NoveNove Maui Aloha Classic 2015

• Dass Philip Köster Weltmeister ist, steht bereits fest...

Dieser Text wurde nach alter, neuer und eigener Rechtschreibung geschrieben und ist daher fehlerfrei!
    Tipp Weltmeister F1 2011 & 2013, Tipp Team-Weltmeister F1 2009, 2010, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021!

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Day 11: Philip Köster and Iballa Moreno officially crowned champions of the world
    The 2015 PWA Wave World Championships were decided on Day 11 of the NoveNove Maui Aloha Classic and after an intense season of competition it is Philip Köster (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins) and Iballa Moreno (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins), who walk away with the top honours.

Day 11 saw a mixed bag of conditions with frequent rain squalls causing the wind to fluctuate, but thankfully as the day progressed the skies began to clear and the long period swell slowly started to pulse into Ho’okipa to create another great day of competition.

After another solid day only the top four sailors remain in the men’s double elimination — Levi Siver (Quatro / Goya Windsurfing / MFC), Thomas Traversa (Tabou / GA Sails), Kauli Seadi (99NoveNove / Hot Sails Maui / MFC) and Morgan Noireaux (JP / Hot Sails Maui), whilst the same is also true in the women’s division with only — Fiona Wylde (Starboard / Goya Windsurfing), Sarah Hauser (Tabou / Simmer), Ingrid Larouche (Fanatic / North) and newly crowned world champion Iballa Moreno left standing.

Women’s

Double Elimination

After a slightly disappointing showing in the single elimination, Fiona Wylde, started to re-find the form she showed during last year’s Aloha Classic, which saw the 18 year old finish second. Wylde was the biggest mover of the day as she won five heats on the bounce. Wylde has now progressed into a minimum of fourth place after beating both Nayra Alonso (Fanatic / Severne) and Vickey Abbot in her final two heats of the day. Wylde impressed by selecting the biggest set waves, whilst showing a no fear approach as she constantly attacked the lip. Wylde will now face Sarah Hauser tomorrow in the battle for third and fourth.

Unfortunately things didn’t go to plan for Daida Moreno (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins) today. Daida needed to win five consecutive heats in order to recapture the world title, but fell at the first hurdle in Heat 27 as Fiona Wylde and Anne-Marie Reichman (Starboard / Hot Sails Maui) advanced. However, whilst things may not have gone as she wanted today, Daida still walks away from this season in second place having shown her world class talent in the opening two events of the year and she will no doubt be back stronger than ever for 2016.

With Daida eliminated from the double elimination Iballa Moreno was officially crowned the 2015 PWA Wave World Champion and she will now look to finish off the season in style by defending her single elimination crown. Iballa has now won back-to-back world titles and is currently on course to complete a famous hat-trick of Aloha Classic victories, so make sure you stay tuned to see if she can do just that.

Men’s

Double Elimination

Victor Fernandez (Fanatic / North / MFC) started the day with all eyes on him as the only man who could deny Philip Köster a third world title. The Spaniard faced an extremely tall order as he would have to win eight heats in a row to accomplish that, but you wouldn’t have known the amount of pressure on him given how he came flying out of the starting blocks.

Fernandez started to gather momentum in the double and for a little while Köster will have been starting to sweat due to how his sole rival was sailing. Fernandez advanced from his opening three heats with a combination of raking turns combined with radical goiters and frontside 360s., but the pick of the bunch came in Heat 44 when his back was against the wall. With only a few minutes remaining in the heat the 2010 world champion needed a 6.19 point wave or better to progress and he delivered a near perfect wave when firmly under the cosh - Fernandez stomped an amazing frontside 3 right in the critical section together with a couple of powerful turns to earn 9.43 points, The 31 year old kept the title race alive with his monumental effort, whilst ending the hopes of Ricardo Campello (Patrik / Point-7 / MFC) and Kai Lenny (Naish / MFC).

However, despite Fernandez’s heroic efforts it wasn’t quite enough to deny Köster world title No.3 as he was taken down by Levi Siver in the very next heat by just 0.14 of a point. Fernandez landed an incredible forward off the lip, which was landed out into the flats, but it still wasn’t quite enough as Siver advanced.

With Köster’s agonising wait finally brought to an end we managed to catch up with the newly crowned world champion and the 21 year old had this to say upon capturing world title number 3: “It’s feels great to win another world title, to be honest I still can’t quite believe it at the moment. After a long year of competing it feels really good, we were unlucky with the last couple of European events and there was a lot of waiting, which isn’t the easiest when all you want to do is compete. I’m super stoked and it feels special to win the title here in Hawaii.”

When asked about whether he was starting to get nervous when Victor Fernandez started to gather a bit of momentum Köster added: “Of course I was watching and I was starting to get a bit nervous. He was sailing super good, he had some great waves including his 360 which I think he received a 9.4 for. But in the end Levi [Siver] was sailing incredibly and there’s no one that knows this place better than him.”

“From here I’ve going to the Great Lake Michigan for a new Red Bull Project, so keep your eyes out for that, then I’ll fly home to Gran Canaria for one day before heading to Australia to train.”

Away from the title race Levi Siver produced the standout performance of the day as he started to show the same devastating form as when he won the Aloha Classic in 2013. After progressing from his opening two heats, and ending Fernandez’s comeback — together with the title race — Siver produced an almost perfect performance against Camille Juban as the American earned 19 points out of a possible 20. On one of his final waves Siver received perfect 10s from the judges as he boosted a crunching aerial off the lip with a gouging full round house cutback before throwing a sick frontside 360 to leave Juban helpless. Siver now moves into the top four and his next opponent will be Thomas Traversa with the winner of that heat going on to face Kauli Seadi.

Marcilio Browne (Goya Windsurfing / MFC) was the only man with the potential to steal the final place on the overall podium for 2015, but the former world champion fell in Heat 42. The Brazilian showed flashes of pure brilliance with several hell turns, but Ho’okipa continually shut him down today and as a result Jaeger Stone (Starboard / Severne) will complete this year’s prestigious podium. Stone is only in his second full season back on the World Tour — after recovering from injury and completing his studies — and has quickly established himself as one of the major players and the 25 year old deservedly walks away from 2015 with his best result so far.

Kevin Pritchard (Starboard / Ezzy / MFC) was extremely unlucky in Heat 43 to come up against Levi Siver and Ricardo Campello. KP would’ve advanced from most heats with his performance, which saw him boost the biggest aerials of the day, but unfortunately came up against two sailors in inspired form.

In the end Ricardo Campello was able to fight back to 7th place in the double elimination, but for a time it looked as though he may go much further. The Venezuelan/Brazilian was in scintillating form to begin the day as he combined powerful hacks with amazing air takas, while almost landing an insane backloop off the lip. However, his comeback was brought to an end earlier than many may have anticipated in Heat 44.

Tomorrow should see the thrilling finale to the NoveNove Maui Aloha Classic with strong trade winds expected again together with a similar sized swell as today, but with a short wave period. The sailors will meet again at 10:30am tomorrow morning with the action commencing from 11am onwards. Make sure you tune into www.pwaworldtour.com to see the fascinating conclusion live via the PWA live stream.

After the completion of the double eliminations tomorrow there will be a Champions for Charity contest, which you can vote for the winner online, followed by a 30 minute all girls expression session.

Dieser Text wurde nach alter, neuer und eigener Rechtschreibung geschrieben und ist daher fehlerfrei!
    Tipp Weltmeister F1 2011 & 2013, Tipp Team-Weltmeister F1 2009, 2010, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021!

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• na ja eigentlich war der Stream nur einen Heat weg, danach gings wieder gut.
    Bei mir wurde es 4Uhr :-)

Ja Victor war voll on Fire und meiner Meinung nach hätte er den Heat gegen Levi Siver gewinnen müssen.
    Der der Foreward of the Lip war völlig unterbewertet!!!
    Aber so is fürn Köster halt gut :-)

Und Campellos Backloop war ja der Hammer, schade das er den net gestanden hat.....

• Game over:

Day 12: Morgan Noireaux and Iballa Moreno defend Aloha Classic Crowns on Super Sunday
    Ho’okipa delivered the goods again on Day 12 of the NoveNove Maui Aloha Classic to provide a fitting ending to the finals on Super Sunday. Only the top four sailors in each of the men’s and women’s fleets were left standing after busy day yesterday, so today saw the world’s best wave riders battling it for the prestigious honour of being crowned the NoveNove Maui Aloha Classic Champion.

The wind may have been light and patchy to begin with, but it soon turned nuclear, so with strong winds and logo to mast high sets there was plenty of epic action to conclude an amazing event.

Double Elimination

Women’s

Fiona Wylde (Starboard / Goya Windsurfing) was on fire yesterday as she stormed her way back through the double by winning 5 heats in a row and the 18 year old picked up where she left off from today as she saw off the challenge of Sarah Hauser (Tabou / Simmer) — who finishes fourth — before going on to defeat Ingrid Larouche (Fanatic / North) — who sailed through the pain barrier again to complete the podium. Wylde showed excellent wave selection again together with superb timing with her turns as she consistently hit the lip to set up a final against Iballa Moreno (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins).

Final

The final saw a repeat of last year’s showdown as Iballa Moreno and Fiona Wylde lined up against each other again. By this point Wylde was on a seemingly unstoppable roll having won her last 7 heats and the local girl made a strong start to the final as she produced a super late hit under the lip, releasing the fins to earn 7.62 points — immediately applying the pressure to Iballa. Over the remainder of the heat the two women continued to exchange blows with the lead swinging back and forth between them. With two minutes remaining Wylde held the lead with Iballa needing a 7.62 point wave or better to avoid a Super Final. In those final two minutes both women gained one more scoring opportunity as a set rolled into Ho’okipa at the perfect time to provide a tense finale. Wylde delivered two more perfectly timed turns before finishing off with a float over the lip, but Iballa went one better as she produced her most aggressive wave of the heat by combining three powerful hacks to earn 8 points and take the 2015 NoveNove Maui Aloha Classic title, which completes a famous hat-trick of event victories having won here in 2006, 2014 and now 2015.

Iballa Moreno had this to say after defending both her world title and Aloha Classic Crown: “In the water you don’t really know have any idea about the points, but apparently it was really close until the last wave I caught, which gave me 8 points, which made the difference in the end. I’m pretty happy that everything went well and I won the event. I mean it’s another dream come true. Yesterday was a really emotional day with a lot of things going on in my mind, but today I realised my main goal of coming to Hawaii, which was to win the Aloha Classic and I’m delighted about this more than anything else.”

Men’s

Levi Siver (Quatro / Goya Windsurfing / MFC) looked to be in the same irresistible form as yesterday as he quickly racked up a 9.25 point wave, after landing a perfect frontside 3 against Thomas Traversa (Tabou / GA Sails) in the battle for third and fourth. The 2013 Aloha Classic Champion then added another sick air frontside 3 to leave Traversa firmly under the cosh and requiring a 9.14 point wave. TT tried to pull out all of his tricks in response, but this time around he couldn’t prevent Siver from marching on.

Next up for Siver, who had won 5 consecutive heats by this point, was 3-time world champion Kauli Seadi (99NoveNove / Hot Sails Maui / MFC) and the American made the more explosive start to the heat as he stomped another frontside 3, however on this occasion he couldn’t back it up as he fell on his next turn. Siver added a couple of trademark hacks together with a one-handed aerial, but having seemed like the 360 was on lockdown in the heats prior to this he couldn’t quite recapture that moment of magic he required. This left the door open for Seadi to attack and attack is exactly what he did. The Brazilian unleashed a super radical goiter and backed it up with a round house cutback in the pocket to earn 9.25 points, whilst ending Siver’s comeback through the double, leaving Siver to settle for an excellent third place overall.

This left a fight for the title between reigning Aloha Classic Champion — Morgan Noireaux (JP / Hot Sails Maui) and Kauli Seadi — but in order for Seadi to win entire contest he would need to defeat Noireaux twice. In the final the Brazilian linked together several trademark fluid waves and was able to force the ultimate showdown with a Super Final.

Super Final

In the Super Final, Seadi and Noireaux, took slightly different approaches with Seadi opting to keep busy by working numerous slightly smaller waves on the inside, whilst Noireaux was happy to play the waiting game and patiently wait for the sets without panicking. This saw Seadi race into an early lead, but Noireaux’s patience eventually paid off as he came from behind to completely reverse the tables — with a combination of radical super vert aerials and powerful cutbacks under the lip paying dividends as he was awarded 8.88 points and 7 point wave scores in quick succession. The Hawaiian’s, Brazilian opponent went for broke, but it wasn’t to be for Seadi as Noireaux became the first man to successfully defend PWA Aloha Classic titles with another mightily impressive display.

Morgan Noireaux reacts to winning back-to-back Aloha Classics: “It feels amazing, to be honest I thought I’d got a 1st and a 2nd there for a little bit, so it’s nice to find out I’d won. In the first heat I thought I sailed pretty consistent and then in that second heat I made a few mistakes. I managed to catch a pretty nice set wave to bring it back though. I thought I’d lost when I came in so it’s obviously a relief to find out that I didn’t.”

On being patient in the final Noireaux added: “Yeah, I saw Kauli going for the little insiders, but I didn’t think it was worth it because I had a solid set wave in the bag already, so then I was just trying to find another wave like that opening one. - I just didn’t wanna start going goiters and what not on the inside - I just wanted to get some decent turns. Overall though it didn’t feel like I waited that long, but I’m happy that the bit of patience I showed in waiting for the bigger sets ones paid off.”

Closing Ceremony

The official closing ceremony will be held on Tuesday 10th November with the doors opening from 6 pm. The closing ceremony will be held at the Maui Arts and Cultural Centre and there will be numerous award up for grabs in a raffle, which include — Chinook Carbon boom, NoveNove board, S2 Maui sail, a Jimmy Hepp yearly subscription and more!

Tickets are available to the public at MauiArts.org for $35 or $45 at the door.

Result of the 2015 NoveNove Maui Aloha Classic: Women’s

1st Iballa Moreno (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins)

2nd Fiona Wylde (Starboard / Goya Windsurfing)

3rd Ingrid Larouche (Fanatic / North)

4th Sarah Hauser (Tabou / Simmer)

5th Vickey Abbot

6th Nayra Alonso (Fanatic / Severne)

7th Sarah-Quita Offringa (Starboard / NeilPryde / Mystic / Maui Ultra Fins)

8th Ann-Marie Reichman (Starboard / Hot Sails Maui)

9th Shawna Cropas (JP / NeilPryde)

9th Amanda Beenen (99NoveNove / Point-7)

Result of the 2015 NoveNove Maui Aloha Classic: Men’s

1st Morgan Noireaux (JP / Hot Sails Maui)

2nd Kauli Seadi (99NoveNove / Hot Sails Maui / MFC)

3rd Levi Siver (Quatro / Goya Windsurfing / MFC)

4th Thomas Traversa (Tabou / GA Sails)

5th Camille Juban (Quatro / Avanti / MFC)

6th Victor Fernández (Fanatic / North / MFC)

7th Ricardo Campello (Patrik / Point-7 / MFC)

8th Kai Lenny (Naish / MFC)

9th Kevin Pritchard (Starboard / Ezzy / MFC)

9th Marcilio Browne (Goya Windsurfing / MFC)

Check out:
    Surf-Wiki.com
    Windcraft-Sports.de

Verbrauch derzeit:
    810081.png, mit C253.
    595812.png, mit R107.
    896532.png, mit E28.

• Der goiter into pushloop von Campello war für mich der Move des Events bzw. des Jahres. Da kommt selbst Kösters Tripple Forward nich' mit!