a solid 6th place, Adam Lewis (Fanatic / NorthSails / SWOX), for whom Tenerife is like a second home and Jaeger Stone (Starboard / Severne / Shamal Sunglasses / SWOX), who started the season with a relatively quiet joint 9th place, but you can expect to see him bounce back immediately - especially since he won the single elimination here in 2015.

64c53a63d3.jpg

Dany Bruch

Moritz Mauch (Severne / Severne) could also pose major threat - especially if there is only one jump to count, while the usual suspects of Omar Sanchez (Carbon Art / KA Sail), Jules Denel (JP / NeilPryde), Leon Jamaer (JP / NeilPryde), Alessio Stillrich (Fanatic / NorthSails) and Antoine Martin (JP / NeilPryde) should be in the mix.

4e36a71a98.jpg

Moritz Mauch

One other name that catches the eye on the entry list is that of 7-time PWA Freestyle World Champion - Jose ‘Gollito’ Estredo (Fanatic / NorthSails) - who returns to the waves. The Venezuelan has been spotted busting out perfect double forwards and he could well be one to cause a few upsets against the pure wave sailors.

ec7e652f86.jpg

Jose 'Gollito' Estredo

The current forecast looks as though it may be a relatively quiet start to the event, but Wednesday and Thursday currently offer plenty of potential to run the contest as Tenerife looks to maintain its 100% results record. Make sure you stay tuned intowww.pwaworldtour.com between the 6th-12th of August to follow all the fantastic action from the second stop of the 2017 PWA World Tour as it happens via the PWA live stream.

To stay up to date with all the latest developments from Tenerife — including the live stream, elimination ladders, entry list, images and live ticker simply click HERE and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Day 1 Schedule: (All Times GMT+1)

Registration - 10-11am

Skippers’ Meeting - 12:30pm

First Possible Start - 1pm

Dieser Text wurde nach alter, neuer und eigener Rechtschreibung geschrieben und ist daher fehlerfrei!
    Tipp Weltmeister F1 2011 & 2013, Tipp Team-Weltmeister F1 2009, 2010, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021!

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• No show:

The opening day of the 2017 Tenerife PWA World Cup saw a quiet start to proceedings with the wind remaining light throughout. For a short time during the afternoon the wind did increase enough to tempt a few people out onto the water, but as the forecast predicted no competition was possible on the first day. That meant that the sailor's main focus was registering for the upcoming contest and preparing their equipment for the week ahead.

TF17_ls_El_Cabezo.jpg

El Medano

During a relaxed first day in Tenerife we caught up with Adam Lewis (Fanatic / NorthSails / SWOX) for a quick interview:

TF17_ls_Lewis_rigs_up.jpg

Adam Lewis rigs up

You kicked off the season with a 7th place in Pozo were you happy with that and how are you feeling coming into Tenerife?

With the level on tour as it at the moment I went into Pozo without too many expectations, but I went there for a month prior to the event for training and was feeling quite happy with my sailing. Tenerife is a funny one because I’ve always felt like I should do well here, but then I think I place too much pressure on myself. This year I'd like to come into the event placing no expectations, but obviously, I’d like to do well.

You used to live here, so what do you make of the forecast?

The thing is that the forecast looks to have been changing every update on the sites, so we’ll just have to see what we get. Since I’ve been here - two weeks- we’ve had quite a lot of sailing, but all on 5.0-5.3m and I’ve been on the big Stubby. There looks to be strong winds on Thursday, but there’s a chance that that could come through during the night. I’m pretty confident that we’ll getwind and I’ll be preparing 5.3-5.7m.

The other thing is that there is a big south swell, which isn’t the best for Cabezo as it just makes a bowlie close out, which sort of levels the playing as the local knowledge goes out the window somewhat.

In Pozo you used a Grip and here you are using a Stubby what are the main differences and what do you make of the Stubby?

As my biggest board, I use the stubby and it’s just sick for pretty much everything. You can get away with using a slightly smaller board than you usually would as all the volume is where you need it - the 89 feels a little bit bigger and they are just so early planing, so for somewhere like here, where it’s quite often windier on the outside, then the stubby comes into its own as it keeps driving through turns even if the wind is lighter on the inside. The wider tail provides lift which allows you to power through gustier wind and stillmake sections and turns. For such a big board it holds and pivots in the pocket so well.

I’ve been using the grip as my smaller board - using an 81ltr - It’s also really early planing and I generally run it as a thruster - it’s got 5 boxes - but I used it as a quad in Pozo as setup like this it offers more drive. In Pozo you are doing slightly less vertical turns so it just holds its speed slightly better than as when it’s set up as a thruster. I’d primarily use it as a thruster as it allows you to turn that extra bit tighter, so you can attack the wave more vertically.

If you could pick one location that you haven’t been to yet that you’d love to go where would it be?

Either the Isle of Lewis or Mauritius.

If you could steal one move off one sailor what would you choose?

Philip Koester’s stalled double forward.

Move you found hardest to learn?

Doubles - they are still on going process of doom. In Pozo, they felt quite okay, but trying to do them here on a 5.0m is a completely different ball game.

Thanks, Adam good luck for the contest.

The forecast for tomorrow looks quite similar to today, but there is the possibility of the waves being slightly better with an increased period - from 9 to 11 seconds - so it may be possible to run some float and ride heats. The skippers’ meeting has been called for 10am tomorrow morning with the action commencing from 10:30am (GMT+1).

To stay up to date with all the latest developments from Tenerife — including the live stream, elimination ladders, entry list, images and live ticker simply click HERE and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Dieser Text wurde nach alter, neuer und eigener Rechtschreibung geschrieben und ist daher fehlerfrei!
    Tipp Weltmeister F1 2011 & 2013, Tipp Team-Weltmeister F1 2009, 2010, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021!

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Weiter nix:

The sailors remained on hold for the second day in a row in Tenerife as the light winds continued as expected. Throughout the day there was a bit of a swell running so several sailors took the opportunity to either go for a surf or SUP.

TF17_ls_Iballa_SUP_session.jpg

Iballa Moreno SUP

Old Guard versus the Next Generation

John Skye (RRD / RRD Sails), a veteran on the PWA World Tour will take on 14-year-old Marino Gil (Goya Windsurfing) in the opening round of the Men’s Single Elimination had this to say: “I think I’d finished uni and started competing on the tour before he was even born! In fact I’ve just spoken with Marino’s father and he was born in August 2002 - at which point I was currently ranked 2nd behind Ricardo [Campello] in the freestyle.”

How do you feel about competing against Marino?

Nervous! Haha, he’s a good sailor already and it’s obvious that he has a bright future and bags of potential.

Skye will also be competing on the compact quiver he has been developing - what’s your setup for here?

I’ve got my full set up so 5.3m, 4.6m and 4.0m.

TF17_ls_John_Skye_rigs.jpg

John Skye with Compact Quiver

Do you think it has any disadvantages or advantages compared to normal?

They've got a double eyelet clew to give them a more tuneable range. So by changing position it feels like I’m changing from the 5.3-5.1m for example.

One of the advantages is that you have a more refined quiver, so I’ve got less stress trying to pick the perfect sail size, the only disadvantage of that is that I might not be on exactly the right sail size, but that’s one of the main reasons I want to compete on them so I can see what the limits are and then take it forward from there. I’ll be using a Pro mast 100% carbon and HD 80% and full carbon 2 piece boom.

What’s the deal with the compact quiver?

You can purchase the backpack with complete mast, boom, extension and then buy the sails you want - You can buy the Pro, which features a 100% carbon mast or you can opt for the slightly cheaper HD 80% option. In the backpack you can fit 3 sails in the backpack and we currently offer 4 sizes- 5.3m, 4.6m, 4.0m and 3.5m. So I opt to travel with the 5.3m, 4.6m and 4.0m, but if you are lighter you’d probably want to opt for 4.6m, 4.0m and the 3.5m.

The mast is one size 340cm and it comes with a 60cm extension, so you can rig the 2 big sails rig 5.3m and 4.6m, and then the others set at 340cm - so it’s a one mast fits all. We’ve also tried to make the mast curve the same as a normal mast.

The only disadvantage I can think of is that the mast weighs 300 grams more… but that’s just physical weight - on the water you can’t feel the difference.

TF17_ls_Compact_mission.jpg

The Compact Quiver folds up into a bag

Thanks, John. Good luck for the contest.

The forecast for tomorrow looks slightly better with light to moderate northeasterly winds while a south swell is expected to kick in throughout the morning, which may offer the opportunity to compete in light airs, while Wednesday and Thursday continue to look promising. The sailors will meet again tomorrow morning at 10am with the action commencing from 10:30am (GMT+1) onwards - if conditions allow.

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Schon interessant dieses Compact Quiver Konzept. Für mich macht es aber keinen Sinn, da das Board ja auch noch mit muss. Auf einen fünfteiligen Mast hätte ich keine Lust, ebenso finde ich die Gabel in einem Stück auch besser. Wichtiger finde ich das Gesamtgewicht. Da bin ich mit Board, 3 Segel, Gabel, 2 Masten und Doppelbag mit Rollen bei 28kg.

• Das war der heutige Tag:

After a long day on hold, the first round of the 14-15 Year Old Boy’s contest was completed in light winds and varying sized waves. With not much wind on offer, the contest was a pure wave riding test with the best two waves to count over a 14 minute duration.

In the opening heat Adam Warchol (Goya Windsurfing) was the standout sailor as the young Pole demonstrated excellent wave selection and execution as he continually took a vertical attack to each wave he chose to claim a clearcut victory to book his place in the final. Meanwhile, Mike Friedl (Goya Windsurfing) will have another shot to earn his place in the final as he secured second place to move into the repechage round.

TF17_wv_Adam_Warchol.jpg

Adam Warchol

Takuma Sugi (Tabou / GA Sails) also looked to be in fine form as he claimed the top spot in Heat 2 ahead of Oliver Rodriguez (Fanatic / NorthSails) after showing better wave selection.

TF17_wv_Takuma_Sugi.jpg

Takuma Sugi

In the final heat of the day, the conditions looked even trickier with the wind slightly lighter than in the previous two heats, which led to a tight affair with not much separating the 4 sailors. However, by the end of the heat top seed Marino Gil (Goya Windsurfing) managed to edge into the lead as he safely navigated his way into the final ahead of Laurin Schmuth (Severne), who claims the last place in the repechage round.

TF17_wv_Marino_Gil.jpg

Marino Gil

The forecast continues to look promising for tomorrow with the conditions expected to improve throughout the day and the best of the conditions could again be in the evening. The skippers’ meeting has been called for 10am with the action commencing from 10:30am (GMT+1) onwards.

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Der gestrige Tag:

After a calm first few days to start this year’s Tenerife PWA World Cup the wind and waves finally kicked in to provide a fantastic day of competition. As the day progressed the conditions slowly improved and by the evening the wind and waves were pumping with winds excess of 35 knots guaranteeing an impressive showing from the world’s best sailors. By the end of day 4, only the top 4 men and women remain standing ahead of finals days tomorrow, which should see even better conditions.

TF17_wv_Aleix_Sanllehy.jpg

Aleix Sanllehy going all out

Wave

Women’s

In the Single Elimination, only the top 4 women remain standing. The first name into the semifinals was Sarah-Quita Offringa (Starboard / NeilPryde / Maui Ultra Fins), who looked to be back to her best today after a disappointing 5th place in the opening wave event of the year in Pozo. The 26-year-old sailed with superb power and style to blow Nicole Bandini (Fanatic / NorthSails) out of the water and is on course for a return to the podium.

TF17_wv_Sarah_Quita_Offringa.jpg

Sarah-Quita Offringa

Offringa will now meet reigning world champion - Iballa Moreno (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins) - in the semifinal after she defeated Arrianne Aukes (Fanatic / NorthSails / Maui Ultra Fins). Iballa looked her usual fluid self on the wave but didn’t look as comfortable as she usually does in the air, which could potentially leave her vulnerable against Offringa.

TF17_wv_Iballa_hack.jpg

Iballa Moreno

Current world tour leader - Daida Moreno (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins) - continued her fine start to the season as she recorded the two highest scores of the day in her two heats as she landed a massive stalled forward and a trademark one-handed backloop, while looking very consistent on the wave.

TF17_wv_Daida_Moreno.jpg

Daida Moreno

Daida will now meet Lina Erpenstein (Patrik / Severne) after the German staged a late comeback against Justyna Sniady (Simmer / Simmer Sails / Mystic).

TF17_wv_Lina_Erpenstein_pushloop.jpg

Lina Erpenstein

Men’s

Adam Lewis (Fanatic / NorthSails / SWOX) enjoyed his best day to date on tour as he booked his place in the top 4 - building upon his fine start to the season, which saw him equal his best ever result - joint 7th - in Pozo and he’s already guaranteed at least 5th place in the double elimination. Earlier in the week, the Brit had spoken about how he didn’t want to place too much pressure on himself here, as he often feels he should perform better than he has done here in the past with the amount of time he has spent training here. Today, the 29-year-old managed to do just that with a combination of doubles, one-handed and one-footed backloops, while on the wave he linked together his usual explosive turns with radical frontside 3s and takas to first take down Antoine Albert (Goya Windsurfing), before claiming the scalps of Jaeger Stone (Starboard / Severne / SWOX / Shamal Sunglasses) and Marcilio Browne (Goya Windsurfing).

TF17_wv_Adam_Lewis_in_the_zone.jpg

Adam Lewis

Sailor of the Day

Next up for Lewis will be the ominous figure of Philip Köster (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins), who was the standout sailor of the day as he landed trademark ankle dry double forwards, while seemingly being able to do whatever he wanted on the wave with a blend of powerful gouges, frontside 3s, one-handed goiters and slick takas all being thrown down at some point, which saw him earn the highest score of the day - 27.63 points out of a possible 30. Against Camille Juban (Quatro / Goya Windsurfing) there was a slight concern that the former 3-time world champion may not be 100% fit as he left it until the latter stage of Heat 21b to perform a jump, an unusual tactic for Köster who’s normal routine is to start with jumping so his knee may not be perfect, but he still landed two textbook double forwards to dispel any major fears and now has a night to rest and recover ahead of tomorrow’s finals.

TF17_wv_Philip_Koester_tweaked_air.jpg

Philip Köster tweaked air

Alex Mussolini (RRD / RRD Sails) is a local legend in Tenerife and the Spaniard effortlessly navigated his way into the semifinals with victories over Marc Paré (Simmer / Simmer Sails), Jules Denel (JP / NeilPryde) and lastly Alessio Stillrich (Fanatic / NorthSails), who will be pleased to have bounced back from a slightly disappointing result in Pozo - joint 17th - with a strong display to sit in joint 5th in the single elimination.

TF17_wv_Alex_Mussolini_inverted.jpg

Alex Mussolini goiter

The final heat of the day saw the fireworks fly as reigning world champion - Victor Fernandez (Fanatic / NorthSails / Shamal Sunglasses) - lined up against Ricardo Campello (Point-7) for a rematch of their Pozo bout, which proved to be the closest heat of the day with just 0.13 of a point between them by the end. Both sailors landed double forwards, but it was Fernandez who scored higher after hitting a bunker bomb to launch into a perfectly executed massive double, but Campello landed the only pushloop forward of the contest so far, while they were almost inseparable on the wave.

TF17_wv_Victor_Fernandez.jpg

Victor Fernandez

In the end, the decision went to Fernandez and Campello felt aggrieved that his pushloop forward had not been better rewarded, but he will now have to wait until the double for another shot at Fernandez, who will face Mussolini in the second semifinal.

TF17_wv_Campello_flying.jpg

Ricardo Campello

The Brit Slayer

Elsewhere, Arthur Arutkin (Fanatic / NorthSails) sailed well to advance into joint 9th in the single elimination as the Frenchman defeated Ben Proffitt (Simmer / Simmer Sails), before claiming his most impressive victory to date against Robby Swift (JP /NeilPryde / Mystic / SWOX) - although the Brit will be disappointed with how he sailed. The 20-year-old then had opportunities against Camille Juban, but couldn’t take them on this occasion.

TF17_wv_Arthur_Arutkin.jpg

Arthur Arutkin

As previously mentioned Alessio Stillrich enjoyed a fine day today he progressed into joint 5th and he claimed some of the biggest scalps of his career so far, as he first survived a tricky first round heat against 7-time PWA Freestyle World Champion - Jose ‘Gollito’ Estredo (Fanatic / NorthSails) - before taking down Klaas Voget (Fanatic / NorthSails) and former world champion - Thomas Traversa (Tabou / GA Sails).

TF17_wv_Alessio_Stillrich_tweaked.jpg

Alessio Stillrich trademark tweaked pushloop

Thriving Talent

14-year-old Marino Gil (Goya Windsurfing) claimed the biggest win of his young career so far as he knocked out John Skye (RRD / RRD Sails) by landing a big one-footed backloop and an outstanding frontside 360.

TF17_wv_Marino_Gil.jpg

Marino Gil

Meanwhile, 19-year-old Julian Salmonn (Severne / Severne Sails) was the standout sailor in the first round with the young German’s powerful and dynamic wave riding really catching the eye. Salmonn almost defeated Philip Köster here in the first round in 2015 and today he came incredibly close to almost causing another major upset against Jaeger Stone, but he snatched a famous victory away with his final wave to edge through. However, heading into the double it’s unlikely that anyone will fancy facing him.

TF17_WV_Julian_Salmonn_frontside.jpg

Julian Salmonn

The forecast looks as though the howling winds will continue tomorrow with the swell size expected to increase 2.2m, which should provide a grandstand finale to the Single Eliminations before the start of the doubles. With the great forecast on offer, the skippers’ meeting has been called for 8:30am with the action commencing from 9am (GMT+1) onwards. Make sure you tune intowww.pwaworldtour.com to follow all the action as it happens via the PWA live stream or via our Facebook feed.

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Wird jetzt langsam spannend, Browne mit echt geiler Aufholjagd. Aber er wird jetzt an Victor Fernandez scheitern, der ist frischer.

Es sind aber auch schlappe Bedingungen...

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Gleich Mussolini gegen Fernandez. Auf den Sieger wartet Köster...

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Das (erste) Finale läuft zwischen Victor und Philip...

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Klare Sache bisher, da braucht es kein Superfinale mehr...

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Das war der gestrige Tag:

The wind and waves continued for the third day in a row to allow the Men’s and Women’s Double Eliminations to be completed. Although the conditions weren’t as good as yesterday with lighter winds and smaller waves there was still some amazing action being thrown down in a variety of conditions as Tenerife maintains its 100% record since the event began in 2011.

TF17_wv_Koester_wave_360.jpg

Philip Köster

Women’s

Double Elimination

Iballa Moreno (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins) was extremely upset and angry at being knocked out in the semifinals yesterday and she used those raw emotions today to stage a thundering comeback. The reigning world champion first brought Justyna Sniady’s (Simmer / Simmer Sails / Mystic) fine fight back to an end, before receiving a bye into the final against Sarah-Quita Offringa (Starboard / NeilPryde / Maui Ultra Fins) - with her sister - Daida Moreno (Starboard / Severe / Maui Ultra Fins) forced to withdraw from the competition through injury.

TF17_wv_Iballa_checks_her_landing.jpg

Iballa Moreno

With the wind diminishing the decision was made to extend the final to 16 minutes from 14 minutes, which proved absolutely crucial with Iballa turning the final on its head in the dying minutes by linking together her best two waves on her last two efforts - with her last wave coming in the last minute such were the fine margins between victory and defeat. Offringa will no doubt be slightly frustrated knowing how close she was to victory as this opportunity slips through her hands.

TF17_wv_Sarah_Quita_forward_loop.jpg

Sarah-Quita Offringa

In the Super Final both women continued to trade blows, but by this point, it was Iballa who had really found her rhythm. The reigning world champion quickly landed a stylish table top forward, which then gave her the remainder of the heat to find two wave scores. Iballa’s riding is the strongest part of her game and by the end of the Super Final, she reinforced this by earning two waves in the excellent range with a variety of roundhouses, tails slides and foam climbs to complete a stunning comeback. Offringa kept herself busy throughout, but couldn’t quite find the scores she required to stop Iballa this time around.

TF17_wv_Iballa_one_handed.jpg

Iballa Moreno

Justyna Sniady won a further 3 heats today as she maintained her high level of performance to dispatch of Greta Benvenuti (Patrik / Point-7 / AL360) and Nicole Bandini (Fanatic / NorthSails) before gaining revenge against Lina Erpenstein (Patrik / Severne) for her defeat in Pozo in what proved to be an incredibly close heat, which saw the lead change hands on several occasions. Sniady actually trailed heading into he final couple of minutes after Erpenstein landed a 7 point pushloop, but the Pole rallied by pulling off perfect backloop in the last minute, which sees her break into the top 4.

TF17_wv_JUstyna_Sniady_back_loop.jpg

Justyna Sniady

Men’s

Double Elimination

Philip Köster (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins) was truly in a league of his own during the final as he stormed to an emphatic victory to secure back-to-back event victories to take a stranglehold over the race for the world title. Despite being one of the heaviest sailors the 22-year-old was able to generate more speed and power on the wave than anyone else throughout the day and he earned almost perfect scores after producing an absolute masterclass of a heat against Victor Fernandez (Fanatic / NorthSails / Shamal Sunglasses) as he tore what waves there were on offer to pieces with turns oozing power, frontside 360s and goiters. In this kind of form, you have to feel he is virtually unstoppable and you just have to sit back, relax and enjoy watching a genius at work.

TF17_wv_Koester_lets_rip.jpg

Philip Köster

Fernandez may have been powerless to stop Köster, as anyone else would've been, in the final, but the Spaniard still enjoyed a fine day as he stopped Marcilio Browne (Goya WIndsurfing) in his tracks to defend his 3rd place, before going one better as he won an incredibly close heat between himself and Alex Mussolini (RRD / RRD Sails) - with just quarter of a point between them by the end with Fernandez’s brilliant double, despite the light winds, making all the difference.

TF17_wv_Fernandez_in_control.jpg

Victor Fernandez

Browne’s comeback may have been ended by Fernandez, but the Brazilian still enjoyed a fine day as he fought his way back into 4th place with victories over Thomas Traversa (Tabou / GA Sails), Alessio Stillrich (Fanatic / NorthSails) and lastly Adam Lewis (Fanatic / NorthSails / SWOX), who earned the highest wave score of the day 8.88 points, but couldn't find a solid second wave score after spending the opening half of the heat landing a double forward. The Brit still walks away with his best result ever though - 5th place - and must be delighted with his week's work.

TF17_wv_BMarcillio_Browne.jpg

Marcilio Browne

Lewis’s teammate, Alessio Stillrich (Fanatic / NorthSails), also earns his best ever result on the world tour - 6th - after winning an extremely close heat against Jaeger Stone (Starboard / Severne / SWOX / Shamal Sunglasses) in the opening battle of the day. Indeed it was so close that Stillrich needed a last minute double forward to pip Stone to a place in the top 6 - while also landing a trademark super tweaked pushloop.

TF17_wv_Alessio_Stillrich.jpg

Alessio Stillrich

Youth’s - Sponsored by Godzilla Surf Shop

After the finale of the Men’s and Women’s Double Eliminations the Youth’s took centre stage.

Girl’s

15-18 Year Olds

Nicole Bandini (Fanatic / NorthSails / Maui Ultra Fins) proved too much for Alexa Escherich (JP / NeilPryde / Maui Ultra Fins) in the girl’s 15-18 year olds final as the Italian landed a stylish forward and attempted a frontside air to come out on top.

U14s

Meanwhile, Julia Pasquale (Fanatic / NorthSails) sailed well to win the U14s division, but 11-year-old Mari Morales (Quatro / Goya Windsurfing) also put on a fine display to take second place.

Boy’s

16-18 Year Old

Noah Vocker (Fanatic / NorthSails / Maui Ultra Fins) had to come through the repechage heat to book his place in the final, but once there he made no mistake in the final to claim a decisive victory with the 18-year-old landing a massive one-handed backloop to see off competition from Miguel Chapuis (JP / NeilPryde) and Valentino Pasquale (Fanatic / NorthSails), who finish 2nd and 3rd respectively.

14-15 Year Olds

Marino Gil (Goya Windsurfing), who won a couple heats in the main event lived up to his top seed reputation to deservedly take the win ahead of Takuma Sugi (Tabou / GA Sails) and Mike Friedl (Goya Windsurfing), who complete the podium.

After three scintillating days of competition tomorrow will see a lay day here in el Médano with the contest now complete - in the evening the closing ceremony will be held at 8:30pm (GMT+1) in the town square.

Result 2017 Tenerife PWA World Cup - Women's Wave

1st Iballa Moreno (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins)

2nd Sarah-Quita Offringa (Starboard / NeilPryde / Maui Ultra Fins)

3rd Daida Moreno (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins)

4th Justyna Sniady (Simmer / Simmer Sails / Mystic)

5th Lina Erpenstein (Patrik / Severne)

Result 2017 Tenerife PWA World Cup - Men's Wave

1st Philip Köster (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins)

2nd Victor Fernández Official Fansite (Fanatic / NorthSails / Shamal Sunglasses)

3rd Alex Mussolini (RRD / RRD Sails)

4th Marcilio Browne (Goya Windsurfing)

5th Adam Lewis (Fanatic / NorthSails / SWOX)

6th Alessio Stillrich (Fanatic / NorthSails)

7th Jaeger Stone (Starboard / Severne / SWOX / Shamal Sunglasses)

7th Thomas Traversa (Tabou / GA Sails)

9th Marc Paré (Simmer / Simmer Sails)

9th Ricardo Campello (Point-7)

9th Camille Juban (Quatro / Simmer Sails)

9th Dany Bruch (Starboard / Flight Sails / AL360 / Shamal Sunglasses)

Result 15-18 Year Old Girl's

1st Nicole Bandini (Fanatic / NorthSails / Maui Ultra Fins)

2nd Alexa Escherich (JP / NeilPryde / Maui Ultra Fins)

Result U14’s Girls

1st Julia Pasquale (Fanatic / NorthSails)

2nd Maria Morales (Quatro / Goya Windsurfing)

Result 16-18 Year Old Girl’s

1st Noah Vocker (Fanatic / NorthSails / Maui Ultra Fins)

2nd Miguel Chapuis (JP / NeilPryde)

3rd Valentino Pasquale (Fanatic / NorthSails)

Result 14-15 Year Old Boy’s

1st Marino Gil (Goya Windsurfing)

2nd Takuma Sugi (Tabou / GA Sails)

3rd Mike Friedl (Goya Windsurfing)

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• schlappe Bedingungen, die waren unwürdig, man hätte 2 h warten können, dann wäre wie am Tag davor abends auch wieder mehr Wind gewesen.

Das Philipp Fernando bei der wavewertung fast 6 Punkte abnimmt war schon echt krass. Der junge ist heiß auch bei drecksbedingungen.

• Die Zusammenfassung:

jpeg

Final Day Highlights - Tenerife PWA World Cup

For the 7th year in a row Tenerife delivered world class conditions to maintain its 100% record of gaining a result. After a slow first few days, El Médano more than made up for that with some of the best conditions we’ve ever seen in Tenerife with winds reaching in excess of 50 knots at times and waves up to mast high providing the ideal playground for windsurfing of the highest performance. In the men’s division Philip Köster (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins) continued his dominant start to the season to collect his second victory of 2017, while Iballa Moreno (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins) fought back to deny Sarah-Quita Offringa (Starboard / NeilPryde / Maui Ultra Fins).

TF17_ls_All_the_winners.jpg

All the winner's

Wave

Women’s

Iballa Moreno suffered a shock semifinal exit at the hands of Sarah-Quita Offringa in the single elimination, but the reigning world champion staged a rousing final day comeback to earn her first victory of the season after defeating Offringa, twice to deny the Aruban her first port tack wave event win. Success in Tenerife sees Iballa take control of the title race heading into the Autumn season.

TF17_wv_Iballa_back_loop.jpg

Iballa Moreno

Sarah-Quita Offringa may feel that this was a missed opportunity for her as she was only a minute away from winning the event. However, Iballa produced a brilliant buzzer beater of a wave to deny the 26-year-old. However, after a disappointing 5th to start the season in Pozo, Gran Canaria, the Aruban should be delighted with the way she bounced back to earn second place here, which sees her rise to 3rd in the overall rankings.

TF17_wv_Sarah_Quita_forward_loop.jpg

Sarah-Quita Offringa

During the quarter finals and opening half of her semifinal - Daida Moreno (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins) - looked to be in the same rich vein of form that saw her win the opening event of the season, but disaster struck for the 18-time world champion midway through her semifinal against Lina Erpenstein (Patrik / Severne) when she injured herself jumping, which led to her having to withdraw from the contest. Daida remains second in the overall rankings after still finishing 3rd here, but now faces a race against time to be fit in time for Sylt at the end of September.

TF17_wv_Daida_Back_loop.jpg

Daida Moreno

Justyna Sniady (Simmer / Simmer Sails / Mystic) produced one of the comebacks of the double elimination as she won 4 consecutive heats to rise to 4th place from 9th. Sniady found her rhythm and flow to defeat Lena Erdil (Starboard / Point-7 / AL360), Greta Benvenuti (Patrik / Point-7 / AL360), Nicole Bandini (Fanatic / NorthSails / Maui Ultra Fins) before exacting revenge against Lina Erpenstein for her narrow defeat in Pozo.

TF17_wv_JUstyna_Sniady_back_loop.jpg

Justyna Sniady

Erpenstein couldn’t quite defend her top 4 position this time around, but has still made an excellent start to the season with 3rd and 5th place finishes which sees her ranked 4th in overall standings after two events.

TF17_wv_Lena_push_loop.jpg

Lina Erpenstein

Men’s

Philip Köster (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins) was quite simply in a league of his own in Tenerife as he obliterated the rest of the competition with an outstanding jumping and wave riding display as he showed again why he is the best port tack wave sailor in the world. Köster’s blend of powerful rail turns and tricks earned him an emphatic victory to make it two wins out of two since his return from injury and the 22-year-old is on course for a 4th world title. If he sustains his current level of form it’s hard to see anyone stopping him.

TF17_wv_Koester_back_loop.jpg

Philip Köster

Reigning world champion - Victor Fernandez (Fanatic / NorthSails / Shamal Sunglasses) - won here last year, but couldn’t find a way to stop a dominant Köster on this occasion. The Spaniard finished 3rd in the single elimination but fought back into the top two after winning two tough battles against Marcilio Browne (Goya Windsurfing) and Alex Mussolini (RRD / RRD Sails) in the double elimination. Fernandez is still in touch with Köster heading into the second half of the season and could still yet defend his world crown.

TF17_wv_Frontside_Fernandez.jpg

Victor Fernandez

Local legend Alex Mussolini excelled at his home spot once again as he earned his 3rd podium finish in 7 years in Tenerife. The Spaniard was in inspired form on Day 5, which saw him take home second place in the single with trademark frontside 360s and massive one-handed, one-footed backloops inflicting the damage. Mussolini couldn’t quite defend that position in the double, so he falls one place to 3rd here, but will be absolutely delighted with his performance over the last week which means he rises to 6th in the overalls.

TF17_wv_Musso_on_fire.jpg

Alex Mussolini

Marcilio Browne produced another valiant come back through the double elimination - just as he did in Pozo - as the Brazilian fought back into 4th place from 9th with victories over Thomas Traversa (Tabou / GA Sails), Alessio Stillrich (Fanatic / NorthSails) and lastly Adam Lewis (Fanatic / NorthSails / SWOX), which sees him rise into the overall top 3. The Brazilian also racked up the highest scoring wave of the contest - 9.88 points - after landing a sick frontside 3 right in the pocket against Dany Bruch (Starboard / Flight Sails / AL360 / Shamal Sunglasses, who has to settle for 9th place at his home break.

TF17_wv_Brawzinho_360.jpg

Marcilio Browne

Adam Lewis came into Tenerife on the back of equalling his best ever result on tour - joint 7th in Pozo - and the Brit continued his fine start to the season, which saw him break into the top 4 for the first time in his life after defeating Browne in the single elimination. However, the 29-year-old couldn’t quite hold off the Brazilian in the double, but he still finishes in a fantastic fifth place and ranked 5th in the overall rankings after the opening two events.

TF17_wv_Lewis_full_stretch.jpg

Adam Lewis

Lewis’s teammate - Alessio Stillrich (Fanatic / NorthSails) - has been on the radar for quite some time as one of the most promising young wave sailors in the world and this week saw the22-year-old produce a breakthrough performance as he bounced back from a disappointing start to the season in Pozo - 17th - by breaking into the top 6 for the first time. Stillrich ended Marc Paré’s (Simmer / Simmer Sails) stunning comeback, before producing a last minute double forward to earn a high profile victory against Jaeger Stone (Starboard / Severne / SWOX / Shamal Sunglasses) to move into the top 6. Stillrich then achieved a higher jumping score than Marcilio Browne with a trademark super tweaked pushloop and a double forward, but couldn’t quite find the wave scores he needed as he bowed out of the competition with his head held high.

TF17_wv_Alessio_Tweaked_out.jpg

Alessio Stillrich

Jaeger Stone has to settle for joint 7th place in Tenerife after a narrow loss to Stillrich and the Australian is now ranked joint 8th in the overalls with Dany Bruch. Thomas Traversa (Tabou / GA Sails) also finishes in joint 7th after dispatching of Aleix Sanllehy (Tabou / GA Sails), Jules Denel (JP / NeilPryde) and Camille Juban (Quatro / Simmer Sails) - before Browne ended his hopes. After an excellent start to the season Traversa is ranked 4th overall and in contention for the prestigious podium.

TF17_wv_Table_top_forward_from_Traversa.jpg

Thomas Traversa

Marc Paré (Simmer / Simmer Sails) produced a stunning comeback in the double as the Youth World Champion found his best form to win 4 heats on the spin as he ended the hopes of Britain’s John Skye (RRD / RRD Sails), Belgium’s Dieter van der Eyken (Starboard / Severne), France’s Arthur Arutkin (Fanatic / NorthSails) and Germany’s Klaas Voget (Fanatic / NorthSails), with a series of fantastic performances which also saw him land quite possibly the highest jump of the the contest - a monstrous stalled forward against Arutkin. Paré’s storming come back sees the 19-year-old break into the top 10 for the first time in his career and he really looks like a potential world champion in the making in the future - as the new crop of young and talented wave sailors took down many of their older and more experienced peers during this event.

TF17_wv_Pare_takes_off.jpg

Marc Paré

Elsewhere, Ricardo Campello (Point-7) had settle for joint 9th despite being the only sailor in the competition to land a pushloop forward. Camille Juban and Dany Bruch complete the top 10.

TF17_wv_Campello_flying.jpg

Ricardo Campello

Youth’s - Sponsored by Godzilla Surf Shop

Girl’s

15-18 Year Olds

Nicole Bandini (Fanatic / NorthSails / Maui Ultra Fins) proved too much for Alexa Escherich (JP / NeilPryde / Maui Ultra Fins) in the girl’s 15-18 year olds final as the Italian landed a stylish forward and attempted a frontside air to come out on top.

TF17_wv_Nicole_Bandini.jpg

Nicole Bandini

U14s

Meanwhile, Julia Pasquale (Fanatic / NorthSails) sailed well to win the U14s division, but 11-year-old Mari Morales (Quatro / Goya Windsurfing) also put on a fine display to take second place.

TF17_wv_Julia_Pasquale.jpg

Julia Pasquale

Boy’s

16-18 Year Old

Noah Vocker (Fanatic / NorthSails / Maui Ultra Fins) had to come through the repechage heat to book his place in the final, but once there he made no mistake in the final to claim a decisive victory with the 18-year-old landing a massive one-handed backloop to see off competition from Miguel Chapuis (JP / NeilPryde) and Valentino Pasquale (Fanatic / NorthSails), who finish 2nd and 3rd respectively.

TF17_ls_Noah_Vocker.jpg

Noah Vocker

14-15 Year Olds

Marino Gil (Goya Windsurfing), who won a couple heats in the main event lived up to his top seed reputation to deservedly take the win ahead of Takuma Sugi (Tabou / GA Sails) and Mike Friedl (Goya Windsurfing), who complete the podium.

TF17_wv_Marino_Gil_01.jpg

Marino Gil

Tenerife once again further enhanced it’s reputation as one of Europe’s premier wave sailing destinations and the level of sailing we have seen over the past 7 days is arguably some of the best we have been lucky enough to witness. The young talent of the tour seems to be thriving with many of the aspiring sailors taking down their better known counterparts over the course of the week. After another incredible installment of the Tenerife PWA World Cup we are already looking forward to returning in 2018 - thanks to the organiser and the sponsors for their continued support.

You can review all the news from Tenerife — including the live stream, elimination ladders, entry list, images and live ticker simply by clicking HERE and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Where’s Next on the PWA World Tour?

After a busy last 6 weeks of Freestyle, Slalom and Wave contest the PWA World Tour goes into a 3 and a half week hibernation, but then we’ll be returning with more furious Slalom in Denmark for the Hvide Sande PWA World Cup - which runs between the 9th-14th September.

Result 2017 Tenerife PWA World Cup - Women's Wave

1st Iballa Moreno (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins)

2nd Sarah-Quita Offringa (Starboard / NeilPryde / Maui Ultra Fins)

3rd Daida Moreno (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins)

4th Justyna Sniady (Simmer / Simmer Sails / Mystic)

5th Lina Erpenstein (Patrik / Severne)

Result 2017 Tenerife PWA World Cup - Men's Wave

1st Philip Köster (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins)

2nd Victor Fernández Official Fansite (Fanatic / NorthSails / Shamal Sunglasses)

3rd Alex Mussolini (RRD / RRD Sails)

4th Marcilio Browne (Goya Windsurfing)

5th Adam Lewis (Fanatic / NorthSails / SWOX)

6th Alessio Stillrich (Fanatic / NorthSails)

7th Jaeger Stone (Starboard / Severne / SWOX / Shamal Sunglasses)

7th Thomas Traversa (Tabou / GA Sails)

9th Marc Paré (Simmer / Simmer Sails)

9th Ricardo Campello (Point-7)

9th Camille Juban (Quatro / Simmer Sails)

9th Dany Bruch (Starboard / Flight Sails / AL360 / Shamal Sunglasses)

Result 15-18 Year Old Girl's

1st Nicole Bandini (Fanatic / NorthSails / Maui Ultra Fins)

2nd Alexa Escherich (JP / NeilPryde / Maui Ultra Fins)

Result U14’s Girls

1st Julia Pasquale (Fanatic / NorthSails)

2nd Maria Morales (Quatro / Goya Windsurfing)

Result 16-18 Year Old Boy’s

1st Noah Vocker (Fanatic / NorthSails / Maui Ultra Fins)

2nd Miguel Chapuis (JP / NeilPryde)

3rd Valentino Pasquale (Fanatic / NorthSails)

Result 14-15 Year Old Boy’s

1st Marino Gil (Goya Windsurfing)

2nd Takuma Sugi (Tabou / GA Sails)

3rd Mike Friedl (Goya Windsurfing)

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.