Hüft- oder Sitztrapez: What type of harness is best - seat or waist?

• Etwas von Unifiber:

[h=2]What is the best type of windsurf harness for you and the type of sailing you mostly do?[/h]
    Here’s a summary of the Pros and Cons of the higher-hooked waist harness and lower hook position of the traditional Seat harness from two of our Brand Ambassadors - slalom racer Miriam Rasmussen and speed and wave rider Steve Thorp - who give contrasting views on the benefits and drawbacks of each to help you make up your mind!

UP ON THE TOES AND AGILE - OR LOCKED AND DOWN LOW?
    As always, before you pick, we recommend trying various methods out as there are so many ‘subjective’ choices in this sport.

So don’t be afraid to seek advice and input from professional coaches and advanced instructors to make sure your time on the water is fun and energy-efficient.

Of these coaches, most will recommend a waist harness for waves and freeriding and whatever feels best out of waist or seat for freerace and speed/slalom sailing.

Many also recommend that ladies with ‘hourglass’ figures choose a seat harness. It’s all about getting hook height right!

Research and choose carefully before you decide!

Here we go, starting with …

MIRIAM RASMUSSEN:
    Living in a secluded arm of a Norwegian fjord, I was presented with no option when I started windsurfing four years ago: "You race!" (Imagine this being said in a Nordic, guttural, growl-like fashion)

Norwegian slalom racers use seat-harnesses. That’s the way it is, so I started my windsurfing career on an 124-litre slalom board, wearing a seat harness.

I did buy a waist harness, but struggled to become friends with it - even when sailing my wave gear.

I just couldn't get used to the fact that the harness changed position when I sail - moving up and down and from side to side.

I’ve tried different kinds of seat harnesses, from the lush, generously upholstered heavy varieties, to the spartan, race seats.

In principle, they all offer the same, precise, body-weight-powered, downward thrust into your rig.
    and I appreciated this, especially when sailing large, heavy slalom rigs.

So I got quite accustomed to the kind of harness I used the most. The only catch that comes with using a race seat is that you're in for a thorough wedgie every now and then - especially if you’re sailing in a bikini!

BUT - last year I pushed myself to sail one sail size bigger than usual, and experienced that, as a lightweight rider, I had problems holding the rig locked down.

A friend suggested that I should try using the waist for the most windy days. Good tip - with the waist harness, my center of gravity (read 'ass') is placed lower, thereby giving me better leverage to avoid the rig lifting me up.

Now I use the Unifiber Waist FL harness most of the time, but keep a race seat for the light-wind days MR

… and …

STEVE THORP:
    I grew up sailing slalom gear on a lake, (back in the days of BIC Electric Rocks, Tiga 260s and Sputnik 270s) so always used a seat harness.

Then Freestyle and waves came into my life, the slalom stopped and I just used a waist harness.
    When I returned to speed and slalom I tried a seat harness again, but found it really hard to get on with after using the waist harness for so long.

So I now just use a waist harness for everything.

I think there are actually advantages for speedsailing.

You spend your whole time sailing very overpowered and, with a waist harness, I find I can manage the power much easier.

If I get lifted by a gust it's easier to sheet out and stand slightly more upright over the board - or sheet in and drop my backside further outboard as it's not tied to the rig!

Basically, with a waist harness, I can handle anything nature throws at me and this gives me much more confidence.

I guess for the heavy guys a seat harness is ultimately more efficient, as you can apply more mastfoot pressure when needed - and get your head and upper body slightly further outboard when needed.

But to win, you have to finish, so for me a waist harness is the best choice!

Clearly, for waves (and freestyle), a waist harness is always best as it gives maximum freedom of movement and is easier for quick hooking in and out. ST

Dateien

• U-1.jpg

(92,69 kB, 2 Mal heruntergeladen, zuletzt: )
    • U-2.jpg

(67,03 kB, 2 Mal heruntergeladen, zuletzt: )
    • U-3.jpg

(81,16 kB, 2 Mal heruntergeladen, zuletzt: )
    • U-4.jpg

(99,39 kB, 2 Mal heruntergeladen, zuletzt: )

Dieser Text wurde nach alter, neuer und eigener Rechtschreibung geschrieben und ist daher fehlerfrei!
    Tipp Weltmeister F1 2011 & 2013, Tipp Team-Weltmeister F1 2009, 2010, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021!

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Einen wichtigen Sicherheitshinweis für Sitz- und Hüfttrapeze will ich euch nicht vorenthalten. Ich habe mich bisher bei voller Fahrt immer fürchterlich langgelegt, bis ich den folgenden Hinweis meines Pro Limit Race-Trapezes gefunden und beachtet habe::D

IMAG0577.jpg

• Und weiter gehts:

We previously mentioned the Pros and Cons of Waist Harnesses and Seat Harnesses for various styles of windsurfing.

But not all harness types hook heights are equal. You can find higher-hooked seat harnesses and quite low-hooked waist harnesses on the market, so which is the one you need?

Yes, generally speaking, seat harnesses allow a locked-in feel - such as for racing or performance free riding - and waist harnesses deliver easier hooking in and out and allow for more 'reactive' sailing. I.e., for freestyle or wavesailing, where you need to easily and regularly be in and out of the harness.

LOW, MEDIUM OR HIGH?
    A lot of these riding positions are more specifically related to hook height. Seat harnesses usually have the lowest hooks and waist harnesses the highest.

[TABLE='width: 100%']

[tr]

[td]

[tr]

[td]

Low hook height race seat harness - for ultimate low-down, locked-in power control.

[/td]

[/tr]

[/TABLE]

[/td]

[/tr]

[/TABLE]

[tr]

[td]

However, many top-level coaches advise that waist harnesses be worn with the hook below the belly button.

In reality they are often much higher and ride up the stomach due to either poor fit or body shape.
    This advice suggests that no hook be positioned too high.

[/td]

[/tr]

[/TABLE]

[tr]

[td]

[tr]

[td]

Waist harness with internal contours to fit the body and prevent riding up and maintain steady hook height

[/td]

[/tr]

[/TABLE]

[/td]

[/tr]

[/TABLE]

[tr]

[td]

PERFECT BALANCE
    There are solutions such as mid-height freeride seat harnesses that allow a 'best of both worlds' solution for a wide range of sailing that will not ride up, but allow the rider to 'sit' on the power for faster sailing and still have some agility to unhook swiftly for gybes and jumps.

'Hourglass' figures can also benefit from having a seat harness that keeps the hook at the optimum belly button level.

[/td]

[/tr]

[/TABLE]

[tr]

[td]

[tr]

[td]

Medium hook height seat harness - good for a mix of blasting/free riding and a few jumps.

[/td]

[/tr]

[/TABLE]

[/td]

[/tr]

[/TABLE]

[tr]

[td]

People with straighter hips will be able to have their hook positioned in the recommended medium height by a quality, regular waist harness that grips the body and does not slip upwards.

Apart from correct fit - a lot of hook height issues can also be solved by using longer harness lines than you might be used to that can prevent waist harness hooks riding up on lines that are too short.

You can also experiment with boom height to get this balance right and your stance and equipment working in harmony.

If you are in doubt, book a clinic with an experienced coach and trust your local store to help you get the right fit - and don't be a bad sport and then go and buy it online for a few bucks less! (Wear it out!)

[/td]

[/tr]

[/TABLE]

Dateien

• U1.jpg

(70,66 kB, 2 Mal heruntergeladen, zuletzt: )
    • U2.jpg

(46,17 kB, 2 Mal heruntergeladen, zuletzt: )
    • U3.jpg

(57,46 kB, 2 Mal heruntergeladen, zuletzt: )

Dieser Text wurde nach alter, neuer und eigener Rechtschreibung geschrieben und ist daher fehlerfrei!
    Tipp Weltmeister F1 2011 & 2013, Tipp Team-Weltmeister F1 2009, 2010, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021!

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Moinsen,

watt kostet den so ein Sitztrapetz.

Bei Unifibre weiss ich immer nicht was es kostet, stehen keine Preise im Netz. UVP???

Hallo Martin:

UF058000010 Thermoform Waist SC (Support & Comfort) Harness 179,00 €

UF058000110 Thermoform Waist FL (Flexible & Lightweight) Harness 159,00 €

UF058010030 Thermoform Waist Harness 139,00 €

UF059010030 Wave / Freeride Waist Harness 125,00 €

UF059015030 Wave / Freeride Waist Harness + optional kite handle 129,00 €

UF059020040 Freeride Harness 119,00 €

UF059030040 Race Harness 119,00 €

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.